Thread: Lbody a520 swap

Garrett booster

Lbody a520 swap

the 525 bit the dust in my Sc...matter of time. i have a good a520 in the corner of the shop, what all do i need the do the swap? i thought there was a list on here some place but i cant seem to find it. note...i wanta keep it lowish buck, cause i plan unloading the car real soon (i do plan on the omni potent rod shift conversion tho) thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Lbody a520 swap

You either need the unequal length axles from an '89-'90 Omni with an automatic, or two driver's side axles from that car along with a Daytona/Shadow/LeBaron intermediate shaft if you want to keep the equal length setup. Also, if you still have the stock EGR tube in place, you'll have to cut a small ear off the trans case right by the starter. That's really about it.

Do make sure you use the current mount and bracket that's already in the car.

Hybrid booster

The way I did it in mine when I swapped in a Shelby Z TII/A520 in my Omni was getting the large spline un-equal length CV axles out of a 1990 Dodge Omni Automatic. Has to be auto since the standards were small spline axles I believe. You need the large spline axles which fit into the trans nice and snug. You'll also need the bracket on the k member to hold the rear engine shock/mount thing. I believe that turbosunleashed sells the bracket that you can weld on OR you can just go get any K member off of a 1989-1990 Omni or Horizon with a standard transmission since it already has the bracket welded on from the factory. you might need to get a new shifter as well. The shifter I used is out of a 1989 Shadow with shadow shifter cables. You might be able to get away with Daytona cables in a Charger, although I believe the throw might be a little long

Garrett booster

I'm going to try to not use the cable shifter, and just use the omnipotent conversion, i just dont wanta drill holes on the floor and monkey around with it.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I use spirit axles, There was no fitment issue either. I took 2 driver side axles and a shadow Int shaft, You will need to center the power train after. These axles are way stronger than the crappy 1990 auto Omni axles, Trust me I have broken 3 Omni axles and never a spirit axle