Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Twin Turbo V6 Today

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: New Twein Turbo V6 Today

Quote Originally Posted by todge.2 View Post
    Looks like we're gonna be driving the same thing! mine is a 3.7L non twine turbo though.....
    Todge
    OMG, Now we're gonna have a Ford night ! ? Congrats to the both of you.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Factory Turbo Downpipes are hideously convoluted and crimped I've heard custom made 2.25" are worth 35HP on the same EcoBoost engine in the SHO's and F150's. According to Livernois, they don't know of any being done on the Explorer's yet, I guess I'm gonna see if 2.5" downpipes will make that kinda power. Gonna be a couple weeks to gather all the parts tho...

EDIT. Durrr, forgot to add pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksilver Downpipe and Intake Parts.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	47616  
    Last edited by 2.216VTurbo; 11-10-2013 at 05:44 AM.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Re: New Twin Turbo V6 Today

Livernois is right down the street from me. And Detroitturbo on the board here works there. Might want to PM him
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Livernois is right down the street from me. And Detroitturbo on the board here works there. Might want to PM him

Hmm, maybe he can show me how to use this Livernois programmer then

Got my Forged 19" (1" shorter than stock but 1" wider) TSW wheels today, they were on sale because of the ugly bronze(Subaru??) color.I was gonna have them powdercoated body color anyway so no biggie. Should be 10-13 lbs lighter than stock per wheel, I'll weigh them side by side when they are finished and the tires are mounted. Going from a 255/50/20 to a 275/55/19 gives me an extra inch of sidewall and they are only 2% larger on rolling diameter. A softer ride will be welcome, the sport suspension is a bit harsher than I'd like in my 'client car' There are lots more tire choices in an 18" rim but thats getting too small for Quicksilver. Ha, never thought I'd say an 18" rim was too small Times change i suppose...

Name:	Quicksilver Forged TSW 19's.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	47721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksilver Forged TSW Rims.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	47722  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

They look good!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

I second that. And your cropping skilz are also noted.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Nice work Alan...
    And I'll be watching your progress.
    I've wonder if the ecoboost v6 would be worth going to the darkside...er, or more like "blue oval" side...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Nice work Alan...
    And I'll be watching your progress.
    I've wonder if the ecoboost v6 would be worth going to the darkside...er, or more like "blue oval" side...
    According to this months Car & Driver Mag, Ford is putting ALL their eggs in the EcoBoost basket. The lil 2l for small/mid size cars, the 3.6 for the SHO/truck/performance line and new to be unveiled the V8 EcoBoost (2015 Mustang) coming in at 600+ HP. So far, I like it, 17.4 MPG on the last tank but I'm driving a lil heavy foot on the first few tanks

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Is that a Porsche 928 I see in the driveway? You might want to look at www.atpturbo.com Looks like they are doing some good things with the V6 Ecoboost.

Finally have all my exhaust componants collected. Will look factory from the topside but flow like a MoFo 45WHP sounds good to me

Name:	Quicksilver Ex Componants.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	48104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksilver Burns Stainless.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	48105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksilver Ex Componants 2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	48106  

turbo addict

oh the single life, just lay the car parts out on the dining room floor Looks nice Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    oh the single life, just lay the car parts out on the dining room floor Looks nice Alan.
    Actually I like a clean house myself,two nice Hispanic ladies show up every other Monday and make it that way. Besides,its not like they are *greasy* parts...

Jeremy, I didnt see your last post til now, its not a secret car or anything, you can find it in my sig line and I think Ive put some pics in threads here. It is my first Porsche and now it appears that Ive found my second,best part is,the new one is 'pre smog' (1975 and older in Cali)

turbo addict

One word for you....LIVERNOIS!!!!!! They have a 12 second Flex....their tunning on a ST gained only 32 hp, but over110 ft lbs of TK!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    OMG, Now we're gonna have a Ford night ! ? Congrats to the both of you.
    I don't own mine....Its owned by the Kommonwealth of Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by todge.2 View Post
    I don't own mine....Its owned by the Kommonwealth of Kalifornia
    Yeah but you get free gas in yours, dunno about the Interceptor version that you drive but mine is a thirsty b!tch! Mines Livenios tuned now and has a custom exhaust, thing is a rocketGuys on the Ecoboost perfomance forums are running 14.20's equiped with chip/exhaust. Not that I'd ever drag race an SUV-thats sillyness BTW can you get an extra grill like the one in your loaner?? That piece is bad a$$ and seemingly not avail to the public

turbo addict

Drag Racing my Liberty was some of the most fun I've had at the track, It's consistent down to the hundreth, and you can really play with shallow and deep staging with the big tires on it. We were running handicapped king of the hill racing and put a lot of 12 second muscle cars and even a high 9 second bike on the trailer that day. Came home with a 1st place trophy. The guy on the bike was upset. Was cool to watch him leave the line and try to catch us from 1/2 way down the track. The lady driving a 12 second Nova was literally pissed off and flipped us the bird as we drove by after getting our timeslip.

Hybrid booster

From what I've seen, the Eco boost motors, especially the V6in the F-150s are lackluster and don't make any better gas mileage than the V8 options. Even though that's the whole selling point of the Eco-boost is the gas mileage. It's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy a cheaper motor option and pay more for it.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Cheaper motor option? The ECOboost gets similar gas mileage to the 5.0 V8 option, and has more power (365 vs. 360 and torque 420 vs 380), and there is already a ton more aftermarket support for it. All the Chevy commercials touting their 1-2 mpg better motors fail to mention they make less power (v6 285/305 5.3L v8 355/383).
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Cheaper motor option? The ECOboost gets similar gas mileage to the 5.0 V8 option, and has more power (365 vs. 360 and torque 420 vs 380), and there is already a ton more aftermarket support for it. All the Chevy commercials touting their 1-2 mpg better motors fail to mention they make less power (v6 285/305 5.3L v8 355/383).
    Cheaper motor option in that it doesn't cost them as much to produce but they can charge more for it being an "eco" friendly motor. And like you said, it gets similar gas mileage as the V8 but doesn't have as good of performance. You can't look just at quoted or even peak power numbers. There is a lot more to overall performance than the peak quoted numbers. Such as where does the power come on, where does it drop off, what does the power curve look like, and where does all this happen in relation to the shift points.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Cheaper motor option in that it doesn't cost them as much to produce but they can charge more for it being an "eco" friendly motor. And like you said, it gets similar gas mileage as the V8 but doesn't have as good of performance. You can't look just at quoted or even peak power numbers. There is a lot more to overall performance than the peak quoted numbers. Such as where does the power come on, where does it drop off, what does the power curve look like, and where does all this happen in relation to the shift points.
    HSKR, you're the new guy here and as such there is an informal policy on many boards to 'be nice to the new guy' for his first 100 posts. Ecoboost V6 lackluster compared to a V8 motor?? You know not of what you post Even all stock the Ecoboost made the E Sport a powerful fun to drive rig. For your reference with the E Sport, I am replacing my daily driver from the last 6 years a V10 Twin Turbo 2006 Volkswagon Toaureg TDI. It came stock with 553lbsft of torque, I know power when its under my right foot With a tuner and custom exhaust I have already added about 80 lbsft of torque to the Ecoboost motor, when I finish the downpipes from the turbos(Ford 'crimped' them going under the K frame to reduce engine output I suspect) I will re-dyno it on the same dyno that the baseline runs were made so Ill know for sure. IMO (and I do have *just a bit* of expeirience here, the Ecoboost powerplant is a much better option than the V8's for moving a 48XX lb rig like the Explorer Sport

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast