Thread: 1990 Shadow ES Rescue

Garrett booster

1990 Shadow ES Rescue

Hi guys,

Thought I should start a build thread as I finally get moving on my next project.
    It's a 1990 Shadow ES, 2 door, 2.5 turbo, manual trans car that I picked up for a few bucks to save it from being sent to the scrapyard. It seems to have shed most of it's skin a while ago but the body is solid all around and the price was right. I brought it home a couple winters ago with a new clutch, a bad knock, and no rad or alternator. We got the engine pulled out fairly quickly but my priorities have been elsewhere lately so it never went further than that.

I decided just recently to pull the engine from my turbo mini and drop it into the ES so I can start enjoying it.
    The engine combo I will be putting in is bored out 0.020" with Wiseco forged pistons, +40's, 3 bar MAP and a Shelgame cal.
    I haven't decided on a turbo yet. Although the engine has a strong Mitsu currently, it just isn't what I'm looking for.

The goal in my head is to help it lose some weight and hopefully run into the low 13's or high 12's before the end of next summer.

Anyways here are some pictures to check out for now. I'll get started on it over the holidays when I get a few weeks off and hopefully have some good progress to show.

Thanks for looking!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 1990 Shadow ES Rescue

Good on you.
    That little shadow looks too nice to just scrap.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I bought my Shadow the same way - owner was going to send it to scrapyard. Good save. I kept the Mitsu and intercooled it. For street driving I love it, but if your goals are 12s/13s then a Mitsu isn't really going to cut it. Neat car especially with the factory sunroof.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Hybrid booster

sweeet!

turbo addict

VERY rare with the factory sunroof.

Garrett booster

Thanks for the comments guys.

So it turns out being in school leaves no time for projects.
    I finally got started this past week by pulling the engine from my Caravan. I got that rear engine van that I always wanted.

It started to rain today, because May Long weekend, so I worked in the shop pulling apart the original engine from the Shadow to see what to keep and what to scrap.
    I found some cool damage. The bearing halves spun into each other and were worn paper thin on the ends.

I also split the 523 from the damaged engine so I can put in on the new motor. It's going well so far, just lots of cleaning to do and a few parts to be ordered when the stores open again this week.
    I'd like to polish the valve cover and intake so I'll be taking my spares to work this week to try it out.

Garrett booster

Also remembered that this is an SBEC car and my van was SMEC so it'll be run stock for a while until I can get a modified SBEC set up for it.