Thread: Aluminum rad installed into a p body

turbo addict

Aluminum rad installed into a p body

This showed up not to long ago. The stock rad wouldn't keep up on the highway anymore and tried overheating on me so had to pony up for this thing. It came well packaged with no issues and fragile written on every side lol.

First things first. Get a good tap and die set and do every hole your gonna use. New hardware is also a plus and makes the install nice. I painted my rad silver and stripped about 5 layers of paint off my ic and sprayed it silver as well. For as many body styles as this thing is designed to fit this didn't go bad at all install wise.

Here is it all bolted together.

i used all my old brackets. I don't like the look of the flatstock and with a little work the stock ones fit great.

ill start with the top intercooler mount. The top mounts welded to the rad were not parallel so I had to put a nut in it and messauge it with a hammer no big deal.

The mount on the bottom will need a new a hole because the spacing is different. You can use the supplied brackets to drill the hole since the spacing on them is correct.

there will need to be some grinding done on the mount to clear and not rub around the weld bead area.

as far as the mounts go measure your holes on the front crossmember before assembleing so you kno where you need to be in my case it was pert near 23 1/2"

Next comes the grinding of the fan shroud. This rad actually seems to be a little shorter width wise so the stock fan shroud needs some attention. A grinder and some paint will do the job.

next is the only part that had me asking myself what were they thinking. It doesn't fit right in any way shape or form. Basically get the torch out heat it up and bend it the whole other way around. If you install the rad with the bracket the way it came from tu my rad set about an inch further away from the rad support from one side to another. Also elongate the slot where it bolts to the rad it sits to High and you can't get the rubber grommet and bolt to work.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Aluminum rad installed into a p body

Your filler cap clears with no issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Your filler cap clears with no issue?
    its tight like a virgin but has been working. its tight against the hose for the overflow but works.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    its tight like a virgin but has been working. its tight against the hose for the overflow but works.
    Great write up bgbmxer!!

The first 2 prototype radiators caps were higher and did cause installation challenges but no production units were ever sold with that issue. As seen in the attached photo, cap height on TU Aluminum radiators is identical to factory radiators.

See links below for photos and installation instructions:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...diator-install

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rations/page11

Aluminum allen head plugs can be used which would eliminate need to trim radiator fan shroud.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	46999  
    Last edited by Chris W; 09-30-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Great write up bgbmxer!!

The first 2 prototype radiators caps were higher and did cause installation challenges but no production units were ever sold with that issue. As seen in the attached photo, cap height on TU Aluminum radiators is identical to factory radiators.

See links below for photos and installation instructions:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...diator-install

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rations/page11

Aluminum allen head plugs can be used which would eliminate need to trim radiator fan shroud.

Chris-TU
    That would solve the problem on the one side but would still need cut for it to fit around the lower rad hose. No biggie there.

That would solve the problem on the one side but would still need cut for it to fit around the lower rad hose. No biggie there.
    We did find variations in style fan shrouds between different years and models. As you pointed out slight massaging may or may not be necessary depending on which one you have.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

We did find variations in style fan shrouds between different years and models. As you pointed out slight massaging may or may not be necessary depending on which one you have.

Chris-TU
    considering the car wasn't t2 to begin with the fan shroud could be off anything. This radiator actually fits better in the location than my old one ever did. Old one used to rub against the top mount on the top of the tank. This one has space. Very pleased so far.

considering the car wasn't t2 to begin with the fan shroud could be off anything. This radiator actually fits better in the location than my old one ever did. Old one used to rub against the top mount on the top of the tank. This one has space. Very pleased so far.
    In regard to the top passenger side mount, it can be mounted with the opening facing down which would require no modifications on your part. The way you bent it mimics the factory set up the best if you are looking for the stock appearance.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

In regard to the top passenger side mount, it can be mounted with the opening facing down which would require no modifications on your part. The way you bent it mimics the factory set up the best if you are looking for the stock appearance.

Chris-TU

even if it was mounted upside down it still pushed the passenger side top of the radiator away from the rad support about an inch. weather this is car specific i dont know. when i bent it the other way around i did it at a different spot to make the rad sit correctly.

even if it was mounted upside down it still pushed the passenger side top of the radiator away from the rad support about an inch. weather this is car specific i dont know. when i bent it the other way around i did it at a different spot to make the rad sit correctly.
    Distance away from radiator support would be identical to what you did. Only difference would be grommet opening facing down rather then up.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

It was about an inch off from stock the other way no matter if it was upside down or right side up the other way. Wonder if anyone else had the same issues as I did. I get what your saying about flipping it tho. I think I'm going to make a new one out of some thicker material in the future. It's a little to flimsy for my liking right now