Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this god awful noise

turbo addict

What is this god awful noise

I cannot figure this noise out. It's none of the accessories cause I have taken that off already while its running. Changed the oil pump yesterday and no dice. Makes this noise when the car is coming up to temperature then goes away. Help

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/bgb...ibXnA.mp4.html

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: What is this god awful noise

I'm thinking transmission, mostly because you've eliminated likely engine suspects.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I can feel the oil pan vibrate. Put my hand on the trans pan and not so much. No change in sound when in neutral drive or reverse only seems to be affected by the temp of the engine. Could be coming thru the trans to the crank I guess tho

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That's the trouble with noises in cars, they can seem to come from one place, but are really from another, or are actually coming from where it seems to be coming from!

I does sound a bit like a bad roller/ball bearing, as might be found in a manual trans, tough on for sure!

Hopefully someone out there has had this problem/heard this noise before and can offer more substantial help.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

It's an auto haha but thanks for the input. Im at a loss at this point. The car runs dam good and oil pressure seems to be good and doesn't fluctuate when it makes the noise anyways.

Get one of them stethiscopes from harbor freight and listen to the block at both end of the intermediate shaft .Also the belt tensioner.

turbo addict

It appears to be a 2.5 from the VC paint. Is it a 2.5? Does it still have the balance shafts? If it does I would tear it down and make sure they are timed right. EVO's use a belt for their BS and my buddy found out his were 180 off when he put cams in his car and re timed the motor. He always thought the vibration was just the car, it is SOO much smoother now.

turbo addict

It's an 88 2.2 no bs on this deal.

Whats weird is as soon as it gets some heat into it the sound goes away

Garrett booster

Torque convert bolts backing out?

turbo addict

I can check that but why would that go away once it gets a little warmth into it.

turbo addict

Wrist pin slap?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Just sounds like a worn out trans pump. And a trans pump has a more direct connection to the engine than the trans so it would make sense for the noise to resonate through the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqLVcuw31E
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Just sounds like a worn out trans pump. And a trans pump has a more direct connection to the engine than the trans so it would make sense for the noise to resonate through the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqLVcuw31E

Thats close to the sound. 60k on the car tho and it's worn already. Crazy

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Thats close to the sound. 60k on the car tho and it's worn already. Crazy
    I agree - sounds like a trans pump.
    Check if the transmission cooler anti-drain back check ball has been omitted.
    Removing it is a popular trick to help cooler flow BUT it also allows the system to drain down over night.
    When the TC drains, the pump realizes a lack of flow and gulls the pump gears.
    This could explain any premature pump wear/failure.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    I agree - sounds like a trans pump.
    Check if the transmission cooler anti-drain back check ball has been omitted.
    Removing it is a popular trick to help cooler flow BUT it also allows the system to drain down over night.
    When the TC drains, the pump realizes a lack of flow and gulls the pump gears.
    This could explain any premature pump wear/failure.
    is the check valve internal or external. I put an external oil cooler on but it did it with the stock rad also

turbo addict

When you can't find the noise anywhere else...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    When you can't find the noise anywhere else...
    Well looky there !
    This looks like the TC side - Have the mounting perch areas been ground or was the TC loose and scrubbed by the TC pads?
    A loose TC or poorly balanced unit will certainly cause that.
    Was the vehicle still drivable with this condition?
    This is a good point !

'bxbmixer',
    This is a good point of interest, pull the lower housing inspection cover, check for loose TC bolts, and look for witness/fracture marks near the crank flange.

With your question, the cooler check ball can be located mid-line (typical), in a end of line boss fitting (where the line attaches to the trans), or in the trans (not typical).

turbo addict

Well looky there !
    This looks like the TC side - Have the mounting perch areas been ground or was the TC loose and scrubbed by the TC pads?
    This is a good point !

'bxbmixer',
    This is a good point of interest, pull the lower housing inspection cover, check for loose TC bolts, and look for witness/fracture marks near the crank flange.

With your question, the cooler check ball can be located mid-line (typical), in a end of line boss fitting (where the line attaches to the trans), or in the trans (not typical).
    I will check the fittings coming out of the trans for the check ball your talking about and pull the inspection cover also.

turbo addict

Well looky there !
    This is a good point !
    Glad you liked my picture.

This was a friend's Chrysler TC by Maserati at least 5 years back. I don't remember much, other than he said the car would make loud knocking noise during idle and the car was drivable, even at freeway speed, and it would make low/no noise while car is moving.

turbo addict

A pretty easy way to tell if the center of the flexplate has broken out is set the engine to TDC on #1 according to the timing marks on the timing belt pullies, then check the timing window on the transmission. If it doesn't jive, then it's a good possibility the center of the flexplate has broken out.

I agree with others, though...that sounds like the transmission pump. Could be power steering pump, too...take the belt off and see if the noise goes away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast