Thread: Converting a cummins "throttle valve" to a exhaust cutout.

turbo addict

Converting a cummins "throttle valve" to a exhaust cutout.

So I snagged a couple of these from a dealer I use to work at with the thought that someday I would use one to build a exhaust cutout. they measure out to over 3"! I am not sure how the ECU controls them, or why they even have them but they are a aluminum body with a SS butterfly and throttle shaft. Very beefy! When I tore one apart it had a circuit board that had obviously had the smoke let out of it, and a 380ish sized electric motor with a decent amount of gear reduction. Pretty cool part and thats why I saved them from the scrap bin. This is what they look like.

I have had a problem with the local po-po's and the not very loud exhaust on my turbo neon. The way the law is written the only way to make it legal is to put a stock muffler on it, and I hate to neuter the car! Ive been toying with the idea of putting a exhaust cutout on it anyways, because I wanted more flow but didnt want to spend the $$$ on big exhaust and mufflers to make it tolerable since the car is my DD. Ive came up with many diffrent ways off opening and closing one of these throttle valves, from a cable to using a modified window regulator. But I wasnt happy with any of them. I also didnt want to use a off the shelf cutout because they are expensive, and even the good ones seem to fail. There is a reason they sell replacement motors for the good ones.

Then today I had a epiphany! I had always planned on tossing the motor/gears the throttle valves came with because they are straight gears not a worm drive so just opening or closing the valve with the motor would not have kept it open or closed. But then it hit me, why not build a cam type spring system to hold it open and closed? So with it open or closed the spring puts pressure on it to keep it where I want it! The motor will open and close it, it will just have to have enough power to overcome the spring, but once it does the spring will slam it open or shut. Nice and simple. The motor/gear assembly is sealed so it should hold up fine to water/dirt that the underside of a car see's. Obviously I will have to extend the throttle shaft and come up with a way to seal that, but I don't see that as a huge problem. Here is the system I came up with. The top pic is closed, middle is with it half open, the bottom is closed. Its MS paint, so its not really to scale or anything, but it gives you a idea of what I am planning.

Brown is the exhaust pipe
    Grey is the throttle valve
    Red is the butterfly
    Yellow is the spring

So hows it look to you guys? My only fear is that I will have to use too heavy of a spring to keep it closed and not blow open. But since the shaft is centered it shouldn't take very much force to keep it closed should I? The motor is a 380 sized but is very long and should have good TQ. Obviously I want to use the lightest spring possible to keep the load off the motor as much as possible. These do have a built in return spring in them that is pretty beefy (that I will be removing) so I don't think it will be a big problem. I also think these should have been designed for a million duty cycles so I would think that me only using the motor to open and close it, it should last forever. W.P._Turbocars has been using a modified TB as a cutout for years with no problems and this thing is much beefier then a TB.

So thoughts? Will it be a massive failure or a great success? Once I start modding it I plan on taking pics and will be updating this thread so others can do the same thing, unless someone finds a massive flaw in my plan and I abandon the project and go another route.

turbo addict

Re: Converting a cummins "throttle valve" to a exhaust cutout.

damn, I thought of this and there was one sitting in the bin at work. Probably never have one in there again lol.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Do it with a spring like an ebrake. No electric anything to break.. that is the way to go.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

What do you mean Rrider? Use a cable to open it? That was my original plan. I was going to use a choke cable. But then I have to figure out how to fish the cable through the floor and mount it somewhere. But I think this will work better and be much easier to install.

It will leak, and if it is not routed outside the car it will make you feel sick if you drive it far. They sell 3" eletric cut outs for ~$100 that do the same thing. There are also manual cut outs. The only cut outs that don't leak are ones that don't have a butterfly valve.

turbo addict

Have you used this sort of valve as a cutout before Tkelly? Or just basing that it will leak off of experience with all butterfly style cutouts? Honestly a small exhaust leak wont bother me, this is about getting good exhaust flow and not getting pulled over all the time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

All blade type cut-outs leak. I have a ATP one and it leaks a tiny amount. The only ones that don't leak are the ones that roll the blade, can't think of the company right now.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Looking at the angle of the grey part on the diagram- I think once it opens the spring will hold it open forever. Unless you have some kind of cable to pull it closed. I was thinking like a clutch cable or ebrake type cable would be strongest. Maybe that is overkill though?

A little exhaust leak shouldn't be a big deal if its under the car.
    MinivanRider

boostaholic

Take a look at this product that was just released by a local company, interesting idea.

http://www.maperformance.com/map-uni...i-ex-damp.html

turbo addict

Rrider, the unit has a motor that is controlled by the ECU from the factory to open and close the valve. I am going to bypass the circuit board that originally operated it and just use a spring loaded 3 position switch. Down will turn the motor clockwise, center will be no power, and up will be counter clockwise. The spring setup is just to hold it open or closed. Since the unit isnt a worm drive, the motor wont hold it open or closed. Im hoping once the motor overcomes the "cam" the spring will actually finish opening or closing it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Take a look at this product that was just released by a local company, interesting idea.

Would be interesting to see if they had different sizes and some reviews.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 01-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Just released the product this week, I do not know anyone interested in adding that to their car yet, and no reviews yet.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post

Interesting but I can't see how it would work. First, you'd have to cut your exhaust open, secondly, it uses the actual exhaust pipe to seal, and honestly, 99% of pipe isn't perfectly round.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Interesting but I can't see how it would work. First, you'd have to cut your exhaust open, secondly, it uses the actual exhaust pipe to seal, and honestly, 99% of pipe isn't perfectly round.
    I don't think it needs to seal, its just making everything smaller. My real question is how well will the engine run with that much backpressure. I don't know that the backpressure will actually quiet things down as much as it will make things...weird for the engine. Muffler will flow and make things quiet.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

That "exhaust restrictor" deal just looks like a bad idea to me. Without some testing I would never buy one. I would think below 3k it would still be loud, and thats where I have issues with the po-po. Although I found a pretty big hole in the WA state exhaust laws... Just not sure if I want to test it in front of a judge or not

turbo addict

the inline restricter works on hondas and small displacement engines, been around for a LONG time (well at least 99 that i remeber using one), and they "work", but more for n/a engines.

Hybrid booster

I made one from a 4.7 throttle body last year. I used a throttle cable from a Caravan and made a lever from a on old headlight switch. I set the minimum airflow all the way down. It hardly leaks at all. It's in my build thread here toward the middle of the page-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...uild&p=1023764

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a little exhaust leak that made me dizzy. I wound up using the flange to put the exhuast out the side so the leak wouldn't bother me. I never closed the thing, it sounded too cool.