Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puffing Blue Smoke

boostaholic

Puffing Blue Smoke

I have a 92 IROC R/T and every time I start the car is puffs blue smoke when its warm and taking off after idling or sitting at a light it puffs blue smoke. I rebuilt the turbo about a month ago and re-ringed the motor around the same time.(155 psi in all 4 cylinders after) Car has 105,000 on it. I have to run a catch can or it blows the dipstick out of the tube, running at 26 psi. I have replaced the turbo drain hose and that is straight too. Does this sounds like the valve seals are shot? I have the new seals from FWD and the tool to do them on car, just kind of dreading taking the valve train apart and want to make sure this is the problem...

Yesterday is stop and go traffic was really annoying with all of the blue puffing!

Re: Puffing Blue Smoke

Not sure about how r/t but check your catch can hose routing. Would it allow any oil to be sucked into the pcv valve if the valve stuck for a second or two? Sounds like turbo to me, had the same issue with T2, and I changed out valve seals, no go. Let it idle then drop exhaust at manny see if theres oil wetness. I would make certain that it wasnt turbo before I moved on to other could-be's...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

How did you have the pcv setup before the catch can?

Blowing out the dipstick is usually a sign of excessive blow by. I would borrow or rent a leak down tester.

I've noticed on my head the valve seals like to lift, this will cause intermittant puffs of smoke.

Remove the plugs and look down the holes, if you can see clean spots on the pistons at 12 and 6 oclock, its the rings. How do the plugs look?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet, but a month ago I tore the motor apart and honed the cylinders and installed new rings, Last time I checked the compression was 155 across all 4 cylinder, but Ill check it this after noon before I tear into it. I am running a modified PCV set-up with a supra PCV valve I had a crude drawing before but Ill double check it tonight. The only reason why I think its valve seals is because that is literally the only thing that has been changed, when I had the head done this spring, I didn't replace the valve seals... stupid me. I hope the turbo is still good since I literally rebuilt it a month ago and the stupid rebuild kit is near $200!!! Problems seem to be amplified since I started pushing the boost on the car.... Time to dig in after work!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet, but a month ago I tore the motor apart and honed the cylinders and installed new rings, Last time I checked the compression was 155 across all 4 cylinder, but Ill check it this after noon before I tear into it. I am running a modified PCV set-up with a supra PCV valve I had a crude drawing before but Ill double check it tonight. The only reason why I think its valve seals is because that is literally the only thing that has been changed, when I had the head done this spring, I didn't replace the valve seals... stupid me. I hope the turbo is still good since I literally rebuilt it a month ago and the stupid rebuild kit is near $200!!! Problems seem to be amplified since I started pushing the boost on the car.... Time to dig in after work!
    Rings can still have good cranking compression but fail a leak down.

$200 for a kit? wow, expensive, shouldn't be more than $75-$100.

Pull plugs and report.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

If there are no signs of oil on the spark plugs or air inlet hoses and it doesn't smoke at initial startup it generally means the oil is present after the combustion chamber. This could be from the exhaust valve seals/guides or turbo itself. Is the turbo under warranty or did you rebuild it yourself? BTW- For future reference, we rebuild these turbos for $295. and that includes a 2 year warranty.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    BTW- For future reference, we rebuild these turbos for $295. and that includes a 2 year warranty.

Chris-TU
    Good deal,

boostaholic

It's a Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid with the big shaft, so that is why the kit was soo much. Ill report on the plugs later when I get the car in garage.

But how would new rings go bad if they are maybe 400 miles old and are in freshly honed cylinders that are with in spec. I carefully inspected all of the cylinders and pistons before installing the new set of sealed power rings with the proper end gap??

It's a Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid with the big shaft, so that is why the kit was soo much. Ill report on the plugs later when I get the car in garage.

But how would new rings go bad if they are maybe 400 miles old and are in freshly honed cylinders that are with in spec. I carefully inspected all of the cylinders and pistons before installing the new set of sealed power rings with the proper end gap??
    Gotcha, those big shaft kits aren't cheap,

Anything can happen, improperly honed, incorrect ring gap, not broken in correctly, using synthetic too early etc.

While poorly seated rings could be the source of oil, I don't believe they are in this situation. There would be smoke at initial start up if they were allowing oil to get by.

You may also want to take a look at our Knowledge Center article located here:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/co...ooting-Article

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Pictures of your PCV setup?

If you take out the oil cap, does it smoke?

boostaholic

Got 14 of the valve seals replaced and the smoking has seemed to taper off. Two of them were too difficult to get out by myself.

boostaholic

Seems to still push some oil under boost, so I'm leaning towards the 50 trim being a POS. Swapping to an HE341 or 351 this winter.

boostaholic

Been awhile but the random puff of blue smoke is still there. since my last post I have swapped to a rebuilt HE341. I have replaced the last two exhaust seals. Some times I will get a random puff of blue smoke if I sit and idle at a light for too long, I can also get a puff if I restart the car after it sits for only a few minutes after being hot. I am not sure what else it could be. I removed or replaced both items that I though could have been doing it. Anything else that could cause this? I will also sit idling at a light and smell the burning oil. I am stumped, maybe I should do a compression test again...

I had (and now have again) oil puffs when leaving stop lights and general smell of oil even if it isn't actively blowing large clouds. My issue (and I assume it happened again on a different set of valves) was bad valve seals. I only replaced one cylinder last time because it was the dead of winter.

turbo addict

My spirit did this, one exhaust guide was free from the head and was moving up and down with the valve.

I also had extremely worn and broken rings. Some of my rings had groove clearance of over .020. Somehow it still tested 165 in every cylinder.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Chris is right, that is what happened with my 89' Daytona Shelby. I even bought a TU modified super 60, cannot wait to try it after returning from deployment. Anyways, yeah I had oil leaking into the combustion chamber. I did not smoke on start up, but after it warmed up. It then stalled out, probably because of higher fuel flow and oil clogging it up.

boostaholic

Ran the car in an autocross/ top speed run this past weekend and I am believing the rings are not sealing anymore. Time for a short block rebuild.
    Thread continued over in the TIII Section. I hope the blue smoke goes away then!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Block-T3-Style

I wanted to update on my blue smoke issue for anyone looking for answers in the future. The first time I had a bunch of smoke, it was due to a valve seal riding with the valve (and I only replaced the one cylinder since the car was outside in the dead of winter). When the issue popped up again, blue smoke while idling, smell of burning oil, huge cloud of blue when leaving a stoplight, the issue was just severely worn valve seals (on the other cylinders that weren't replaced). All seals were seated, but I looked at the tops of the seals when I pulled them off and the hole the valve goes through was significantly larger on the the worn seals compared to the new seals. The hole edges were also torn up. New seals completely stopped the smoking/smelling issue. I also found a broken valve spring so that was good.

I took off the cam and used a universal OHC spring compressor and the standard Felpro umbrella seals. The OHC tool was much faster, and easier to use than the dodge/ford type tool that hooks on the cam.

Garrett booster

I have a problem similar. Dont know if its the seal in the stock rebuilt turbo 1 1/2 years ago or if its the valve seals in the head. Head was gone over when head gasket went. Started it today. Got sorta warm idle, lil bit of steady smoke. Driving big puffs of smoke at times under boost n not. Dont wanna tear turbo off if its not. If i pull valve cover would i see the problem n how do i make sure its not the turbo? Thanks for help. Sorry to barge in on conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast