Thread: What's the difference between race gas and E85?

Hybrid booster

What's the difference between race gas and E85?

Hey guys,

I've been seeing alot of YouTube videos from 1320 and others showing cars running E85 gas and from what I've read, it has a higher Octane rating and is a little cheaper than 93 octane gas. When I get home from deployment and pick my car up, it should be racing season by then, and I'm wondering if I should (or even can) run E85 or just run race gas that they sell at the raceway (VP Racing fuels: Unleaded 101, 113, 110 Octane, C-12, C-16, and Methanol). Will I be safe to run the race gas or would I have to upgrade the fuel tank, lines, and pump? I don't even know the difference between all the race gas types lol.

I never run the Omni on anything less than 93 Octane. It has a Walbro 255, +40s, stock tank. Lots of mods, heres a pic with mods/power/good looks :P

boostaholic

Re: What's the difference between race gas and E85?

You'll need a specific tune for E85(appx. 20% more fuel to run it)
    Race gas you don't
    I run race gas in my GLHT and I've run it in my SRT-4, I usually use 110
    The only downfall to race gas is it will degrade the 02 sensor quicker than 93- (most race gas is leaded)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    You'll need a specific tune for E85(appx. 20% more fuel to run it)
    Race gas you don't
    I run race gas in my GLHT and I've run it in my SRT-4, I usually use 110
    The only downfall to race gas is it will degrade the 02 sensor quicker than 93- (most race gas is leaded)
    The fuel requirements are much higher then that with true E85.

E85 vs race gas is down to things like.

1. availability
    2. cost vs the minimum race fuel that is good enough for you
    3. Ability to tune for E85
    4. Fuel system capacity (to flow 30%+ more fuel if needed).
    5. Ignition system (harder to light off a high fuel vs air mix).
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

6. E85 typically needs upgraded fuel components for durability
    7. E85 systems should be flushed out regularly
    8. E85 is not typically 85%, it can be variable from pumps so you either have to tune for worst case, add a flex fuel sensor, or buy it out of a can
    9. E85 absorbs moisture so more problems/inconsistencies if fuel sits
    10. ....

I've only ready up some on E85 so far and there are several concerns.

As with any performance question it comes down to what are your goals with the car?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the replies guys,

As of right now, the car is back at FWD getting a more aggressive cam and tune for 26psi. I will also be buying M&H slicks from Cindy when I get the car back and hopefully, with the tune and new cam, make around 350fwhp. My goal is to be in the 10's and be able to stand with Reeves, Brian, Mike, Rob, Gary, and JT. I've been dying to go to SDAC to meet these guys to soak up any and all information and wish Gus was still around so I could meet him as well. My DREAM however, is to have the Omni in the 9's, but thats a ways off

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Sounds like a fun goal and you have a good head start! Would love to hang out at SDAC! Until then, soak up the info here

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Lol I intend to, so long as I don't deploy again when SDAC comes around lol. So to get back on topic, what would be ideal for running at the track? Does a certain fuel have more "pop" to it than 93, like gets more ponies than pump? And I assume 110 and 113 are around what I should run with high boost and a single cam?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    8. E85 is not typically 85%, it can be variable from pumps so you either have to tune for worst case, add a flex fuel sensor, or buy it out of a can
    This seems like one of the bigger issues to me. E85 can be "up to 85% ethanol". Could be much less. There is no guarantee of consistency. This could throw of your tune dangerously.

OE Flex Fuel vehicles have the capability to monitor the ethanol content and adjust fuel and ignition events to compensate for variations.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

what about using a mix, say 20% e85 mixed with 80% 91 octane? has anyone done that? They just open a gas station sorta close by that sells e85 for $2.89 gallon. Been thinking about running it in one of my cars.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    what about using a mix, say 20% e85 mixed with 80% 91 octane? has anyone done that? They just open a gas station sorta close by that sells e85 for $2.89 gallon. Been thinking about running it in one of my cars.
    I tried for about 10 seconds to figure out the math as to what your ethanol content would be assuming the E85 was truly 85% ethanol... but my head hurt, so I stopped.

Edit: Assuming E85 is 85% ethanol and 91 octane is 10% ethanol, that would roughly be 35% ethanol.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Math time Yay!

So it breaks down like this;
    E10 (Most pump gas in states, all 87 & 89 pump gas in Ontario) has a blended (R+M)/2 octane rating equal to it's listed pump octane AFTER the ethanol is added.
    = 91 oct
    = 97.1% of the fuel efficiency of pure gas

E85 has a misreported octane rating of 105, when its actual (R+M)/2 value is 95. To make that even less appealing that's based on 83% ethanol content and ASTM 5798 specifies anything between 51-83% ethanol is E85. So you could be getting a dramatically lower octane value from a diluted mix.
    = 95 oct
    = 75.93% of pure gas economy

So a mixture of 20% E85 (optimistic 83% purity) and 80% 91 pump (E10);
    = 91.8 oct
    = 92.86% of pure gas fuel economy or 95.64% of the fuel economy you get out of straight 91 E10.

What isn't shown in the octane rating is that ethanol has a very low latent heat of evaporation, meaning it will absorb heat out of the intake charge faster and to greater capacity than gasoline alone. The added cooling means an ever so slightly denser air charge and additional detonation resistance.

I agree though, in anything but a track car you need an ethanol sensor to make good use of the stuff.