Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 166

Thread: Csx vnt #42

  1. #101
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    857

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    It's not the rail that gets messed up....the 5/16" feed tube..
    I actually wonder more about that tiny 1/4" return to regulate pressure with a high capacity pump more than the ability of the stock 5/16" line to supply it.
    Being the regulator is a mechanical device and considering the return is simply un-spent fuel, how does it become a concern?
    Let's consider if the rail and or demanded fuel exceeded the supply, the return would be empty - would it not?
    Therefore, the fact fuel still returns to the tank indicates supply exceeds demand.
    Don't worry about the 1/4" line - it's only there to return what wasn't consumed.

  2. #102
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    5,354

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    You are probably right! I've always wondered about that, so it's nice to hear your thoughts on the subject. Especially with a relatively stock car and a Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump, which are popular. I wouldn't doubt at all that the volume of fuel being pumped back to the tank exceeds what the engine is actually using by a decent margin. Is that a valid concern?

    I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on the psi while I drive, just a basic gauge to set the base setting. I suppose it's analogous to having a Mitsu turbo with 3" exhaust and boost creep out of control. Maybe I'm wrong.
    87 Shelby Lancer #127
    91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    08 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

  3. #103
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MPLS, MN
    Posts
    3,268

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Here is the #1 reason in my opinion why the 2 piece inlet feed line gets bent, cracked, broken, etc. This is omitted. I'll bet at least 60% of TII cars don't have this bracket to secure the fuel line to the valve cover bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7622.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	64126  

  4. #104
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MPLS, MN
    Posts
    3,268

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Being the regulator is a mechanical device and considering the return is simply un-spent fuel, how does it become a concern?
    Let's consider if the rail and or demanded fuel exceeded the supply, the return would be empty - would it not?
    Therefore, the fact fuel still returns to the tank indicates supply exceeds demand.
    Don't worry about the 1/4" line - it's only there to return what wasn't consumed.
    The demand on the return line not being big enough would be at its greatest obviously when car is idling or when injector pulsewidth is very, very, small. Say for example running 75-120 lbs./hr. injectors instead of MP 52 lbs. injectors. Put a 340 ltr./hr. pump in tank instead of a 255 pump and that 1/4" return is marginal at best for being big enough. I run steel 3/8" feed and use the 5/16" as my return on high HP applications. I've seen plenty of AFPR's that have a minimum fuel pressure around 30 PSI. Is it the regulator or is it the return line being too small?
    Todd

  5. #105
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    857

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    The demand on the return line not being big enough would be at its greatest obviously when car is idling or when injector pulsewidth is very, very, small. Say for example running 75-120 lbs./hr. injectors instead of MP 52 lbs. injectors. Put a 340 ltr./hr. pump in tank instead of a 255 pump and that 1/4" return is marginal at best for being big enough. I run steel 3/8" feed and use the 5/16" as my return on high HP applications. I've seen plenty of AFPR's that have a minimum fuel pressure around 30 PSI. Is it the regulator or is it the return line being too small?
    Todd
    Hi Todd
    Let's recall that as pressure goes up, volume typically goes down and vice versa..
    If an AFPR needs to be adjusted so low, the chosen injectors are potentially too big to begin with.
    If the fuel pressure requires such a significant reduction, other problems can also be induced including pulse to pulse consistency and improper atomization.
    A measurable tell-tale is that under full demand, the injector is most pleased at an 85% duty cycle.....
    Anything less is over-sized anything greater does not properly cool the injector coil.

  6. #106
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Here is the #1 reason in my opinion why the 2 piece inlet feed line gets bent, cracked, broken, etc. This is omitted. I'll bet at least 60% of TII cars don't have this bracket to secure the fuel line to the valve cover bolt.
    Cool I was wondering why I had one in my stash
    Regards,
    Miles

    DD '87 Sundance T1, 12PSI, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432

  7. #107
    Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Warsaw, NY
    Posts
    8,361

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Cool I was wondering why I had one in my stash
    I made one to replace my lost one and to accommodate my aftermarket rail, remote regulator (rail mounted accufab converted to universal) and lines.

    Brian

    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

  8. #108
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    I made up one end of each hose tonight since it's all I had time for. Parts should be arriving steadily for some time to come...

  9. #109
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    More progress this morning. Pulled the K frame and inspected the suspension. It appears as though the fire burned very hot, but very briefly where it counted. It melted a lot of the plastic, but the paint on the strut spring is basically perfect. I'm going to call up BC and see if I can get some pieces here before SDAC to make things a little better anyway though. I ordered up a rack and PS parts along with the bits to put them in the car today. Here's the car as it sits. There is not much of an interior on the car either still.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2041-HDR.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	64129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2048-HDR.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	64130

  10. #110
    Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Raleigh Area, NC
    Posts
    4,437

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Do you have some wire harness damage too?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

    '91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.7786@113.04 mph! - Jan 15th, 2017 Fayetteville Dragway, NC)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

  11. #111
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Do you have some wire harness damage too?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    You could say that...

