Thread: Finally, a standalone, cost effective, Holset VGT controller that works!!!!!!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Cool Finally, a standalone, cost effective, Holset VGT controller that works!!!!!!!

Took a backyarder to make it happen, pretty cool, opens up a whole new world for us.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...1VE-Controller
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: Finally, a standalone, cost effective, Holset VGT controller that works!!!!!!!

Very cool! I still have a 351VGT that came off of a Dodge pick-up with under 10000kms. Scooped it years ago when the owner was upgrading.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Re: Finally, a standalone, cost effective, Holset VGT controller that works!!!!!!!

I had one too but sold it to a diesel guy and he found that controller.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Interesting. I didn't look too closely after the first post in that thread, but do they have video of operation? and how quick is it to respond?

I see its more now (looks fancier too) but thought Fleece's old one was $400?

http://fleeceperformance.com/electro...ontroller.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

It was around $750 before, didn't work that well, people had issues plus its not a true standalone, and no engine brake.

turbo addict

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm really surprised that it took this long.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    This is an incredibly complex arrangement and there are many areas of concern, especially in the diesel applications.
    If done improperly, it'll not only destroy turbos but fail transmissions too.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    This is an incredibly complex arrangement and there are many areas of concern, especially in the diesel applications.
    If done improperly, it'll not only destroy turbos but fail transmissions too.
    I know that there's a lot to it, but I thought for sure that some engineer type would have made an aftermarket job much sooner. At $750 a pop for one that didn't work well I would have been on it if I had the capability.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I thought the same. Maybe they figured the market wasn't there?

turbo addict

After looking at the demand maps he created which are basically no brainers for diesel setups, I don't like this idea so much for gasoline. Really, a lot of testing and changes would be made for any Gasoline setups and you would ideally want to have the turbine open as much as possible once you hit max boost to maximize HP without dropping boost. Then you would be stuck at certain boost levels until you told him to change the map which would cost money etc until he disappears and then you are stuck. If he can change this stuff easy I don't understand why he won't allow you full control.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-26-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: clarity
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Agreed, for a gas application you would either need a fully programmable standalone that You could make changes/ adjustments at your leisure. Or just go with removing the entire controller "box" and hook up a W/G actuator to the variable veins "arm" and away you go!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Agreed, for a gas application you would either need a fully programmable standalone that You could make changes/ adjustments at your leisure. Or just go with removing the entire controller "box" and hook up a W/G actuator to the variable veins "arm" and away you go!
    Which is what some people have done and they would get the same result. Seems like full open doesn't hurt once you are at full boost. That option has always been available and nobody is doing it so I don't see the point of this product.

Full control, that would be something to go crazy for. I would want to build a car all around that idea.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

$500 and he sets the maps? No thanks. Ive got a pair of these turbos stashed away, picked them up years ago. I cant believe no one has came up with a decent controller yet. I have pretty much gave up on it at this point. I think the same results can be achieved mechanically with compounds.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Are the "pin outs" known? If so, I have to think that a basic PLC (programmable logic controller) could run it,and they can be had fairly cheap...

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Are the "pin outs" known? If so, I have to think that a basic PLC (programmable logic controller) could run it,and they can be had fairly cheap...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Mike
    I cannot remember the pinouts but this is a CAN controlled unit.
    Locating the twisted pair and tapping into the signal with a Vector CANcase (or comparable bus tool) will expose what's needed to manipulate the actuator.
    It's rather straight forward if its going to be used outside the diesel environment.