Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing Headliners -------- Converted

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Lightbulb Refurbishing Headliners -------- Converted

Recently, I've (re)done a couple of headliners, and am currently in the process of doing a 3rd right now. I wanted to do a little write up and share how inexpensive and easy it is to make your car look a lot nicer.

The first step is to remove the trim holding the headliner on. You want to get as much stuff as far out of the way as possible for this one. The trim around the sides of the windshield needs to come off, all the way back to the back of the car.

So far, I've only done hatchbacks, trucks, and minivans. Omnis, Minivans, H bodies, etc, should all be very easy, as the headliner fiberboard material should be able to come right out the back. Results may vary with other types of vehicles, but probably won't be too hard as they generally have huge doors and small ceiling footprints (thinking Daytonas and the like here).

Ok, once you have the headliner out, it's relatively cheap and easy to repair.

You'll need to go shopping first. So far, I've found everything I need at walmart, for about $20 even.

• Fabric - Thicker fabric, possibly with foam backing is the best. Just make sure you have enough fabric to cover one side of the headliner, with a good 4 inches (minimum) overlap on each edge
    • 3m Super 77 Aerosal-Spray Glue
    • Firm plastic bristled brush
    • razors or scissors or something to cut the fabric.

Now that you have all that, the first step is to lay out the headliner on a large flat surface with plenty of room to work. A garage floor will work well, and with the right conditions, a driveway should as well.

Rip off the old fabric from the headliner. When dealing with cars of our era, this should come right off, with very little hassle.

Grab that little brush you paid $2 for and start gently brushing off the foam/glue mess that is stuck to the headliner. The reason headliners fail and the fabric ends up resting on your head is because over years the foam backing on the fabric the manufacturer used breaks down and seperates from the fabric. The foam and glue stick to the fiberboard, and the fabric sticks to the top of your head.

So, you brush off the entire headliner. It's important to get it nice and clean so the glue has a good surface to stick too, but not use too much pressure or the cardboard will get little rips in it that might be apparent through the fabric you bought.

Ok, now you have a clean surface. The next step is to lay your fabric out in such a way as you'll be able to slap it onto the headliner relatively quickly after you spray the glue. At this point, if you can have the headliner off of the ground, you'd be doing yourself a service.

Next, grab your glue bottle and shake it for a while, then pretend you're painting the headliner with spray paint. Just put a light even coating on the whole thing. You can tell where you sprayed, as the fiberboard will look wet.

After you spray the whole surface, lay the fabric down on top of it. You'll want to have it on even, with no ripples, and smooth it out from the center to the edges. You can stretch it a little bit if you want to get out some of the last little ripples.

Let it sit for a little while until it's good and on there, then flip it over. You definitely want it off the floor now, so the new pretty fabric doesn't get all dirty. You now want to spray the edges of the fiberboard and the fabric. You want to be able to fold the edges over and have them stick to the back.

At this point I'd recommend letting it sit for a couple of beers (or however you personally measure time) and then install. If you did it right, you should have a headliner that is prettier than stock, and will last you years to come...and all at the price of $20 and a few hours time.

Since I'm currently working on this at home, pictures will be added for the steps above in the near future.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

turbo addict

Re: Refurbishing Headliners

I'd like to try this in my lebaron except it's dying .

Any idea how to do headliners in convertibles? They don't seem to be remotely similar to the coupes.

turbo addict

You can buy them Whorse.

great write up! i'd like to add an awl or phillips screwdriver to the list of items needed. it's good for poking holes in the fabric for screw-holes. I did my headliner the same way and it turned out well. i too used the foam backed material bought at a craft store (on sale). i did this outside on a picnic table.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2036051/2 at the bottom of that page is a picture of the finished headliner.

turbo addict

Not to rain on your parade, but you might want to check out your local upholstery shop. I got my Charger's headliner and two sunvisors done for $30. They did quality work with quality material. I couldn't find the materials that cheap, plus I'm lazy when it comes to doing interior stuff.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Well, that's a pretty good deal, i guess. I'm more of a 'do it yourself' kind of guy, and really, it only takes about an hour of solid work to redo the entire headliner, and less than $20 of stuff from walmart.

So, no, you didn't really rain on any parades...you just did it different.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Mitsu booster

Mines a little different. The headliner material is fine, but the backing board is sagging down! Any one had any luck getting the backing board back to the right shape?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal
    Well, that's a pretty good deal, i guess. I'm more of a 'do it yourself' kind of guy, and really, it only takes about an hour of solid work to redo the entire headliner, and less than $20 of stuff from walmart.

So, no, you didn't really rain on any parades...you just did it different.
    Good. I didn't want to insult you. Your write-up is great!

I'm a do it yourselfer too. When I had the headliner/sunvisors done, I was up to my elbows with body/paint, engine building, tranny building, etc. I was trying to get my car ready for SDAC-14 at the time, which I ended up missing because I needed 2 more weeks. That was about the only thing I farmed out.

Another thing to mention is I looked for suitable headliner material and couldn't find it. The upholstery shop had almost exactly what I wanted. So, if you want some nice material, or can't find what you are looking for, an upholsterly shop might sell you some material. The only problem I had with what they did was when I went to install it. The material and padding was a little too thick and made it a little difficult to get the screws started.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I've found headliner fabric at the local JoAnne fabrics store, they have about 5 colors to choose from. Was $9.99 a yard last time I bought some.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dyagciog
    Mines a little different. The headliner material is fine, but the backing board is sagging down! Any one had any luck getting the backing board back to the right shape?
    My 83 Charger had both problems--I first removed cloth and thin foam, was left with a backing made of fiberboard or simular--was drooped in middle--I dampaned [more like wet] the board, laid it on the floor and placed weight to push the droop back up--I wet it a couple times on the floor and allowed it to dry thouroughly--24 hours in heated shop--droop was gone so recovered and installed in car--thats been 8 months ago and headliner is still fine--bobr19

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor LeGweg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592
    Not to rain on your parade, but you might want to check out your local upholstery shop. I got my Charger's headliner and two sunvisors done for $30. They did quality work with quality material. I couldn't find the materials that cheap, plus I'm lazy when it comes to doing interior stuff.
    They wanted 100$CDN over here to do mine. I did it myself, cost me ~15$CDN. Found the fabric at Wal-Mart.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

I'm sure if you bring your old fabric to an auto interrior place they would sell you the fabric....hey its worth a shot anyway. the worst they can say is no...
    -Lee

Hybrid booster

On my charger, I redid the headliner with gray vinyl from Walmart. It turned out pretty sick, and it matched the lighter gray vinyl on the seats. I thought I would throw that out there as a possible alternative to headliner fabric.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave
    I've found headliner fabric at the local JoAnne fabrics store, they have about 5 colors to choose from. Was $9.99 a yard last time I bought some.
    I got mine there its very nice but my car the foam backing was all there is there was no cardboard so i used the glue and glued it to the top of the car and it looks real nice.

3M Super 90 is a bit better and stocked at your local Home Depot.

One addition. On some h bodies the dome light or overhead console screws are different lengths. Pay attention as you remove them or you may have a screw hole in the roof. I had done several before I made this mistake.

Nice write up.

Mitsu booster

Awesome write-up subliminal, justwondering if you had to deal with cracks in the fiberboard. When I took my visors out, they took a 2X2" chunk out, and I've got a crack on the rear section. Is there something that can be done to repair the parts that got messed up?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by LeGweg
    They wanted 100$CDN over here to do mine. I did it myself, cost me ~15$CDN. Found the fabric at Wal-Mart.

Is the Walmart stuff foam backed?

In my experience, foam backing is a double edged sword. You need a fabric that will hold up and agree with the gluing process, but when you have to do a headliner, it's always because the foam broke down and released the fabric. That foam is all that stuff still glued to the headliner.

That being said, yes, you usually can find some foam backed fabric at those kind of stores.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Garrett booster

excellent thread !!! I'm just about ready to do this to my shadow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast