Thread: Bluey :)

Garrett booster

Bluey :)

This is the story of Bluey:

Found this car on craigslist for sale a few years back. 1991 Daytona. Complete base model. 2.5L TBI, factory non-A/C, 523, manual windows, manual locks, no cruise control, no sunroof, no overhead console, but it has power mirrors! Whoo! The guy was asking a little much for this vigorously winter driven Daytona which was making a "knocking noise," $900. I left it alone. A few months later it shows up again for $600. Still no appeal. Then about a half a year later, it pops up for $300. I had a Daytona I wanted to convert from auto to 5-speed, and I figured pedals, cables, shifter, console, trans, bobble strut mounting would cost about that much anyway, and this saved me the hassle of scavenging them. So I went to go see it. I was hoping to be able to drive it home, about 30 minutes away, but the motor was klanking like nothing I've heard. I could barely get the car up to speed, felt like a sledgehammer was pounding on it every few seconds. I told the guy that I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to pass, I doubt it'll make it home. He asked me what would I give him for it anyway. I said I'd do no more than $150, since that's what a trans alone would cost me from the local yards here. After some negotiating, more test driving, and finally walking away from the car, the guy runs up to me and says fine, I'll sell it for $150. Well, the car did end up eventually making it home. Once on the highway at 55mph, and keeping the motor almost at not load, the motor seemed to achieve a perfect harmonic synchronization with the klanking and would run silky smooth!

Here are the first shots my buddy Ron made after he washed it for me

The car had a very rare type of life. Extreme chicago winters all its life...and it was garage stored all its life. So the paint looked great but had very rusty rear wheel wells and rockers. Despite the outer sheet metal being rusty, the floorpan is all there and there is almost no rust on it nor on the frame rails, so structurally it is very sound. I hated having to winter drive my other Daytonas, so I decided to throw in a 100K mile junkyard motor that I had laying around and it'd serve as my winter beater. Well, the car drove pretty well, motor ran good, but I decided to do a full tune-up on it just to maximize my fuel efficiency. Spent $50 on rockauto and got new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, and most importantly, a new O2 sensor! Well, turns out that two of the spark plugs in that junkyard motor's head were cross threaded in by the previous owner. One I got out after drenching myself in sweat, but the other one snapped flush with the hole in the head. Could not get the rest of it out for the life of me. I had a freshly remanufactured turbo head sitting on my shelf, which I picked up as a spare from the yard a while back for $100, I really didn't want to have to use that one, but I wasn't about to go out and buy another head when that defeats the point of me having spent the $100 to HAVE a spare head, lol. So this Daytona ended up getting a completely fresh top end! I test the fuel economy all the time, and it get 41MPG highway at 60MPH!

I frequent junkyards and haul a ton of parts and furniture, and I would always feel the scratches I would put on my other Daytonas as if they were on my own skin. The interior was already a little beat up on Bluey, and with the phenomenal fuel economy, it ended up being my year round beater. Being that it was my beater, I felt no shame in messing around with it! I had a bunch of parts laying around, so I decided to slap them on for the heck of it:

INTERIOR:
    Installed a digital instrument cluster, 6 button traveler, premium BCM, 2001 Dodge Stratus radio, and in-dash 6 disk CD changer. Don't tell me that it doesn't fit!

Redid the headliner:

Restored an overhead console to match:

SUSPENSION:
    Suspension was jelly, so I invested $300 in new struts, shocks, springs, control arm bushings, ball joints, and inner and outer tie rod ends.

MOOG bushings, they are nice and firm! No more slop when making tighter turns. And they came blue to match!

Removing shocks the only way you can up here:

Nice firm progressive rate springs. Cut them to firm them up some more and lower the car to a nice stance. Fabbed a bracket to bolt the bottom coil to the strut.

Fabbed up my own adjustable panhard bar:

Rear suspension looking good, lol.

I've taken some pretty nasty turns with this suspension to test it out relative to my other Daytonas, and I have yet not gotten the rear wheels to squeal! I'm afraid to take a turn any faster than that around here in the city. I'd LOVE to autocross it at one of the upcoming SDACs, but it might be a few years, I've got a Laser I'm dying to finish

EXTERIOR:

Rattle canned an ES front bumper since I was about to junk a car with it and figured why not:

Wanted to see how it'd look with the red chin spoiler, and it grew on me. I have all the ES ground effects to install, but first I have to weld on some sheet metal for it to hold onto! For now, I got some Shelby Z side skirt hiding the cancer. I got the blue rear spoiler off a blue 92 TI IROC I parted out. Also found some 15x7 ultra light weight rims and tires for $225 on craigslist:

I don't think it looks too bad starting from a $150 car! After this upcoming winter is over, I expect to cut out the rusty sheet metal and weld in new sheet metal. I have a bunch of front Daytona fenders that I'm going to cut up to fix the wheel wells. It ain't too much work when you ain't working on a show car!

AUDIO:
    Being a heavy industrial metal lover, I like to have a good sounding system in the car that has loud bass. I was set on a mission to only use Chrysler parts I find at junkyards to perform all my interior and electronic upgrades. Spending about $50 at a junkyard, I came out with four Chrysler Infinity 6x9" speakers, two Infinity 3.5" speakers, and a 360W Chrysler Infinity amp. Daytonas came with 5.25"s in the doors, and 5x7"s in the back; but all it takes is persuasion to get it all to fit and work! I also removed the newer 2001 Stratus radio and 6 disk CD changer since I was forced to use a cassette adapter to listen to my phone's MP3 player, and I used that far more than the CD changer to justify it. So I installed an Infinity III radio and soldered up an auxiliary input using the slave CD player port. The Infinity III actually sounds better than the 2001 radio, and I get a more modern style of audio input at great quality! It rivals the sound output of aftermarket radios I've used, but at a fraction of the cost. Plus the interior retains a clean factory look.

6x9 next to a 5x7:

Before:

After:

Here are some old pics when I used some 6x9 GM speakers in the fronts as an experiment. Before installing the amp, just replacing the 5.25s for the 6x9s made a tremendous difference alone. But on the second day after amp installation, those GM 6x9s burnt out... go figure. I replaced them with the Infinities I got at the yard and they've handled everything that amp's been able to push for a few months now. Notice how nearly perfectly sized the plastic bracket is!

I had to sacrifice the front-bottommost screw mount that was on the bracket, I'll come up with a workaround one day, but it doesn't rattle at all so it's low on the priority list. The sound performance is well worth fitting larger speakers up front. Especially since these are so easy to come by. Now is the era of the very late 90s and early 2000s cars piling up at the yards, and they nearly all came with Infinity speakers.

This is the amp to get. The 688AC. Found in second generation LHSes. 360watts, thumps as if there was a subwoofer in the car! Has 4 inputs and 8 outputs. The amp takes line lever input and has built in crossovers so you have 4 LO outputs and 4 HI outputs. I wired the front HIs to the 3.5 inchers, the front LOs to the 6x9s in the doors. For the rears, I wired the LOs to the cone woofer, and the HIs to the tweeter.

Now my audio system can do some justice when I'm listening to these guys! Finally got to see them last year!

Garrett booster

Re: Bluey :)

ATC:
    I love digital goodies and I could just not bare not having digital climate controls. Pulled the system out of a 1992 Chrysler Imperial. Its a super easy thing to install and so sexy, that's why the Vector W8 uses it .

All systems are go!

See, it ain't all that much work...

How it all looks like at night now. The bulbs behind the buttons aren't lighting up though, I have to see if I missed an orange wire somewhere or maybe they're all just burnt out. I've been lazy about looking into that.

MISC:

Hey, Bluey had a turbo motor in it for a while!

Traveled quite a bit around the country with it. We've been through a lot together!
    Somewhere in the Rockies:

I drove from Chicago to Washington state, then down to Vegas, then Arizona, and back to Chicago again! I left AZ with some side skirts I picked up for a few bucks, and the 15x7s.

As it is today:

This has all been done over the past 3 years bit by bit while still remaining my daily driver. The car is planned to have rust repair work done next summer as well as paint it all one color. I hope you guys enjoyed the story!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I like that you're not afraid of wiring. You can do a lot of neat stuff with these old cars if you are willing to mix and match your own wiring.

Didn't you do an MPI conversion at some point?

How's the bass with just 4 6x9s?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I did do an MPI conversion on my first Daytona. Gained a lot of top end power, but fuel economy plummeted.

The bass sounds amazing. I learned about this amp and speakers from the LH forums.

http://www.lhforums.net/forums//show...nfinity-Sound!

So when you swapped all that fancy digital climate control stuff in, did you also add the a/c or are you still rolling heat only?

Im half tempted to snag one of those amps from the junkyard now. With line level hookups and built in crossovers it seems like a really cheap way to get a decent amp although you still have to pull all your speakers and run new wire pairs if you are running 2 channels of sound to each speaker.

Anywho, which brand are those rear springs? I bought some moog progressive cargo coils that looked similar but im not sure if those are the exact same or something else.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    So when you swapped all that fancy digital climate control stuff in, did you also add the a/c or are you still rolling heat only?
    Heat only. The car is going to revert back to being solely a winter beater next year, so it would only be dead weight. The nice thing about this car, is that it has almost all the plugs tucked away for the missing options. I have plenty of compressors, hoses, and a condenser, so adding it at this point would take an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Im half tempted to snag one of those amps from the junkyard now. With line level hookups and built in crossovers it seems like a really cheap way to get a decent amp although you still have to pull all your speakers and run new wire pairs if you are running 2 channels of sound to each speaker.

Anywho, which brand are those rear springs? I bought some moog progressive cargo coils that looked similar but im not sure if those are the exact same or something else.
    I used the factory speaker wiring to run the LOs. So all I needed to do was run the HIs to the dash speakers (super super simple) and then to the rear tweeters, which is also really really simple. I built an adapter harness for the amp, so all that's needed to install it, is to unplug the two plugs from the back of the radio, plug them into the harness, and then the harness plugs back into the radio. Basically, I'm intercepting the 4 channel output from the radio and sending it to the amp first, and then the amp sends the amplified signal to the back of the radio which sends it down the factory speaker wires. When I pulled the amp from the LHS, I pulled the entire harness up the passenger kick panel. It is already wired up for this type of installation. What's nice, is that the HIs for the back do not go all the way to the radio and then back again, they go straight from the amp to the rear tweeters. So I just fished them underneath the rear seats and under the plastic panels. So it really doesn't involve an extensive wiring job. If I ever get around to it, I'll post the diagrams and pinouts that I drew up along with a tutorial for this installation. This amp is incredible, and yards usually charge $15 for it around here, yet it performs as well as a $200-300 aftermarket one, which requires either an aftermarket radio or a converter.

The rear springs are MOOG springs. They are not the CC711s which are listed as stock replacement. The CC711s are 202lbsin. Base model Daytonas came with 160lbsin and the Shelby's got 240lbsin. I found a spread sheet with all of MOOGs springs and their specifications, and found 224lbsin, 240lbsin, and 271lbsin which have the same dimensions just thicker coils. I was about to get the 270s, since they were a few bucks cheaper than the 240s, but since I knew the rate would go up after cutting them, and this isn't a turbo race car, and I'm driving over the worse streets in the country, I decided on the 240s. The suspension is significantly stiffer than my IROC R/T. But I've hauled some HEAVY stuff in the trunk, probably 5 times the rated capacity, and you can barely tell there is anything in the trunk from looking at the wheel wells. They were about $55 for the pair.

http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-spring-specifications.html

CC711 - 202lbsin
    CC713 - 224lbsin
    CC705 - 240lbsin
    CC709 - 271lbsin

Thanks for the info. I can appreciate a simple amp install because it CAN be super tedious!! I did a 4ch install in my Dynasty that reused most of the stock wiring as well, check it out here:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post999718

Those Moog #s are useful. At one point i bought a pair of Moog cargo coils for the Dynasty and cut them for lowering, but i was unsatisfied with the spring rate. Unfortunately the 'progressive' coils are on the tapered end of the spring which means no amount of cutting on the other end will raise the rate substantially until those coils are collapsed. But it's possible i had one of the softer sets.. I'm tempted to try the CC709s now!

I am actually about to put a set of chopped Jeep Cherokee front springs in the rear of one of my other cars to stiffen it up. We have to get creative with these cars because there are not many bolt-in solutions between stock and all-out ($$). If you want something in the middle you pretty much have to come up with it yourself. The dynasty now has cut rear springs from a 67 Caprice in it and the Moog springs live in the rear of my 82 Lebaron. Lots of experimentation over the years..

For being a lowly TBI car, this Daytona is really cool. I've watched Jakub work on and transform it since he picked it up, and I gotta say I'm really impressed with the fuel mileage he's able to squeeze out of it!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I like it a lot. I've been wondering about bigger door speakers, but never thought to put it the Chryslers or infinitys

turbo addict

love it!!!!! are you going to add the power windows and locks too? considering its a winter only car, are you thinking of adding ABS? how about the minivan AWD swap???

makes me miss my old red turd ......

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    For being a lowly TBI car, this Daytona is really cool. I've watched Jakub work on and transform it since he picked it up, and I gotta say I'm really impressed with the fuel mileage he's able to squeeze out of it!
    Thanks, bro! Yeah, its even motivated some local yokel to build his own MPG monster

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    I like it a lot. I've been wondering about bigger door speakers, but never thought to put it the Chryslers or infinitys
    Thanks! Yeah, you'd be surprised how well of a system you can put together for scrap!

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    love it!!!!! are you going to add the power windows and locks too? considering its a winter only car, are you thinking of adding ABS? how about the minivan AWD swap???

makes me miss my old red turd ......
    Lol, well the car has only really been my mess-around-with car. The fact that it got some Chrysler goodies is because I had accumulated more than enough for spares. I do have a few power lock solenoids, switches, and door handle trim to set it all up. I also have a few new Chrysler keyless entry fobs, so I just have to dedicate a day to go to the yard and pull the entry module from a late 90s Chrysler. I only have one power window setup that I pulled from the yard years back. I don't think Bluey will get that option, I don't mind the crank windows enough to do all that work. I do have a set of premium cloth seats that are going in it, just gotta figure out the wiring.