Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Oxygen Sensors - The Truth

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Bosch Oxygen Sensors - The Truth

Hi Guys,

I am still trying to track down an issue with my Grand Cherokee and the only thing I have left to do is replace the 02 sensor.

The one that is in there is a Bosch, probably less than 10k miles old.

I have done some reading in the ancient archives in here and have found many threads where it is mentioned that Bosch 02 sensors are crappy. But I could not find one instance where a Bosch 02 sensor was removed and replaced with one of another brand and it solved an issue.

If anybody has first hand experience attesting to this, I'd like to read it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Re: Bosch Oxygen Sensors - The Truth

I've been eating through Bosch O2 sensors with a very high frequency in the cars I've run race fuel through. Prior to being locked with Bosch (I found a steal of a deal on bunch of them a while back at a local store..I'm rapidly eating through my little stock of them), I didn't have that issue. I have replaced failing Bosch's with new Bosch's and issues have gone away...until the newer one fails.

turbo addict

Mike I personally like the NTK myself. Better luck with them in stock and running low lead race fuels. Summit had some really good prices on the 1,3,4 wire o2's for our vehicles.
    Todd

turbo addict

All three of my wideband uses BOSCH sensor.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have had good results using the NTK brand as well. That is what comes in the Mopar box when you buy them from the dealership anyway. I get them from www.sparkplugs.com for about $47 each. I have liked them enough I never bother with the Bosch sensors.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I've had Bosch O2 sensors go bad in my Chryslers and fixed them by replacing them with a Chrysler/NTK. I won't use anything else unless I'm in a pinch. My Innovate LC1 wideband uses Bosch O2 sensors and I'm on my 3rd Bosch WB O2 sensor in 5 years. If anybody has a part number for another WB O2 sensor I can use with the LC1 let me know because I hate the Bosch sensors.

Thanks all. Has anybody had a Bosch replacement 02 sensor fail prematurely or not perform correctly out of the box under normal conditions?
    Last edited by contraption22; 10-17-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Talk to Neil, when we did the T3 Neon, he wasted 2 engines because of crappy new Bosch 02 sensors, incorrect lean feedback caused rich fueling and subsequent cylinder washing and rings not seating. Only factory Mopar boxed O2 sensors for this guy.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Talk to Neil, when we did the T3 Neon, he wasted 2 engines because of crappy new Bosch 02 sensors, incorrect lean feedback caused rich fueling and subsequent cylinder washing and rings not seating. Only factory Mopar boxed O2 sensors for this guy.
    That's what I am experiencing. I purchased an NTK sensor, I might as well throw it in.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

NTK or Denso only for me. No proof that would hold in the court but just far too much suspicion that they were defective from the box.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've run Bosch and NTK and haven't had any issues to speak of. I'm fairly sure the one in the Daytona right now is an NTK. The sensors that have failed on me the most? Mopar.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I've run Bosch and NTK and haven't had any issues to speak of. I'm fairly sure the one in the Daytona right now is an NTK. The sensors that have failed on me the most? Mopar.
    Mopar sensors are sourced from NTK.

So it's a crapshoot no matter what I guess.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

My 2 cents as a tech and shop owner, I use Denso, Bosch and NTK in all my customers cars and have no issues EXCEPT using Bosch in our turbo Mopars. Why? No idea but my 98 Jimmy has run Bosch now for 8 years and still ok with 150,000 km's on them. I would have preferred NTK but I was in a pinch and they only had Bosch in stock. I do smog testing too and again, except for our turbo Mopars, no issues with Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I've had Bosch O2 sensors go bad in my Chryslers and fixed them by replacing them with a Chrysler/NTK. I won't use anything else unless I'm in a pinch. My Innovate LC1 wideband uses Bosch O2 sensors and I'm on my 3rd Bosch WB O2 sensor in 5 years. If anybody has a part number for another WB O2 sensor I can use with the LC1 let me know because I hate the Bosch sensors.
    Its not the sensors fault, the LC1 and Innovate products are brutally hard on sensors.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

you guys have some shitty luck.

For what its worth. At one time I did a side by side comparison test Of Bosch and NTK sensors , same heat source. Both read within 5% of each other. However the Bosch seemed to fluctuate more easily. And readings crashed during cool down.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    you guys have some shitty luck.
    With what, LC1's? Go their forum if you dare, its a brutal issue for them that they can't fix.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

NTK does well with gasoline and Bosch does well with E85 from my experience.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Mopar sensors are sourced from NTK.

So it's a crapshoot no matter what I guess.
    Perhaps. Or it could be the fact that the couple of NOS Mopar sensors I bought were dated older than the car they were going on, and who knows how many times they'd been moved, dropped, and/or tossed back on the shelf in that time.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    With what, LC1's? Go their forum if you dare, its a brutal issue for them that they can't fix.

O2 sensors in general.

Garrett booster

My niece had a 08 Chevy pickup that had a problem throwing a rich code that would only go away if you ran E85. Replacing the back O2 sensor, with Bosch, solved the rich code,but it then would throw an O2 heater resistance code. Swapped the Bosch O2 twice and the code always returned. Luckily the truck was stolen and last seen being driven across the border to Mexico. Good riddance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast