Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIII head vs neon head

Hybrid booster

TIII head vs neon head

Hello,
    I would like to know what are the pros and cons : which head flows more, cost, ease of install, .... with a 2.5L CB engine.

What parts are needed to do the conversion ?
    Which neon head is best ?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: TIII head vs neon head

This should be a neat thread. If I can add to it, I'd like to hear about valve and spring upgrades available for each as well as cams

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

A 16v conversion might be in my future. At some point...
    So I'm interested in the options for non TIII heads.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Interested also on where this thread goes

There are old threads about different stage porting, iirc the neon head outflows the TIII head when fully ported. I can search when I get home but you can search "Stage porting TIII vs Neon site:turbo-mopar.com" in google and replace turbo-mopar with the other site and stuff should come up.

Other things to keep in mind:
    Cam options
    RPM Limits
    Tuning options
    74 Charger 440/727 91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568 95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

turbo addict

Sounds like this could be an interesting thread! I know Indy cylinder head offers a cnc ported Neon head that flows over 300cfm!!!

Hybrid booster

74 Charger 440/727 91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568 95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

turbo addict

The combustion chamber needs to be taking into consideration as well.

turbo addict

Funny, I was just talking to Dave St Louis Monday morning about this lol

Hybrid booster

The biggest variable has to be the availability of the Neon head vs the Lotus head. Plus the Neon head is cheaper and more aftermarket options. But seen both on big HP motors.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by banger68 View Post
    The biggest variable has to be the availability of the Neon head vs the Lotus head. Plus the Neon head is cheaper and more aftermarket options. But seen both on big HP motors.
    Good point! A lot of camshaft/intake options available on the Neon head!

Hybrid booster

The neon head is infinetly upgradeable. Considering it was in about every dodge compact and mid size sedan, van, small suv types, etc. The TIII was only presented in two cars, for 3 years. The biggest thing a TIII head has going for it is that it is a direct bolt on to a chrysler 2.2/2.5 block.The neon is obviously a hybrid. For the cool factor id stick with a TIII, for the money factor id stick with a 2.4. Just grab a whole motor, should be cheaper at the jy than a single bare TIII head.

Hybrid booster

What I would like to know is what parts are needed in both setups
    Can I keep the 2.5 pistons, distributor, ECU ?
    How about the timing belt in both cases ?

Is there a difference between 2.0 and 2.4L head ?
    How about the valves, the exhaust valves should be upgraded with turbo ones shouldn't they ?
    How about the mods required : water and oil ?
    What gasket to use ?
    How about the intake and exhaust manifold ?

Lastly, does a ported 8V head with big valves (like those sold by Steve Menegon) are close to a stock 16V head ?

I don't know if it would be better to buy a TIII head, a neon head or a ported 8V head.

Thanks
    Louis

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
    What I would like to know is what parts are needed in both setups
    Can I keep the 2.5 pistons, distributor, ECU ?
    How about the timing belt in both cases ?

Is there a difference between 2.0 and 2.4L head ?
    How about the valves, the exhaust valves should be upgraded with turbo ones shouldn't they ?
    How about the mods required : water and oil ?
    What gasket to use ?
    How about the intake and exhaust manifold ?

Lastly, does a ported 8V head with big valves (like those sold by Steve Menegon) are close to a stock 16V head ?

I don't know if it would be better to buy a TIII head, a neon head or a ported 8V head.

Thanks
    Louis
    Not saying one is not out there,but I have never seen or heard of an 8V head flowing what a 16V head will. CFM's in the very low 200 range is about as good as it gets,still less than a stock 16V.

turbo addict

The TIII was offered for 3 years in 3 cars in regular production: 1991-1993, Spirit R/T, Daytona IROC R/T, Phantom R/T (Mexico only).

Both heads have a LOT of potential. For us TM guys the Lotus head holds some coolness value to it. The 2.0/2.4 head is everywhere, and has a lot of aftermarket support. If it hadn't been for my affinity for the Masi head, I'd have gone with a hybrid engine or a full 2.4 swap.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    for the money factor id stick with a 2.4. Just grab a whole motor, should be cheaper at the jy than a single bare TIII head.

+1, full 2.4 is the best bang for your buck way to go. I picked up a whole 2.4 Turbo with 62k on it for $500. J-yards have these motors for that or a little more. My friend picked his up for 1100ish.

turbo addict

The ported TIII numbers Wallace gives in the TD thread mirror what my head flows as well. It's very close to a stock GM LS6 head at the same lift.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

TIII for "originality"/style points, 2.4L stuff for practicalities and power potential (with only a minor breaking of the bank!).

My .02cents anyway!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic

Yes there is a difference in neon heads.The DOHC neon head is probally the most common,lots of intake /exhaust mani choice,PT head has differnt exhaust Mani pattern and if i remeber correctly Intake(been awhile since ive messed with them),The turbo 2.4 stuff is also different.The 420a(non turbo talon/eclipse)Has the exhaust in front,intake in back.The valve cover from the 420a T/E will fit a neon DOHC head,but will leak oil into the park plug tubes due to the t/e head tubes being slightly offset and vice versa.

There is some more info here in this thread on neons.org http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=390738

turbo addict

I worry a bit about the functionality of the Neon head since people seem to have lifter troubles and more importantly, high rpm issues and then on the bottom end side I don't know how many rpms the 2.5 bottom can handle in a hybrid setup, especially with stock rods. I like more of each.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I am obviously biased because I have no experience with the Neon or any later 2.0/2.4 heads period. However, I have had a lot of experience working on and daily driving Spirit R/Ts for the last 10 years. I delivered pizza in a Spirit R/T for several years and about 40k miles with barely any issues at all.

I will say that I like the TIII. I never had or experienced I-shaft failures, or cracked cylinder heads. I know some people have, but I believe for the most part those problems are overblown. There are fixes out there to address those problems nowadays, and careful buying of certain parts (head) from reputable sources will save you a lot of grief. Some people won't consider a TIII because parts are 'rare', but there is always somebody out there parting an R/T car or TIII engine out. I wouldn't say anything is 'rare', and things like aftermarket forged pistons, rods etc..are going to cost some money no matter what setup you choose, and those aftermarket parts are generally available right off the shelf for the TIII from vendors. The TIII will also bolt into most turbo Mopars without any issues. Some adaptations have to be made for the L-body however.

Me personally, I wouldn't consider a hybrid setup. A lot of this has to do with my very limited fabrication skills. You'll have to do a lot of research on what parts will work together, what kind of engine management will work, possibly some custom mounted distributor, and lots of other custom parts that are probably not available off the shelf should you run into problems.

I would consider running a later 2.4 engine in it's entirety though, but even then you'll have to make your own custom motor mounts or find somebody that can, make modifications to run an earlier transaxle, and then have a heck of a lot of research and work to do to get some kind of engine management working on it, requisite custom calibration, rewiring a bunch of stuff to work with whatever engine management etc...

For me, I would go TIII all the way. It all bolts up and if your custom fabrication skills (or access to that) is severely limited it is so much easier in the end. The parts don't grow on trees, but they aren't rare enough to be prohibitively expensive or hard to find like is the case with the Maserati 16v. There are durability issues but those are well documented and can be addressed and taken care of during build/install. There may be some wiring work involved in getting connectors to reach where they need to go. If you have an earlier LM/PM or SMEC car, a wiring harness transplant may be needed, but that is about the worst of it. The TIII is "period correct" too, so in my opinion they are just a lot more at home under the hood of any 80s or 90s turbo Mopar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast