Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Csx vnt #42

Hybrid booster

Re: Csx vnt #42

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    It's not the rail that gets messed up....the 5/16" feed tube..
    I actually wonder more about that tiny 1/4" return to regulate pressure with a high capacity pump more than the ability of the stock 5/16" line to supply it.
    Being the regulator is a mechanical device and considering the return is simply un-spent fuel, how does it become a concern?
    Let's consider if the rail and or demanded fuel exceeded the supply, the return would be empty - would it not?
    Therefore, the fact fuel still returns to the tank indicates supply exceeds demand.
    Don't worry about the 1/4" line - it's only there to return what wasn't consumed.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

You are probably right! I've always wondered about that, so it's nice to hear your thoughts on the subject. Especially with a relatively stock car and a Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump, which are popular. I wouldn't doubt at all that the volume of fuel being pumped back to the tank exceeds what the engine is actually using by a decent margin. Is that a valid concern?

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on the psi while I drive, just a basic gauge to set the base setting. I suppose it's analogous to having a Mitsu turbo with 3" exhaust and boost creep out of control. Maybe I'm wrong.

turbo addict

Here is the #1 reason in my opinion why the 2 piece inlet feed line gets bent, cracked, broken, etc. This is omitted. I'll bet at least 60% of TII cars don't have this bracket to secure the fuel line to the valve cover bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7622.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	64126  

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Being the regulator is a mechanical device and considering the return is simply un-spent fuel, how does it become a concern?
    Let's consider if the rail and or demanded fuel exceeded the supply, the return would be empty - would it not?
    Therefore, the fact fuel still returns to the tank indicates supply exceeds demand.
    Don't worry about the 1/4" line - it's only there to return what wasn't consumed.
    The demand on the return line not being big enough would be at its greatest obviously when car is idling or when injector pulsewidth is very, very, small. Say for example running 75-120 lbs./hr. injectors instead of MP 52 lbs. injectors. Put a 340 ltr./hr. pump in tank instead of a 255 pump and that 1/4" return is marginal at best for being big enough. I run steel 3/8" feed and use the 5/16" as my return on high HP applications. I've seen plenty of AFPR's that have a minimum fuel pressure around 30 PSI. Is it the regulator or is it the return line being too small?
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    The demand on the return line not being big enough would be at its greatest obviously when car is idling or when injector pulsewidth is very, very, small. Say for example running 75-120 lbs./hr. injectors instead of MP 52 lbs. injectors. Put a 340 ltr./hr. pump in tank instead of a 255 pump and that 1/4" return is marginal at best for being big enough. I run steel 3/8" feed and use the 5/16" as my return on high HP applications. I've seen plenty of AFPR's that have a minimum fuel pressure around 30 PSI. Is it the regulator or is it the return line being too small?
    Todd
    Hi Todd
    Let's recall that as pressure goes up, volume typically goes down and vice versa..
    If an AFPR needs to be adjusted so low, the chosen injectors are potentially too big to begin with.
    If the fuel pressure requires such a significant reduction, other problems can also be induced including pulse to pulse consistency and improper atomization.
    A measurable tell-tale is that under full demand, the injector is most pleased at an 85% duty cycle.....
    Anything less is over-sized anything greater does not properly cool the injector coil.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Here is the #1 reason in my opinion why the 2 piece inlet feed line gets bent, cracked, broken, etc. This is omitted. I'll bet at least 60% of TII cars don't have this bracket to secure the fuel line to the valve cover bolt.
    Cool I was wondering why I had one in my stash
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Cool I was wondering why I had one in my stash
    I made one to replace my lost one and to accommodate my aftermarket rail, remote regulator (rail mounted accufab converted to universal) and lines.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I made up one end of each hose tonight since it's all I had time for. Parts should be arriving steadily for some time to come...

More progress this morning. Pulled the K frame and inspected the suspension. It appears as though the fire burned very hot, but very briefly where it counted. It melted a lot of the plastic, but the paint on the strut spring is basically perfect. I'm going to call up BC and see if I can get some pieces here before SDAC to make things a little better anyway though. I ordered up a rack and PS parts along with the bits to put them in the car today. Here's the car as it sits. There is not much of an interior on the car either still.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2041-HDR.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	64129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2048-HDR.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	64130

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Do you have some wire harness damage too?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Do you have some wire harness damage too?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    You could say that...

I have another harness which is in OK shape, and I have purchased additional one which is in great shape that is in an undisclosed location. I'll pick up the nice one after SDAC and install it when I take care of the paint, etc.

I put in a request to BC for some parts to rebuild the strut, although I doubt it really needs it. I ordered up a bunch more parts, and got the engine and trans separated. Engine is currently on the stand and I hope to replace all gaskets and seals in it tomorrow.

I'll post up pics of the Shelby rear motor mount conversion piece when I mate the engine and trans back together. It's a total pain in the rear to say the least. I'll put it back on though.

Tons of forward progress today. I got the strut towers hogged out, cleaned, inspected, and put back together most of the engine. I swapped out a funny looking oil pan that came on the car. Unfortunately, the Shelby rear motor mount requires that the whole thing be removed to get the oil pan off unless you drop the pickup tube with that pan. I left the plain 2.2 pan on there as a result. I had no idea that there was a nice pan under there. I just thought there was immanent oil starvation around the corner. Much like everything else with the car, it was done right. Speaking of which, AJ's head porting job looked pretty good as I was inspecting things today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2052-HDR.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	64138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2060-HDR.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	64139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	64140

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Tons of forward progress today. I got the strut towers hogged out, cleaned, inspected, and put back together most of the engine. I swapped out a funny looking oil pan that came on the car. Unfortunately, the Shelby rear motor mount requires that the whole thing be removed to get the oil pan off unless you drop the pickup tube with that pan. I left the plain 2.2 pan on there as a result. I had no idea that there was a nice pan under there. I just thought there was immanent oil starvation around the corner. Much like everything else with the car, it was done right. Speaking of which, AJ's head porting job looked pretty good as I was inspecting things today.
    Brian,
    While you're doing this, advance the intermediate shaft 'one tooth' which will allow the distributor to sit straight on the engine rather than the common production angle.
    It's unclear why this was done in such a manner numerous years ago but hestically it looks better straight rather than some ambiguous angle.

Additionally, are you building this as a VNT?

Hope it helps

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Ha, I do that too!

Brian,
    While you're doing this, advance the intermediate shaft 'one tooth' which will allow the distributor to sit straight on the engine rather than the common production angle.
    It's unclear why this was done in such a manner numerous years ago but hestically it looks better straight rather than some ambiguous angle.

Additionally, are you building this as a VNT?

Hope it helps
    I usually try to do that. At the same time, I can get them pretty far off too. I'll do my best.

This will not be a VNT. My other one should hopefully be in VNT trim for the convention though. I'm trying to put 42 back together pretty much like it was before the fire.

ETA: I should have a clutch here soon from Chris. Since the Shelby rear mount doesn't allow for the engine and trans to go into the car very easily in a separate fashion, everything hinges on that for the most part. Other stuff has been showing up daily.

turbo addict

shelby rear mount ???

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    ETA: I should have a clutch here soon from Chris. Since the Shelby rear mount doesn't allow for the engine and trans to go into the car very easily in a separate fashion, everything hinges on that for the most part. Other stuff has been showing up daily.
    What rear mount are you using?
    I've machined spacers which allow the rear strut to be replaced by the original 'dog-bone' within the original bracket.

turbo addict

chryco had a bracket for the 520-568's that used the dog bone instead of the little shock absorber

came in caravans and I found one in an 87 K car with a 520

it's much beefier than the bracket for the shock

What rear mount are you using?
    I've machined spacers which allow the rear strut to be replaced by the original 'dog-bone' within the original bracket.
    I'm not sure it was ever officially offered in the catalog or not, but it is the rear mount which eliminates the rear bobble strut and replaces it with another front motor mount insert. It's a bit of a monstrosity, but it's pretty cool due to the rarity. I believe the original owner was all about it.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast