Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New from CenCal

Hybrid booster

New from CenCal

New here, Joined a few days ago but waited to post until I knew for sure I was going to get the car i was looking at. I'm the proud new owner of a 1992 Daytona IROC with the 2.5L turbo and manual transmission. This is my first turbo vehicle I have ever owned, but I am a Dodge guy at heart. This car is going to be my new daily driver so I can give my truck a rest and fix some things on it that need done. And also save some gas money. My truck is a 2000 Dakota R/T that is modded quite a bit. It looks great in pictures, but still needs a lot of work.
    Pick of the Daytona I am buying. Yes it looks rough but mechanically in great shape.

And picture of my Dakota

Hybrid booster

Re: New from CenCal

Welcome to the forum. I like your truck, looks pretty sharp! If you have a project log for it somewhere else, please share a link!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

If the car is a 5-speed, it should do pretty good in the mileage department, auto not so much, but then, compared to a V-8 Dakota, still ok. I remember when BradP had his Dakota r/t, like he used to say, "it'll pass everything, but a gas station!".

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

looks like the Tona needs some Negative camber added to the front end.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    looks like the Tona needs some Negative camber added to the front end.
    I think that's just the angle of the picture.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I like your truck, looks pretty sharp! If you have a project log for it somewhere else, please share a link!
    I don't have a project "log" for the truck, but can list the mods on it if I remember them all. Sometimes it's just easier to list the things that haven't been changed.

Performance
    14x3 open element with filter lid
    52x55 twin bore F&B throttle body
    Mopar 4bbl M1 intake manifold
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum heads(2.02 intake/1.62 exhaust) with back cut intake valves otherwise straight out of the box
    Comp Cams 230/230 .544 lift cam
    Mopar 1.6 roller rockers
    Block bored .030
    JE SRP forged flat top pistons
    Eagle SIR Rods
    stock crank
    Mopar windage tray
    Clutch fan delete
    Mopar tri-Y mid length headers
    full 3" exhaust through Spintech muffler and no cat.
    SCT custom tune by Hemifever(Sean Powel)
    2800 stall Edge Racing converter
    Fully built trans with custom valve body by Martin Saine(MSaine Performance)
    4.10 gears
    Powertrax no-slip locker
    SPAL e-fan in custom shroud
    Had a MSD 6AL with Blaster SS coil but the 6AL took a crap on me last week so now using stock ignition.
    180 t-stat
    Hotchkis Performance full suspension and sway bars with custom tunes Bilstiens
    Caltrac traction bars
    Kenny brown X-brace
    Dual pillar pod with AEM UEGO Wideband and transmission temp guages.

Cosmetic(exterior)
    Legendary Cars(now Fiberconcepts) Pontiac Firehawk style ram air hood(functional)
    Street Scenes Gen II front bumper cover
    Street Scenes Grill inserts(plastidipped black)
    Sabre Sport CCFL Halo headlights with HID Projector retrofit and 6000K HIDs
    Xenon rear bumper cover
    Innovations Pro Sport Tonneau over(built in spoiler)
    two tone paint job
    American Racing Torq Thrust 2 wheels(very hard to find and no longer made) plastidipped with blue pin strip on wheel lip
    tinted windows
    Weathertech in channel vent visors
    painted handles
    Reflective Concepts relfective silver decals
    Billet 3rd brake light cover
    Carbon Fiber Euro style taillights
    Billet shorty antenna

Cosmetic under the hood
    various blue Powdercoated brackets and dipstick tubes
    powdercoated billet "R/T" battery hold down
    powdercoated Mopar aluminum valve covers
    tucked wire harness
    hidden vacuum lines
    painted A/C compressor, A/C lines, and alternator satin black
    Billet Tech billet t-handles on oil and transmission dipsticks, and billet washer fluid cap.

All powdercoating done myself in my garage

Cosmetic interior
    power/heated leather seats from 2006 Charger
    molded carbon fiber dash kit(covers dash bezel, floor console and door handles)
    Nu Image blue flame guages
    Corbeau 4-point racing harnesses(functional)
    Billet shift knob
    billet HVAC knobs

Sound system
    VR3 VRVD640 GPS/DVD head unit(will probably put it into the Daytona since it doesn't have a head unit in it)
    MTX Thunderform under rear seat
    two-10" IDQ DVC subs
    MTX RT2400X 750WRMS amp
    Arc audio 2-channel amp for components
    Rainbow 6.5" mids and 2" tweeters in doors
    Arc Audio coaxials in rear

I know I'm forgetting a few things and I'm always doing more stuff to it. Needs a full paint job, and block needs replaced. Need to get seats re-upholstered as they are light gray but rest of interior is what Dodge called Agate which is almost black. With the Daytona I will now have time to do stuff to the truck without worry of not having a vehicle to get to work and back.

Hybrid booster

Okay, enough about the truck, I can post a thread in the "others" folder if anyone wants to discuss it more.

This is my first turbo mopar, and first turbo car in general. One thing that I have been wondering since I took it out on the test drive. I was a little underwhelmed by the performance of the car. I realize they aren't the fastest things around in stock form, but i was really expecting it to feel a little more powerful than it did. When accelerating as the RPMs got over 4500 you could hear a fluttering sound. Seller says it was the waste gate. Wasn't paying much attention to boost gauge, and not sure how accurate dash gauge is anyways, so not sure where the boost level actually was when it was making the sound. And I was expecting some torque steer but can't say I felt any.

Second, what is "safe" in regards to RPMs when releasing the clutch to launch the car? Obviously for normal driving this doesn't matter much, but I'm far from normal in my driving habits and like to play every now and then. Can you get the wheels to spin very easily?

Third, and this is it for now until I actually get the car in my possession and drive it a little more I swear. The HVAC blower isn't working on any setting. Seller thinks it may just be a fuse. I've talked to another guy I know with couple TBI Daytonas and he said it may be a fuse or a relay. If it did turn out to b the blower motor how hard are those to replace? Where I'm at I kind of need working heat in the winter to defog the windows.

Hybrid booster

Wow!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The fluttering may be the reason why you feel underwhelmed, as that is the blow-off valve in the air box potentially leaking boost.

It may not be bad in its self, it could be vacuum lines leaking. Or you're spoiled/jaded by your truck!

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 11-26-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site!

Hybrid booster

welcome, where in central cali?

Hybrid booster

Fresno area, NAS Lemoore specifically.

Hybrid booster

Just bought my first mod for the car. Ordered a set of the Booger shifter bushings. The shifter in the car is VERY sloppy.

turbo addict

+1 to what Zin said. Check the hoses for leaks. Still a stock 2.5 with a mitsu and no i/c and stock exhaust isn't something to get all excited about when it comes to acceleration. A bigger garrett, ported exhaust manny, 3" exhaust, and a good intercooler will wake the car up. Then it's 2 piece intake or big plenum intake with a ported head. Ditch the Balance Shafts, UDP and aluminum flywheel. After that larger turbo, ATP swingvalve if keeping the internal gate etc.

Welcome to the site, and congrats on your turbo Daytona! I had a white TI 3rd gen IROC also and really liked it.

You mention being underwhelmed with the power...make sure the rod from the vacuum canister that operates the wastegate hasn't popped off the arm. Once I bought a blue IROC that had this problem and it was apparent right away. Also check out the rubber intake hose leading from the turbo to the throttle body. If it comes off down by the turbo it's difficult to see, and it won't build much boost, if any at all.

Good luck, keep us updated, and continue with the pics!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Got it home tonight. On the drive few things I noticed. Won't build over 4psi of boost and you can hear the fluttering starting at about 3700RPM, which is also where it reached the 4psi and didn't go any higher. at one point it actually felt like it was slowing down when trying to accelerate in 2nd gear above 4000RPMs. Tends to wander a bit at highway speeds. Not sure if the ball joints are worn out or what. It does need an alignment though. Can't wait for the booger shifter bushings I ordered to get here because at one point the shift cable came off the shifter and I wasn't able to get it into gear. Happened after I popped it into neutral while slowing down for a light. Easy fix to just reach up inside the center console and slip it back on. Luckily I had done enough research to know how it worked, and knew the car needed new bushings, to make that the first thing I checked. All the lights and switches for the lights work, even the factory fog lights. Needs new windsheild wipers before I try that switch.

Seller informed me he already removed the balance shafts, but that was on my list of things to do. Just one less thing I need to do now. Also he has just straight water in the cooling system now and I don't think there is a thermostat installed because it ran fairly cold. So will need to get a thermostat installed and anti-freeze in it before the new waterpump he has in it is ruined from no lubrication. He included a factory intercooler set up with the radiator, just need to put it in and he doesn't know if the fan on the radiator works. He already installed the bigger garrett from an 86 Shelby Z.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Welcome to the site, and congrats on your turbo Daytona! I had a white TI 3rd gen IROC also and really liked it.

You mention being underwhelmed with the power...make sure the rod from the vacuum canister that operates the wastegate hasn't popped off the arm. Once I bought a blue IROC that had this problem and it was apparent right away. Also check out the rubber intake hose leading from the turbo to the throttle body. If it comes off down by the turbo it's difficult to see, and it won't build much boost, if any at all.

Good luck, keep us updated, and continue with the pics!
    Thanks for the info, will check these things tomorrow when I have time in the daylight to play with it.

Hybrid booster

First fill up before leaving Fresno

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Welcome to the turbo side of the house HSKR Yep, 4 PSI is not gonna win any stoplight trials Actually it's probably good that you drove it some in it's current tune, that way when you get it sorted it will impress you Now that you're a Daytona owner *if* you did want to move upscale to the the topline model/powerplant, I have one a few hundred miles from you that needs a new home. I've mentioned it to some SoCal club guys but not posted it FS anywhere yet. I need the space tho, it's gotta go. LMK if any interest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Cluster.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	47867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Motor.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	47868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IROC RT Drivers side.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	47869  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Welcome!

Hybrid booster

Well, think I figured out part of the wandering feeling and the out of alignment thing. Seller had different size tires on driver and passenger sides. 215/50 on passenger side and 215/60 on drivers side. Put the 215/50s on the front no and 215/60s are on the back. Hope nothing got hurt driving it for 40 miles with different tires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast