Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Csx vnt #42

turbo addict

Re: Csx vnt #42

Its bad, but its not the worst. half the work is done!

- - - Updated - - -

Its bad, but its not the worst. half the work is done!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Indeed. Thoughts of paint and bodywork enter my head, but I know if I don't just get this thing on the road for SDAC, I'll never do it. The time is now for action.

Just ordered up a new clutch, fuel rail, injectors, WBo2, and will start searching through remote FPRs. I'm not going to have another fitting fail at the rail like last time.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Cordes, I don't remember seeing or hearing that news about your car. Really sorry to see that! But sometimes we can't always avoid having some accident like this.
    At least it is repairable!
    I do feel your pain.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Just ordered up a new clutch, fuel rail, injectors, WBo2, and will start searching through remote FPRs. I'm not going to have another fitting fail at the rail like last time.
    So, what was the cause? I know you are smart enough to use the right fitting on that fuel pressure regulator return.

----, go crazy and go 16v. Make it interesting *and* faster at the same time! Honestly, it doesn't look too bad from here.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Cordes, I don't remember seeing or hearing that news about your car. Really sorry to see that! But sometimes we can't always avoid having some accident like this.
    At least it is repairable!
    I do feel your pain.
    Thanks Wayne. It was a bummer and affected me in a weird way, but forward movement on this has really helped to put me at ease with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    So, what was the cause? I know you are smart enough to use the right fitting on that fuel pressure regulator return.

----, go crazy and go 16v. Make it interesting *and* faster at the same time! Honestly, it doesn't look too bad from here.
    The fuel pressure regulator fitting essentially popped out of the FPR. It was an acufab unit and the car was pretty warm. I can only imagine that the dissimilar metals expanding at different rates allowed for it to come free quickly and violently. At that point it was just a matter of time with the regulator spewing fuel into the engine bay. I had inspected the unit and give the whole car a good once over shortly before this, as I was getting the car prepped for SDAC.

That's why I'm going to an aftermarket rail with a remote regulator this time. I've had one other member state to me that he's seen something similar happen on a couple of cars in the past.

Speaking of regulators, does anyone have a suggestion for a remote unit? I've somewhat narrowed it down to these two, but I'd still like suggestions. I have the Aeromotive unit in my NYer and it has served me well for about a decade.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12...CABEgJ21fD_BwE

https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/13301/10002/-1

turbo addict

Brian, Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Many years ago I had a 525 let go on my 85 GLHT up at the top end of the track and it caused plenty of damage to car. That was the end of making my log manifold car any faster.
    I run a Fuelab 54501-1 along with one of A. Lengels fuel rails. I'm with you on remote mounting regulators. Even tired if nothing else of the inconvenient location of the stock regulator.
    Todd

Thanks for that info Todd. I'll look in to that regulator.

turbo addict

www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/fuel-pressure-regulators/boost-vacuum-reference-port/yes
    plenty of boost referenced choices right there ,
    and if you have one of Adam's fuel rails:

for -10
    http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...3101/overview/

- had one for my 460 f150 but it's gone so it's charger part now as I bought one of Adam's -10's because I already had it
    (LOL)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to come off of the factory hard line, so I think I'm going to stick with something that has -6 inlets and outlet. I hope I can get close to 300HP out of the car the way I'm going to put it back together, but it will be close.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

When you ssy "remote mounted" how far away sre you planning to relocate?
    Brian made a nice mount to remote mount my rail mount style Accufab. It used TU's fuel rail mounting block.
    It would have been easier to use the Accufab remote mount style regulator, but since i have 3 or 4 spare rail mount Accufabs, i wanted something i could use what i had if a replacement becomes necessary.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

It will probably go on the inner fender near the baro read stuff.

I put a remote mount Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator on a Spirit R/T I built. Pretty sure it was the #13105 that I bought from Lengel. Mounted on the strut tower near the MAP sensor/solenoid. The whole car's fuel system was replumbed with 3/8" hard line fro NAPA, so I used 6AN for the connections on everything. Works great.

turbo addict

looking at mounting mine I thought as everything is designed with some "extra" to allow the lines to be pulled in an accident as opposed to pulled apart I thought better than mounting the regulator directly to the strut tower , a L shaped mounting bracket might be an idea

bolt the long part of the L to the side of the strut tower
    the short part turned to be in front of the strut tower and the reg bolted to that

now in an accident the entire regulator and bracket could have several inches of movement if suddenly needed

I'm saying this , having driven a turbo z into a ford aerostar broadside at about 40 mph
    (add- I'd strongly recommend against deleting any bumper rebars too
    you think you won't need 'em . think again)
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 05-28-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Hybrid booster

This appears as significant effort regarding fuel pressure regulators and rails...
    When everything is done properly an adjustable unit should not be necessary, to reduce the effort.
    The FPR is mounted within the confines of the engine for a reason - they are protected by engine hardware in the best possible means rather than added fuel line connections that simply add risk with every clamp and line added.
    A stock fuel rail will, can and has supported 350HP with 52lb injectors - why the need for aftermarket, if I may ask?

turbo addict

well..
    there's a buddy's '17 gt350 shelby parked in the garage next to my little charger
    I figure it's going to need at least 480 - 525 hp to even hope to embarrass it ...
    just sayin' (EMBARRASS)

equal power , bring 2000 pounds less car
    maybe I have chance

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    This appears as significant effort regarding fuel pressure regulators and rails...
    When everything is done properly an adjustable unit should not be necessary, to reduce the effort.
    The FPR is mounted within the confines of the engine for a reason - they are protected by engine hardware in the best possible means rather than added fuel line connections that simply add risk with every clamp and line added.
    A stock fuel rail will, can and has supported 350HP with 52lb injectors - why the need for aftermarket, if I may ask?
    In addition to not having a good two piece rail at this time, the number of them which have leaks from ham fisted people removing the lines by tugging to beat the band rather than cutting them and spending a dollar or two on a new section is astonishing. From there, I'm doing the old buy once, cry once, as I do plan on this car making 400HP or more when it's done. I'm going to attempt a relatively wide power band when I do that, as I would love for this car to do really well at HPDE days.

I was all about keeping it original looking to how I bought it until I finally got over the reality that this fire has forever changed that. Now it's going to be something that I hope to make as fast today as what people remember when they talk about the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    In addition to not having a good two piece rail at this time, the number of them which have leaks from ham fisted people removing the lines by tugging to beat the band rather than cutting them and spending a dollar or two on a new section is astonishing. From there, I'm doing the old buy once, cry once, as I do plan on this car making 400HP or more when it's done. I'm going to attempt a relatively wide power band when I do that, as I would love for this car to do really well at HPDE days.

I was all about keeping it original looking to how I bought it until I finally got over the reality that this fire has forever changed that. Now it's going to be something that I hope to make as fast today as what people remember when they talk about the old days.

I hear ya. I've seen a few 2-piece intake fuel rails kinked and mangled. I have had a radiator shop here repair them with silver solder though. With my SL, I kind of feel liberated.....it's so high mileage and been through so many drivetrain swaps I feel like I might as well do anything to it (and do!) The gold Omni GLH though....I want to keep that 100%.

But as far as the FPR thing....yes, I don't know if I would go through all that trouble again. The Spirit R/T is probably making 400+ HP though, so it seems justified in that case. I'd love to see that car run on E85 someday as well. If did it again, I would probably just use stock fuel lines and a rail-mount adjustable FPR and call it good. Todd had a great tip lately about grinding the hex points off/smooth of the Accufab rail-mount FPR. Much better than spacing it way out with washers.

Hybrid booster

Maybe I'm confused...
    In all the years of working with these cars I have never seen a fuel rail fail, unless abused during installation or removal... commonly it's the O-rings and not the rail.
    Standard fuel rails were used during the IMSA GTU days which supported 425+HP numerous times.
    The rail is not the limiting factor - it's about the lines and pump that feeds it : )

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Maybe I'm confused...
    In all the years of working with these cars I have never seen a fuel rail fail, unless abused during installation or removal... commonly it's the O-rings and not the rail.
    Standard fuel rails were used during the IMSA GTU days which supported 425+HP numerous times.
    The rail is not the limiting factor - it's about the lines and pump that feeds it : )
    It's not the rail that gets messed up....the 5/16" feed tube..

I actually wonder more about that tiny 1/4" return to regulate pressure with a high capacity pump more than the ability of the stock 5/16" line to supply it.