Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MPScanDroid

turbo addict

Re: MPScanDroid

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    1st question - How/when do you select the parameters to log? You can't log all of them, there's too many. You'd lose useful resolution of any single channel. In my experience, 10-12 is the most you want to get. So, how would you propose to send a setup file to the logger? Via BT from the 'host' program on Android? Then, you have to worry about syncing them. For example, if the setup changes on the phone while NOT connected, then 'dongle' may send data that the 'host' doesn't understand. Just more stuff to consider when trying to implement this.

I think space shouldn't be a problem even without compression. Unless you want to log a full day's worth of data. That then becomes an analysis problem. Too much data to parse by a human.
    To be clear, I am not suggesting that this new piece of hardware do anything besides act as a blind pass-through to serial data. I dont think it should be any more complex than that. It should be just a dumb, brainless bluetooth to 7812/62500 (and a few other custom chrysler baudrates). At most it will buffer a couple bytes of data, and change baud rates as needed based on escaped command sequences from the Android app. In fact, it could be used with any Android app that needs a bluetooth to TTL converter. Or a laptop even. It should be just a dumb piece of hardware, just like the FTDI cable, IMO.

So all logging would be done by the Android app. The variables to log and everything else would be configured in there.

As far as data storage, I'm thinking the logger logs every time I drive, forever. It could break the logging data up into separate files based on each "drive", or maybe into each "WOT" event". But basically, I don't ever want to miss something that happened in my car that I wish I had logged, whether it be for tuning, or because there was some engine trouble/anomaly that occured that I'd like to see ECU data for to help me troubleshoot it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

asa - does the off-the-shelf elm327 have an AT command to send a single byte to the odb2 side? also, when it receives a byte from the obd2 side does it automatically forward it through the bluetooth modem or is a "read" command required? if a read is required what happens when a read is done and no data is available? if the baud rate can be set on the fly on the obd2 side as well as being able to send/receive a single byte this should be a great SIMPLE solution. hopefully a "standard" elm327 module would work. does the elm327 use an embedded ftdi chip to do the baudrates or is that done thru the pic chip? i've got a couple elm327s that are usb - no bluetooth. may need to pick a bluetooth one up.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    asa - does the off-the-shelf elm327 have an AT command to send a single byte to the odb2 side? also, when it receives a byte from the obd2 side does it automatically forward it through the bluetooth modem or is a "read" command required? if a read is required what happens when a read is done and no data is available? if the baud rate can be set on the fly on the obd2 side as well as being able to send/receive a single byte this should be a great SIMPLE solution. hopefully a "standard" elm327 module would work. does the elm327 use an embedded ftdi chip to do the baudrates or is that done thru the pic chip? i've got a couple elm327s that are usb - no bluetooth. may need to pick a bluetooth one up.
    huh...you just made me realize something..

"ELM327" is an OBD2 interpreter chip made by elm electronics: http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

And there are no ELM chips anywhere in this module, even though the sticker says that and its marketed as such.

So the PIC18F2480 in this module is obviously doing the OBD2 interpretation.

Not really a surprise I guess but its a little amusing. Instead of just calling it "OBD2 interface" which would be self explanatory, they are giving it the name "ELM327" to associate it with an interpreter chip which does OBD2, which it doesn't actually have lol

List of components in this "ELM327" module, in a hierarchy, hopefully the indents come out:

MAIN PCB
    -HC06 (or similar) bluetooth to TTL module
    -BC417 bluetooth modem IC
    -PIC18F2480
    -miscellaneous support chips (voltage regulators, opamps, CAN bus physical interface chip)

If you look at the whole adapter as a black box, you have two data streams:

OBD connector to vehicle ECU
    Bluetooth RF connection to Android/Laptop

The bluetooth RF connection connects to the BC417 bluetooth modem IC, which is part of the HC06 (or similar) bluetooth to TTL module.

That bluetooth module is directly connected to the PIC, through one of the PIC serial ports.

The PIC can send AT commands to the bluetooth module to set its baud rate and a few other parameters. It can only set STANDARD baud rates, no 7812/62500 stuff. But that doesnt matter, because the PIC talks to the ECU through another one if its serial ports, at whatever baud rate you want. So the PIC acts as the intermediary.

The HC06 (or similar) bluetooth module only accepts AT commands when its not connected to another bluetooth device. When its connected to a bluetooth device, it acts as a transparent serial port. You just send a raw byte to it over bluetooth and it pops out on its serial port, headed towards the PIC.

Same with a read, its just a transparent pass through. So you never tell it "read a byte". You just read your local serial port, and if there is no data, thats all handled on your local side. So the question really is "what happens in Android if I read a serial port (InputStream) and there is no data?".

The way I see this working is that you would only need to setup the HC06 with AT commands once, ever, to set it to whatever baud rate the PIC will be talking to it at..something high and standard like 234000bps. It keeps that setting in NVRAM, so no need to update it.

The bluetooth modem acts as a listening server, so to connect you act as the client in Android. No need to tell the modem to do anything..its always listening for that connection and handles the setup of it automatically, acting as a pass-through.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Very useful webpage - http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/u...etooth-module/

It describes the differences between the HC05 and 06 modules.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Very useful webpage - http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/u...etooth-module/

It describes the differences between the HC05 and 06 modules.
    the reason I think its an HC06 is because it didnt seem to response to any of the "additional AT commands"..just the basic ones like baud rate and such

just an fyi - i hooked up my old ttl line leveler/inverter to my rn240 bluetooth module and i was able to log using mpscan at around 26/27 bytes per second. at one time i had it working under android but i'll need to revisit it again. it's a little bit complex with all the steps needed to switch baud rates and rebooting the bluetooth module. takes about 20 seconds once you hit record for the data to start logging.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    just an fyi - i hooked up my old ttl line leveler/inverter to my rn240 bluetooth module and i was able to log using mpscan at around 26/27 bytes per second. at one time i had it working under android but i'll need to revisit it again. it's a little bit complex with all the steps needed to switch baud rates and rebooting the bluetooth module. takes about 20 seconds once you hit record for the data to start logging.
    hmm...somethings funny about 27 bytes per second..there must be some enormous latency bottleneck somewhere..that would make bluetooth almost unusable for pretty much anything. what kind of speed can you log at with a hardwired serial port?

turbo addict

got some fun in the mail today! not bad for $5

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    hmm...somethings funny about 27 bytes per second..there must be some enormous latency bottleneck somewhere..that would make bluetooth almost unusable for pretty much anything. what kind of speed can you log at with a hardwired serial port?
    My guess is it has to do with filling a buffer of some kind. If we put a pic in between, I bet we can improve that speed.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Not that you guys don't have enough to think about already but....
    I was having a conversation with a guy at work and the topic of heads up displays came up. Fast forward a few minutes and
    we got to the point of wondering if it's possible to mimic the gauge display of ones phone ( MPScandroid ) to a pair of google glasses.

Yep, gauges right in your eye! ....ok ,so does MPScandroid have to support this or is that a google glass support question?... and has anyone tried?

turbo addict

bug report: when screen rotation changes MPSCANDROID disconnects the ECU (samsung s5, latest version of mpscandroid I think, because it updated tonight)

I had to lock screen rotation to prevent it, so if you can lock screen rotation thats a workaround. But just thought I'd report.

thanks asa - i'll take a look at it. android o/s is kinda complicated in certain ways. e.g. when you do a rotation it kills the activity and then recreates it, so you have to save all kinds of data before the rotation is complete and then reload it back in after the phone starts the activity back up. the logging is done in a service so not quite sure why it would disconnect. hmm. i was going to lock the rotation but thought users would complain. maybe i'll set it up as an option so you have the choice of either landscape or portrait mode and then not have to worry about rotation issues.

turbo addict

I would prefer a rotation lock. It seems that driving g forces cause false rotations anyway.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I would prefer a rotation lock. It seems that driving g forces cause false rotations anyway.
    I concur...no need to rotate while logging anyway.

easy enough. thx.

Hybrid booster

Any progress made on the bluetooth connection for MPScanDroid?

Cable ordered from Rob today and I'm getting excited.

no progress. i had bluetooth working with my android phone a couple years ago and did some logging using a roving networks rn240(?) but it was soooooo slow i quit using it. also it required a separate inverter for the ttl lines. the usb is so much faster and easier to implement. if i get time later this spring/summer i'll see what i can do. a couple of the brainiacs on here were working on some options with various pic chips that may provide a viable solution later on.

For this version, do they make an FTDI cable that is micro-USB? I'm using a male to male adapter to connect the FTDI cable to a micro USB cable. Not working, but maybe it never will this way? Just got a brand new cable from Rob that connects to the device port under the hood. Running mpscandroid on a Galaxy S4, 4.4.2. Just says error opening USB port. Thoughts? Going to try with my windows laptop and see if I get similar results.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

You need a USB-OTG (On-The-Go) adapter. It's a specially wired cable to allow the port on phones/tablets to be used in 'host' mode.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Thanks Rob. Got two ordered from monoprice. At under $3 per unit, I should have gotten 3 or 4. 😛
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast