Thread: Wanted - P4286820 or P4286821 L-body headlight covers (84-up)

Garrett booster

Wanted - P4286820 or P4286821 L-body headlight covers (84-up)

I have been looking for a set of OEM Direct Connection / Mopar Performance headlight covers for quite a while now. I am confident that "somewhere" out there, there is a set of these covers on a shelf in a back room. So far, I haven't been able to find that shelf, however.

Specifically, I'm looking for DC/MP part# P4286820, or P4286821, which are the clear or tinted headlight covers for a 2-door, 4 headlight L body car/truck.

I know that there are aftermarked headlight covers available, but in order to run headlight covers on my Rampage for Land Speed Racing attempts, the covers must be OEM Mopar goodies.

If you happen to know where I might be able to get a set of these covers, I'd really appreciate it if you could share the info.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Wanted - P4286820 or P4286821 L-body headlight covers (84-up)

ran those on partsvoice.com nothing out there

Garrett booster

Thanks for trying. That's the story I've been getting, but deep down in my gut, I just know that there's a pair of these stashed somewhere.

Steve.

Hybrid booster

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

$169.00!!!??? WOW, gouge-Ola!!

Almost seems like a set-up, I have to think someone would be willing to part with a set on their car for less than that!

Still, they are available, hopefully you have time to wait for a better deal, if not, at least they are obtainable!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That set does not work. Unfortunately the 4-light front end uses totally different pieces.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I know that $169 may sound high for those 2-headlight covers, but I would be willing to pay that much for the correct 4-light units. They seem to be virtually unobtanium, but I will keep looking until I find some.

I've never been to a big meet like Carlisle, which might be my best chance to find a set.

Steve.

Garrett booster

In fact, I'll offer up $200 to anyone who can supply the correct DC/MP parts.

Hybrid booster

They are high, but they are a legit company, bought a speedometer head nos from them for my Rampage. Been to their yard and warehouse in Georgia.

Garrett booster

Yes, they are reputable sellers, and they have the correct headlight covers for a pre-84 2-door L-body, or any year Shelby Charger. I know another guy who bought a set of covers from them for his '83 Rampage LSR truck, and he was happy to pay the price. The bad news is they don't have any of the one's I need. I have been looking for about a year and a half, and have not seen a single pair of the correct covers come up for sale. It's not that I'm not willing to pay, the issue is that there are none available for sale, trade, etc.

I've never even seen a photo of the correct covers, only the covers for the '83 and prior 2-doors, and all years Shelby Charger.

Steve.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

For $200 bucks I'd be tracing some plexiglass...
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Here is the contact info for the parent company of GT Styling. Last time I contacted them about an oddball old application, they said they could still make them.

http://www.teamxenon.com/pages/contactUs.php

Here is their application guide.

http://teamxenon.com/pdf/GTS_APP_GUI...ZB%2CoUlmkSIL5

The part number you are looking for is GT0608S.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Yep, the GTS covers are still commercially available, but are not legal for SCTA competition. Unfortunately, there is no getting around the rules on this. It's not worth losing a potential land speed record due to the use of non-OEM parts.

In order to qualify under the Gas Coupe & Diesel Truck rules, any covers must be OEM, and it is the competitor's responsibility to show that they are OEM (Direct Connection / Mopar Performance). As far as the bodywork goes, this is essentially a "factory stock" body class for the purposes of sanctioning within SCTA and ECTA. The logic goes along the lines that back in '84, a Rampage could have been purchased from the dealer, with dealer installed DC/MP headlight covers, as purchased from any Dodge dealer. That qualifies those pieces for competition use. No aftermarket or homemade covers are allowed for this class.

Sad but true - my only option for headlight covers are P4286820 and/or P4286821.

Ahh. Ok. Now I get it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Were they the OEM supplier? I suspect they were and just private labeled them for DC /MP, if so they may be able to reproduce them and satisfy the rules.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Were they the OEM supplier? I suspect they were and just private labeled them for DC /MP, if so they may be able to reproduce them and satisfy the rules.
    I am sure they manufactured them for Direct Connection. By this same token, if you needed to replace a windsheild, hood or fender, or plastic bumper cover, you would not be able to use readily available aftermarket replacement parts?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Garrett booster

This is not a point that I am going to argue with the sanctioning body.

No one will protest a replacement hood or fender, provided it has the original shape and contour. But when I show up with a Rampage that is sporting headlight covers, there is a much higher likelihood of another competitor protesting, especially if I'm successful in running above the existing record.

Gotta play by the rules. OEM headlight covers only.

How about if they reproduced them with the OEM part numbers? As in, an exact duplication of the part they sold in the past, should be no different than a second run of the same part as sold back in the day... So long as they have the correct identifying markings/numbers, there should be no room to protest! I don't think anyone expects you to have to use parts from the same time period, after all this isn't a Pebble Beach Concourse event!

At any rate, best of luck in finding what you need to succeed!

Mike

- Edmund Burke