Thread: The first blue talon.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

The first blue talon.

Never really put any of this over here, because it's a DSM.

But figured, I'd share some of this story since the car has taught me A LOT over the past few years.

First off, this is DSM #4. (I now have DSM #5, another blue one - but stock and a daily driver) #1 was a black one, AWD auto that suffered a transmission failure within.. literally minutes of taking possession. But stubborn me, didn't take this as a sign and kept with the platform. DSM #2 was a white one that was picked up in pieces. This one was a manual AWD car. So #1 and #2 were put together to make one decently running DSM. This car would go one to be a daily driver for a few years with no real issues other than the rust. DSM #3 and #4 came into the picture around the same time. #3 was a 2.4L N/A Spyder and #4 is the blue car that this thread is about. The Spyder was going to be daily, and was brielfy before selling it to get the Mustang. The blue car, (#4) was to become the project body donor for the now really rusty white car. And here's where the fun began.

Here's what was started with:

Car had a good body. That's all it really had going for it.

Previous owner was a typical moron, and ruined virtually everything on the car. Time will go on to tell just how screwed up most of this car was.

Everything from cut wiring all over the car, to those headlights that do not fit, to mismatched interior, stripped and out or missing bolts altogether. Important bolts; like ones that hold the transfer case in. Kid also had some ebay coil overs on blown struts that were installed crooked. Luckily, the plan was to take all the good stuff from the white one and transfer it over to this car. So all his "race car" stuff could go straight to the garbage.

Black/grey interior sourced with EVO 8 Recaro seats:

Also, since it was down.. got the engine rebuilt:

97/98 Talon conversion:

Buy August 2011, the car ran and drove for the first time in over a year.

Still had some hiccups, but nothing major. Was officially on the road in September and went to its first event: Monster "monsoon" Mopar in Indy.
    Last edited by dodgeshadowchik; 11-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Re: The first blue talon.

Here's the list of what's been done to the car:

-evo316g
    -megan racing o2 and downpipe, thermal RD exahust
    -ETS Street FMIC, Tial BOV,
    -DSMLink V3 on speed densisty, 4-bar map
    -FP2 272/272 cams; titunium springs and retainers
    -head was slightly ported and cleaned up; but nothing major. It was heat damaged pretty badly (came with a car I bought) and they have to take a ton of material off to get the warping out. I did make up for this by using a rather thick Cometic head gasket. However, I'd like to check the actual compression on this engine, as truthfully, I am not sure with these variables.
    -engine was sent out, bored over .020, decked, line honed, rotating assembly balanced and all that good stuff.
    -JE forged piston with the stock compression ratio (or so i think, see note above about the cylinder head) But it should be close to 8.5:1, as long as I did the math right.
    -ARP head studs, rod bolts, ect.
    -stock rods. (my biggest regret, but at the time I wasn't looking for something to make huge power, but wanted the extra knock protection the forged pistons provide)
    -ACL bearings
    -FP exhaust maniold and FP intake.

Car has been running now for over two years; made it through Drag Week, two DSM Shootouts, Monster Mopar a few times, and SDAC. Up until last week, when a bolt came loose and found its way into the timing belt, it really has not had any issues. A new belt was installed over the weekend.

Here's the most recent photos:

The car's best 1/4 time to date is an 11.7@116mph that JT ran. I managed to get close to that with an 11.9@117mph. Which, truthfully, never thought would be possible on a car that's still over 3000lbs with that little turbo. Over the past year, been trying to learn how to drive correctly. This time last year the car was running low 13's. Started out this year in the 13's as well... then 12's and now 11's. The only changes to the car have been a Speed Density conversion and 110 octane. So sticking with the small turbo has been beneficial, as it's been teaching me how much a car can improve on time JUST in driving technique.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

That's the next step. I picked that turbo up.... sheesh.. over six months ago. It's still a "stock" frame turbo; using the DSM bolt pattern. A modified version of a Mitsu 20g.

Videos!
    11-sec runs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5Vi...T0KWOjxZRxhfTQ

Best run at the Shootout:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUFS...T0KWOjxZRxhfTQ

First time in the 12's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZ5_...T0KWOjxZRxhfTQ

Dyno stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKPG0...T0KWOjxZRxhfTQ

Pretty much a summary of 2010-2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQJ-OY4ieo

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice car!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Nice car Marybeth. How about 1 blue stripe on one mag wheel spoke? Trying to find a picture. The black on black gets lost and this sets it off a little.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

That really illustrates how much work you've done to it Hard to believe you have time for that silly little photo hobby of yours

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Wow...didn't realize how much you've done with that car! Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice car!
    haha!

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Nice car Marybeth. How about 1 blue stripe on one mag wheel spoke? Trying to find a picture. The black on black gets lost and this sets it off a little.
    Thought about that, or painting the inside of the wheel blue. But then just got to sidetracked with everything else. I just love the fact those wheels are 12 pounds a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    That really illustrates how much work you've done to it Hard to believe you have time for that silly little photo hobby of yours
    Well, it's been years in the making..... but a lot of that comes down to not only time, but money, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Wow...didn't realize how much you've done with that car! Very cool!
    Thanks.. yeah this car definitely went through a transformation. And also why I'm so attached to the darn thing now.

boostaholic

5? when are we going to see you on Hoarders? BTW, love the Maple tree shot.

Well, I do not own 5 at this time. Just 2. I'm not quite JT level in hoarding.

Well, the car is officially tucked away for the winter. Washed it, disconnected the battery, made sure the fluids were ok, and put the cover on it. It's always a sad time of year.

But before this happened, did get to take it out for one last track day. It proved to be too late in the season for that, though. With over a month of below freezing temperatures at night and constant cloud cover, the track was just too cold. Car spun like crazy off the 2-step, no matter what we tried. (playing with air pressure, and such) When I saw that none of the other cars were hooking either... kinda stopped trying to get it to hook. The big horsepower cars never even made a complete pass! JT did race it once without using the 2-step, and it bogged of the line, but managed the best 60-ft of the day.... a dismal 2.1. lol! Kinda sucks when a 16g powered AWD car is having traction issues. hahaha!

But it was fun to get it out one last time for the year. I do have some parts to order over the winter. I'd like to get actual adjustable timing gears, and the clutch master cylinder developed a leak. Also looking for a 1g throttle body, and possibly a different intake manifold, eventually. Would really like to try to get this 3100 pound car closer tot hat 10-sec range on this 16g.

So to all you folks down south: I envy you right now!

The quest for a little bit more power on a small turbo continues.

The other daily driver in the snow:

Forgot how wonderful awd and snow tires are!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Nice Project! Even though its a Talon, I think this should be in the PLOG.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

lol, thanks!

The goal this season is for just one 10.9. That's a pretty lofty goal.... so we shall see. Car does not have a cage, hence the reason for just one 10.9. lol!

A video of an AWD blue Talon slinging some snow around would be cool
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    Forgot how wonderful awd and snow tires are!
    i love winter.... when im in one of my subies and the snow tires are on. 18-24" of snow on an unplowed road? no problem.

nice transformation on the summer blue car.

my buddy mark was well into the 10's with his evo 8 with a stock evo 9 16g. shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

beautiful car. nice work