Thread: unable to get CV plunge on PS lbody

turbo addict

unable to get CV plunge on PS lbody

I cannot figure out what is wrong. I swapped in A568 with OBX into my horizon. I'm using 88-90 auto axles out of the junkyard. With the engine all the way to the driver side I get about 1/2" of plung on the DS, on the PS I have barely 1/8". I have verified I am using the correct 525 tranny mount modified to fit the A568. I've compared the lengths of the 525 and 88-90 ps axles and they are the same length. I get full engagement into the transmission on both of the axles. I'm to the point of taking one of the shafts to the driveline shop and having it shortened. Looking for some advice on what I could check. Any info appreciated, thanks.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: unable to get CV plunge on PS lbody

There is a spring on the inside of the inner joint. If you pulled that joint too far apart that spring could have gone sideways preventing the full travel of the joint.

turbo addict

Thanks for the reply. I do get full plunge of the joint when comparing it to the stock 87 shaft. I'm stumped and I never checked the plunge with the stock 525 and stock axles in it so I'm not sure if the problem was there beforehand or not. I'm no body guy so I can't be sure but it looks like the car may have been hit in the left rear at some time or another as the frame rail behind the axle is bent/buckled in one spot. I don't see any signs that the front of the car has been hit but I guess it's possible. I"m to the point of having the axle shortened. Any idea what the average amount of plunge is? I can shorten the axle to match.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

On average, I usually get about 5/8", but I think the more important thing is just that they're more or less equal. As for fixing the problem, I'm really not sure without being able to come look at the car.