Thread: 89 tona with 90psi compression

Mitsu booster

89 tona with 90psi compression

Hello there helpful people! I have an 89 tona with the 2.5l turbo. The other weekend i started to blow smoke and smelt like oil. Checked my oil and was very low. Then ran a compression test nearly sh*t a brick. 89-92psi all the way across. I tore the motor apart and checked the gap on the rings, .028-.032 on all 8 compression rings(my friend gapped the rings without measuring...). Got my piston measured and it's .020 over. So i got new rings and they all measure .026 gap right out of the box... I was told from a machine shop that the machine shop that did the bore on my block may have gone .021 or .022 over.. but instinsted that .026 ring gap should not cause that much of a drop if a drop at all in compression... Head gasket is also brand spankin new as well as arp head bolts(torqued down to 80ft lbs with the grease on the washers as they gave in the box) came timing and ingition timing done at same time, crank and intermediate shaft line up and cam gear hole is lined up with the 3rd notch on valve cover. And the test was performed wet. I am going to do a dry and the wet test to see if there is any change in results.. as well as retard or and then advance cam timing by one tooth to see changes... any suggestions would be great!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 89 tona with 90psi compression

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but I still have to ask. You're doing the test with the throttle wide open and no restrictions in the system right?

Mitsu booster

No i forgot about WOT during a comp test.. with be testing again tonight, WOT dry and wet. And restriction as in? Turbo and exhaust is bolted on, throttle body is bolted, but no intercooler piping. All plugs are out during test and battery is on charger @60amp

****UPDATE******

FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! cam was 2 teeth off! all 4 cyl are back up into the 140's psi compression with a wet test @ WOT. I performed the dry test as well and 0-3psi change.

Tip on easy cam timing for the future, line up the oval hole on the cam with the second line on the valve cover.. NOT the 3rd... hahaha
    Last edited by Shawnethan; 11-20-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Really glad to hear that you've got it figured out. That happens to all of us at some point.

Mitsu booster

Ya haha i just cant wait to put it all back together! If i could keep up with vettes 2 teeth off cam and 90psi comp, i cant imagine what this car is capable of now! Haha