Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Chasing the record

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Chasing the record

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    ...stock honda fuel lines and a single 044 inline with a Walbro will handle 700whp with ease.
    Joe, that's all you need, Honda fuel lines! Wait a minute... which Honda comes stock with 1/2" fuel lines?

On a serious note... I have my old 5 gallon cell and an old 1g that was in the NYer if you want to size fit I can get you dimensions. NHRA rules state a cell has to be on the other side of the fire wall so if it fits up front its legal.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

As always thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of loosing weight by taking out fuel tank and running with less fuel. Jt if you could bring those fuel cells to the january meet that would be great!!

Of course as i figure things out I'll post updates.

turbo addict

I know you are "chasing the record", but let's run some numbers real quick.

1 gallon of unleaded gasoline weight approximately 6#'s. The tank it right around 18 gallons full. That is 108#. Now, usually it is accepted that 100# = 0.100 seconds in the 1/4.

I'd bet that 99.99% of us don't have a full tank at the track. Figure 1/2 tank as a good estimate. That brings us down to 54#. That equates to 0.05 seconds, or thereabouts.

I understand that weight isn't over the front wheels, and I also understand that if you want to run separate fuel systems so you don't have to have race fuel in your tank while driving around it isn't optimal either.

The fact remains that in a minivan you are giving up more time due to aerodynamics than weight at the speeds you are trying to achieve.

I don't want to take anything away from Rob, as he's achieved basically what nobody else has with our cars, but you should not need 1/2" fuel line to meet your power goals. 3/8" should be more than enough. Even the stock 5/16" with the reductions taken out that are in the tank and near the rail should be able to make it. As Brent has pointed out, there are scores of people out there that have made as much or more power with a single 255 in-tank and an 044 inline.

Something to consider is making sure you have minimal voltage loss to the pumps. Our cars are pretty crap when it comes to this. Doing a "hot wire" set-up will probably yield more capacity out of the 255 that wasn't able to be tapped before. I've never done the bypass mod, but it's been praised over many times over by many different people with many different types of cars and set-ups.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to put out some information that may be helpful.

turbo addict

And that was done with tiny stock lines. I now have a fairly excessive fuel system on my Duster because I did learn that crazy high fuel pressures kill fuel flow through the in tank pump. The harder you push it, the less it flows. Run it on the limit and on a long pull it will decrease in flow and break things. I could probably have saved a junkyard motor by simply defeating the bypass on the pump or having an inline pump to deal with high pressures. If I ran low fuel pressures I would have been fine.

I would prefer to make reasonable upgrades then overspend and overcustomize. The money would be better spent on better transmission parts for a heavy van then having triple the fuel flow that you really need. If you have a reliable race car its a lot more fun. Red Sled, 8 second srt4 is so unreliable with its many highly custom parts that the owner seems to have a tough time staying motivated. Nothing really breaks but with so many members of the symphony needing to work together, its tough to get them all on the same page. So far that cars fastest pass is with a less complicated, less powerful setup.

If I could have gotten a wish granted for Christmas it would be a bulletproof drivetrain.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    And that was done with tiny stock lines. I now have a fairly excessive fuel system on my Duster because I did learn that crazy high fuel pressures kill fuel flow through the in tank pump. The harder you push it, the less it flows. Run it on the limit and on a long pull it will decrease in flow and break things. I could probably have saved a junkyard motor by simply defeating the bypass on the pump or having an inline pump to deal with high pressures. If I ran low fuel pressures I would have been fine.

I would prefer to make reasonable upgrades then overspend and overcustomize. The money would be better spent on better transmission parts for a heavy van then having triple the fuel flow that you really need. If you have a reliable race car its a lot more fun. Red Sled, 8 second srt4 is so unreliable with its many highly custom parts that the owner seems to have a tough time staying motivated. Nothing really breaks but with so many members of the symphony needing to work together, its tough to get them all on the same page. So far that cars fastest pass is with a less complicated, less powerful setup.

If I could have gotten a wish granted for Christmas it would be a bulletproof drivetrain.
    i believe in one simple thing,The K.I.S.S principle,Keep It Simple Stupid.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Put me in the camp that says doing a fuel cell is not the best use of your energy or money. The weight you save vs running a stock tank with ~5 gal in it is just not worth the time or money, in my opinion. I also don't think you need to overkill the fuel system. I like the inline external because it's easy and addresses 100% of your needs. On a van you have to lower the tank to get the fuel pump out so even defeating the internal bypass on the existing fuel pump isn't any easier than adding an inline. On my Lancer i ran a dedicated power feed to the inline off the alt charging post through a relay that turned on with the ASD circuit, which i got from the coil positive post. Not too hard.

The way i see it, any time and money you spend on something that doesnt make the van faster means you are that much time and money FARTHER away from making it faster. I really dont think adding a fuel cell will make it faster, and it will suck down a bunch of money that could be spent on making HP.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

IIR Joe said he was running a half tank to make sure the pump/pickup was submerged on launch?

And if I find the 1g cell he can have it...

Lightness is not a bad thing to add, helps part durability too.

I agree, frontal area still sucks after lowering it, need to drop more!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The easy solution to me is just to get a high performance inline pump and run it with the in-tank walbro you have now. The walbro 255 can support a ton of power at low pressures, it just tapers off a lot when you're asking it to make 80+. Putting an external in line with it splits that pressure load between the pumps and the externals dont have an internal bypass valve that ruins their flow volume at high pressures. Part of why the internal walbro 255s have a hard time with high power turbo dodges is because a lot of people run high base pressure (55) and high boost and it ends up jacking the fuel pressure high enough that the walbro is actually internally bypassing some of its flow, on top of flowing less just because the pressure is higher.
    I run an intank 255 and an inline 255, I have more fuel than I'll ever need.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    I run an intank 255 and an inline 255, I have more fuel than I'll ever need.
    I would say for a few years at least
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Did you plan on trying Drag Week this year?

Some shakedown runs last night....

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by joeduno View Post
    As for the weight, I've never weighted the car, but I haven't done anything drastic. I've taken out all the seats, carpet and insulation up to the front, and interior body panels up to the front. Besides that it's still all there, including racing with a full tank of gas!!!! If the tank goes below 3/4 it sometimes will miss due to lack of fuel at the pump, I'd rather be safe than go lean when spraying.
    I just re-read this. Your baffle only has a 1/8" access hole to the rest of the tank and the return line suppling the baffle that the fuel pump sits in. That's why you're having problems under 3/4 of a tank. You need to cut or drill some more openings in your baffle. I just went through this on my van.

Garrett booster

Thanks AJ. I'll have to take a look next time the tanks down. Although I snagged an entire fuel cell system from a car I scapped. So I have a nice system, just sitting there waiting...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Great vids, good job to the camera person Nice exhaust flame when you went full rich a millisecond after IC hose let go

Is 12.52 a new PB?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Glad you liked it! I didnt think the footage was too good, but I guess it turned out OK.

12.52 might be a PB for motor/boost (no juice) pass...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Does your boost spike higher on spray?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

He does turn the boost down when on the gun and pretty sure boost comes up but forget how much

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456