Thread: Column interchangeability?

turbo addict

Column interchangeability?

Im wanting to put a non tilt column in my NY to save some weight and make things simpler. The NY is a 86, and I have a non-tilt column from a 87 sundance. Will the P body column bolt in AND plug in? The NY is going to be gutted to Im not worried about the plastics but still need the blinkers and the wipers to work. Finding a K column probably wouldn't be too hard but they are drying up in the local yards and Id like to use what I already have to save some cash.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Column interchangeability?

While I can't say for sure, I'm guessing they'll swap. I did the opposite of this on my wagon (86), and so I can understand the desire, I never would have guessed there was such a weight difference between the two! The non-tilt column seems like 1/2 the weight! Both columns were from 86 vehicles, one a Plymouth Reliant and the other a convertible Le-Barron.

If the turn signal switches are the same everything should plug right in.

One thing though, you may have to swap some stuff over if you want the CC to still work, I'm thinking the non-tilt wheels may not have the right switch/wring to run it. It should just be the turn signal switch that needs changed over, the wires are separate form the other "common" wiring.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I have found the wiper switch from an 87 vehicle behaves differently when installed into a 90 vehicle..

Hybrid booster

What about length of wires? I put in a new wiper switch from an Aries in my Daytona, and the wires were quite a bit shorter. This made me wonder if the column lengths were different to some degree or another. If I can remember the next time I go to the junk yard, I'll see if I can swap some around.

boostaholic

If your gutting the car ditch the bench and put in a Kirkey aluminum seat and leave the tilt, you will need it to get into a light weight seat.......