Thread: What are our cars worth

Mitsu booster

Post What are our cars worth

I kinda found out what the insurance company I have says my 1990 Daytona ES is worth. This was based on the car as it came from the factory. This was a TBI 2.5 with the 5 speed. Air conditioning and sunroof. No power windows or door locks. A pretty basic car.

This all came about after I had a fire under the hood caused by a fuel line breaking. Minimal damage really. I am insured through Geico and their policy is to total any vechicle that had a fire under the hood.

So they totalled my car and did the valuation. I was surprised at the price. They paid out $2585.00. After my $250.00 deductible and the $200.00 the charged me to buy the car back I think I did pretty good, especially since I bought the car 12 years ago for $1100.00. The only down side is that it is now a salvage title car, but I don't plan on selling it so no big deal there.

The cost to fix the car? A new radiator and upper hose and thermostat housing. New timing belt and waterpump belt. A couple of those vacumn solenoid valves and a coil and new plug wires. The worst part was repairing the burnt wiring harness feeding power to all the lighting on the right front of the car. Total cost for the parts was $179.00.

Mind you this car has a lot of work done to the suspension and I do have the 2.5 with the hybrid 16 valve dohc motor.

All in all I think the insurance company did me very well for a 23 year old car that originally sold for $9789.00 according to what was listed on the title.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: What are our cars worth

Wow, not very often an insurance company performs *better* than expected Which hybrid set up are you running? There's a few different ways to skin that cat

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

I am running 1996 dohc head on 1989 2.5 turbo block. T2 rods with .020 over forged pistons. GT35R turbo with external wastegate. Socketed SBEC with Robs programable chip.

That is one BIG endorsement for Geico.

Mitsu booster

Well, I would not go so far as to say everyone should go out and get Geico insurance, but they have been taking good care of me and my cars and bikes for the last 10 years. I'm pretty happy with them. I did not even know the car was covered for the fire until they told me. Being in Phoenix I had the comprehensive coverage in case of vandalism or the car being broke into and for the towing and roadside assistance. I only called them to get the car towed home. Needless to say, I was a happy camper.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, the car is back on the road, YEAH!!! I'm still fighting a few electrical gremlins but nothing major. I also need to get to the junk yard and get a airbag sensor that mounts to the right side radiator support so the annoying light in the instrument cluster will go off!!!