Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Twin Turbo V6 Today

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: New Twin Turbo V6 Today

I find it hard to believe that the ecoboost motors don't cost as much if not more to produce. There are a lot more parts that go on to them. Two turbos, hoses, lines, intercooler, etc. They probably spend as much if not more money per rod, piston, and valve too since it has to live with higher temps and what have you.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    HSKR, you're the new guy here and as such there is an informal policy on many boards to 'be nice to the new guy' for his first 100 posts. Ecoboost V6 lackluster compared to a V8 motor?? You know not of what you post Even all stock the Ecoboost made the E Sport a powerful fun to drive rig. For your reference with the E Sport, I am replacing my daily driver from the last 6 years a V10 Twin Turbo 2006 Volkswagon Toaureg TDI. It came stock with 553lbsft of torque, I know power when its under my right foot With a tuner and custom exhaust I have already added about 80 lbsft of torque to the Ecoboost motor, when I finish the downpipes from the turbos(Ford 'crimped' them going under the K frame to reduce engine output I suspect) I will re-dyno it on the same dyno that the baseline runs were made so Ill know for sure. IMO (and I do have *just a bit* of expeirience here, the Ecoboost powerplant is a much better option than the V8's for moving a 48XX lb rig like the Explorer Sport
    Obviously once you start modding a vehicle beyond stock any comparison to stock performance between vehicles goes out the window.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

That won out over a Durango R/T?
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    That won out over a Durango R/T?
    The Durango 3rd row seats are like sitting on wooden bleachers compared to the ESport seats. Point Ford.

The potential for modding the V6 turbo over the Hemi(supercharged would never fly in the Kommonwealth of Kalifornia) is another point in Fords favor.

I like the way cars drive and hate the way SUV's/trucks drive, just a personal preference. The Explorer Sport is a Taurus SHO police package with a tall body, it drives like a car, albeit a 4800lb one I suppose I should have driven the Durango but I am not a Mopar or No car guy, I like and own lotsa brands equally

Believe me, if someone woulda told me 5 years and two generations of Explorers ago that *I*would own/drive one someday, I'd have LOL'd

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Bloody hell, $47K? I couldn't afford the gas in that, lol. Should be a fun ride though,

There is a lot of negativity regarding the Ecoboost-poor MPG, mysterious driveability issues that Ford can't fix, brutally bad MPG when towing and not very good at towing. Quite a few sites bashing them.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    Just have to say, that is more than my house payment, ouch! Hope you like it, I've decided I'd rather spend the money on my older cars, new ones are way too expensive. As for women and cars, My opinion is if they are that shallow about what you drive then they are not worth spending the time on. Are you going to bring it out Thursday, I have to bring my bissell machine down to my dads for them to use on their carpets, so will actually make this months meeting.
    Amen. My wife loves driving my turbo Diesel van, she piss's herself laughing and calls me up when she's in hysterics.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

My buddy Pat (the guy can TIG weld!) and I spent 8 hours last Sunday crawling around under QuickSilver fabbing up downpipes. After driving for a few days I can say that I am 100 percent stoked! The turbos spool faster, it's actually quieter I suppose because the pulses don't have to 'fight' to get out of the exhaust?? and in the upper RPM's above 5K HOLY SH!T, HANG ON Seat of the pants tells me it's deep into the 13's now, was gonna do the intercooler upgrade next but I think I need to deal with the too soft OE motor mounts, when it spins into the second gear shift it feels like the whole drivetrain is shuddering My son Jagger was like 'what was that Dad??' I explained to him that the motor mounts wer designed for about 100 ftlbs of less torque
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140211_132307.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	48850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140211_121814.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	48849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140210_184659.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	48848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140209_170225.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	560.1 KB 
ID:	48847  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

boostaholic

What's with the blue gloves, you scrubbing toilets later?
    Nice fab work though.
    Better talk to Johnny about the mounts

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cool stuff; I'm wondering, not asking, about the inside of that cat.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Holy cow!! Those pipes are smooshed down on the stockers. I bet it spools a good bit faster. Do you think Ford will give you any crap for the altered components? It is becoming more common to have warranty repairs kicked back is the reason I ask.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    What's with the blue gloves, you scrubbing toilets later?
    Nice fab work though.
    Better talk to Johnny about the mounts

You want someone reaching into your spinal colomn or handling the titanium parts that are going into it with Ford grease stained all over their hands?

Update? Has the engine survived?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

LOL at the blue gloves (no offense) but I do everything nowadays with bare hands.... even sewer jobs with the various snakes we have here. Did I mention I can't even remember the last time I got sick? It's pretty disgusting what I'm exposed to as a maintenance guy at the apartement complex I work at.

Alan, are you custom fabbing most parts like the downpipes? I have seen some pretty cool stuff pop up at ATP Turbo for these vehicles. I wonder if they will come out with cool parts for the 2015 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost Turbo.

Funny you should ask Simon... I spent 5 hours last evening/night on my back in the driveway, my neck and shoulderblades are killin me today (WTF do I have a lift at the shop for anyway ) I did the 20K mile service, 3rd oil change with Royal Purple, some new plugs (the factory ones are supposed to go 100K but the gaps are too wide @ 35-38 OEM and get wider leading to misfire when running the extra boost with the reflash, it was juuust starting to miss a bit at WOT) gapped to .030, and the longest part of the 5 hours was replacing my semi-custom DP's (had stock cats) with some American Racing units that use sexy lil high flo cats One friggin nut on the rear DP was totally inaccesable with every 15MM tool I had. I was using drive up ramps and after stuggling for 3 hours with that one nut, I decided to jack the car and let the front suspension sag. That gave me barely enough clearance to go OVER the swaybar(which is mopunted ON TOP of the K frame. New DP's went in easy, cats are waaaaay smaller. The Explorer is giving me about 19MPG ave and a high of 23MPG on a drive to Vegas, not bad for 4850Lbs. It's required no nscheduled maintenance although the Air Conditioned seats are not moving as much air as they did before so either something came unplugged or the filter is blocked, so a trip to the dealer is on order for that issue.

Driving impressions, HOLY SH!T It's much faster now, zings to redline and pulls cleanly without the hesitation. Stock cats had to have been costing 30HP/30LbsFt Sore today but happy

EDIT: PICS ARE STILL TO LARGE TO LOAD! MODS? FRANK?? This is a pay to play site guys, FIX IT! If it were a freebie like 90% of the forums I wouldn't complain, AFAIK I'm still the #1 in the photo upload count but I may may never load another. And before anyone chimes in and says link it to PhotoSukit or similar, that weakens TM.COM because we don't own the photos anymore

RE EDIT: Even with the pics sized and cut in half with Paint, they still won't load. Sux
    Last edited by 2.216VTurbo; 08-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.

You say that, but Alan and I went to the yard to pull parts. He wore them, I didn't. I regretted it for the next 3 days as the oil stains slowly disappeared. Alan did give me some really cool sheets to use when laying under my car or wherever to keep from getting too dirty.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

In his defense, he can't be in an operating theater saying, "It's not oil, it's sweat from all the horsepower!"
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Glad to hear. Still too many horror story's about them exploding randomly.

turbo addict

I'm amazed that the modern stock cats are still robbing that much power (even though it's seat-o-the-pants dyno testing).

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

No updates?

Well, 75,XXX trouble free miles if that's an update. Other than the tune, downpipes, 170T stat, plugs at 35K, Law enforcement brake pad material upgrade and CAI I haven't done a thing except drive it hard nearly every day. I've won so many stoplight contests I barely even notice anymore. OK, that's a lie, it still makes me laugh maniacally every time Yesterday with a car full of carpool kids(I hope they don't tell their parents!) a modded GTI R32 found himself next to me in a 35-90 roll. He was 3 cars back at 90 shaking his head not beliving a 5000lb Soccer Mom rig just owned him

I bought a meth injection kit like a year ago, made plans to upgrade the IC and then did neither. Kit is still in the box and I'll probably just leave the adequate but smallish IC alone. It's served me well. For 2017 they have a new pewter silver color I like so I will likely transfer the rims/tires/downpipes/exhaust onto one of those soon. Been a great car, my first Ford ever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140131_095738.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	731.8 KB 
ID:	58219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140410_153953.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	58220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksilver.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	58221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150327_042148.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	58222  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

And what do you suspect it is pushing now, following those few upgrades?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast