Thread: Centerforce pressure plate

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Centerforce pressure plate

I have a used Centerforce pressure plate. If I remember right, it had been previously used with an A568 out of a '92 IROC R/T. I had never run this clutch personally.

The plate has weights installed on the diaphragm. The weights ride on a retainer ring of sorts on the diaphragm fingers. Does anybody know what is the deal with these? The plate looks fine to reuse, although I'm very hesitant to try to run it again because there was wear inside the trans bellhousing area where the weights contacted the case. I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this with the Centerforce plate?

Should I junk it, reuse it or? I have the disc that came with it too and it is has several 'pucks' although the disc itself is full round.

Garrett booster

Re: Centerforce pressure plate

The weights are part of centerforce's centrifugal assist to make the clutch pedal have lighter feel while allowing them to increase the clamp load of the pp. You will see similar weights on many manufacturers clutches.
    I personally loved centerforce clutches in my mustang. I lived in Prescott,Az for a while and met one of their main guys. I helped them a little in their developement of their dfx clutches. Nothing like getting an experimental clutch in the mail, installing it, and the 1st launch ripped all the pucks from the disc.
    I have read on the dodge garage that centerforce isn't recommended. I have no experience in these cars, but if it fits correctly and doesn't make noise, I would use it

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I have experience with a centerforce II and a dual friction.
    I will never use any centerforce products ever again.
    They were absolute crap. If you have one, drop it off at the nearest recycle place for scrap. That's all they are worth in my experience.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've had a Centerforce clutch in my Scamp for the last 13 years. No issues. Now, it is a N/A application(215mm clutch), but it has worked fine for me. I tend to be very aggressive with my launches, and my 2.2 is far from stock. It's held up fine for me.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I'm happy it worked for you.
    Me, I will never waste my money one one ever again. My modified 2.5 T1 in my Spirit only has 372 lb-ft of torque to the wheels at 25psi. Which was enough to roast any of CF's offerings.
    I've been through 2 McLeod RevLoks also. Not because they slipped though, but because the hubs cracked.
    I'm on a TU super duper Purple Plate with 4puck ceramic and it seems good. My car probably will never race again, and the motor is getting tired. So it should last. -Hopefully!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Somewhat related.

I put a centerforce dual friction setup in my 72 D100 with a 440. The clamping and feel was great but when it got hot for some reason the pedal bound, I have pinpointed that its those weights on the rings causing it. I have plans of removing them completely.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

What would you be running this clutch ON? If its a sub-250lb ft app id say definitely run it. If it's over 300 lb ft i probably wouldn't. Almost anything will work below 300lbft if you have an aggressive clutch disc. I ran a stock PP on a 4 puck and it didn't slip until ~320 wtq.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Not sure what I'll run this clutch on....but right now it seems doubtful I will run it at all. Especially after seeing what appeared to be scraping inside of the bell housing from the weights.

I would think about running it on my Omni, but that car is going to stay A525 and I'm pretty sure the CF disc is large spline so it will only work with later A523/A568. I will try to clean it up soon and take some pics of it. The weights seem like they might work well in a perfect world, but in the real world I can see how they might bind or get dirty and not move correctly causing issues.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well, the higher you rev the better they work, im guessing. It might be a great option for a mild 2.2 car.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?