    I have another harness which is in OK shape, and I have purchased additional one which is in great shape that is in an undisclosed location. I'll pick up the nice one after SDAC and install it when I take care of the paint, etc.

    I put in a request to BC for some parts to rebuild the strut, although I doubt it really needs it. I ordered up a bunch more parts, and got the engine and trans separated. Engine is currently on the stand and I hope to replace all gaskets and seals in it tomorrow.

    I'll post up pics of the Shelby rear motor mount conversion piece when I mate the engine and trans back together. It's a total pain in the rear to say the least. I'll put it back on though.

  12. #112
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Tons of forward progress today. I got the strut towers hogged out, cleaned, inspected, and put back together most of the engine. I swapped out a funny looking oil pan that came on the car. Unfortunately, the Shelby rear motor mount requires that the whole thing be removed to get the oil pan off unless you drop the pickup tube with that pan. I left the plain 2.2 pan on there as a result. I had no idea that there was a nice pan under there. I just thought there was immanent oil starvation around the corner. Much like everything else with the car, it was done right. Speaking of which, AJ's head porting job looked pretty good as I was inspecting things today.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2052-HDR.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	64138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2060-HDR.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	64139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	64140

  13. #113
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    857

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Tons of forward progress today. I got the strut towers hogged out, cleaned, inspected, and put back together most of the engine. I swapped out a funny looking oil pan that came on the car. Unfortunately, the Shelby rear motor mount requires that the whole thing be removed to get the oil pan off unless you drop the pickup tube with that pan. I left the plain 2.2 pan on there as a result. I had no idea that there was a nice pan under there. I just thought there was immanent oil starvation around the corner. Much like everything else with the car, it was done right. Speaking of which, AJ's head porting job looked pretty good as I was inspecting things today.
    Brian,
    While you're doing this, advance the intermediate shaft 'one tooth' which will allow the distributor to sit straight on the engine rather than the common production angle.
    It's unclear why this was done in such a manner numerous years ago but hestically it looks better straight rather than some ambiguous angle.

    Additionally, are you building this as a VNT?

    Hope it helps

  14. #114
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    5,354

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Ha, I do that too!
    87 Shelby Lancer #127
    91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    08 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

  15. #115
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Brian,
    While you're doing this, advance the intermediate shaft 'one tooth' which will allow the distributor to sit straight on the engine rather than the common production angle.
    It's unclear why this was done in such a manner numerous years ago but hestically it looks better straight rather than some ambiguous angle.

    Additionally, are you building this as a VNT?

    Hope it helps
    I usually try to do that. At the same time, I can get them pretty far off too. I'll do my best.

    This will not be a VNT. My other one should hopefully be in VNT trim for the convention though. I'm trying to put 42 back together pretty much like it was before the fire.

  16. #116
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    ETA: I should have a clutch here soon from Chris. Since the Shelby rear mount doesn't allow for the engine and trans to go into the car very easily in a separate fashion, everything hinges on that for the most part. Other stuff has been showing up daily.

  17. #117
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    shelby rear mount ???

  18. #118
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    857

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    ETA: I should have a clutch here soon from Chris. Since the Shelby rear mount doesn't allow for the engine and trans to go into the car very easily in a separate fashion, everything hinges on that for the most part. Other stuff has been showing up daily.
    What rear mount are you using?
    I've machined spacers which allow the rear strut to be replaced by the original 'dog-bone' within the original bracket.

  19. #119
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    chryco had a bracket for the 520-568's that used the dog bone instead of the little shock absorber

    came in caravans and I found one in an 87 K car with a 520

    it's much beefier than the bracket for the shock

  20. #120
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: Csx vnt #42

    Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    What rear mount are you using?
    I've machined spacers which allow the rear strut to be replaced by the original 'dog-bone' within the original bracket.
    I'm not sure it was ever officially offered in the catalog or not, but it is the rear mount which eliminates the rear bobble strut and replaces it with another front motor mount insert. It's a bit of a monstrosity, but it's pretty cool due to the rarity. I believe the original owner was all about it.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ebay: CSX-VNT for sale! CSX-T for sale! CSX-T Lemans wheels for sale!!
    By 88CSX-T in forum Shelby Models - Whittier Factory Cars
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
  2. Wanted 89 csx vnt
    By 88lancershelby in forum Cars
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
  3. General new vnt turbo and used csx vnt wing
    By Gun_Runner in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •