Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MPScanDroid

turbo addict

Re: MPScanDroid

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    I was using a Bluetooth adapter with the windows version a couple year ago. Worked alright, but not near as fast as the USB setup. Don't think the current version works with Bluetooth. Need to relook at it.as far as the droid version I'll break out the Bluetooth adapter later this year and see if I can get it to work.basically instead of buying the ftdi cable you buy the roving networks Bluetooth adapter.
    what are the FTDI and otg cables?

if I bought the roving networks bluetooth adapter, how does it connect to the diagnostic port on the ecu?

I'd like to get this running right now on my S5 but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to get cables or what is known working.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

USB-OTG Cable: This is a cable that will allow your Android device to access a peripheral in 'Master' mode - http://www.gadkoshop.com/usb-otg-ada..._i0aAh0u8P8HAQ

FTDI Cable: This is a cable made (partially) by FTDI. I sell the cable with a handy 3-pin connector added to the end so that it's plug-n-play to the SCI port in your car. It also has the protection circuit for the flashing an SBEC built-in. [I think you already have one of these cables, Asa?]

BlueTooth is working as far as I know. Unless Morris has it enabled and just no one uses it. I have several BT adapters to try, but have never put any effort into it. Even if they did work, it's not likely they would work well form under the hood (thru all the metal). You'd still want to run a cable and mount it in the passenger compartment somewhere.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    USB-OTG Cable: This is a cable that will allow your Android device to access a peripheral in 'Master' mode - http://www.gadkoshop.com/usb-otg-ada..._i0aAh0u8P8HAQ

FTDI Cable: This is a cable made (partially) by FTDI. I sell the cable with a handy 3-pin connector added to the end so that it's plug-n-play to the SCI port in your car. It also has the protection circuit for the flashing an SBEC built-in. [I think you already have one of these cables, Asa?]

BlueTooth is working as far as I know. Unless Morris has it enabled and just no one uses it. I have several BT adapters to try, but have never put any effort into it. Even if they did work, it's not likely they would work well form under the hood (thru all the metal). You'd still want to run a cable and mount it in the passenger compartment somewhere.
    Thanks for the info Rob!!!

I'd like to get that Roving Networks bluetooth adapter going. Do you sell that on your site yet (wink wink)?? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person that would want to jump in my car and have my android auto connect to the ecu and start data logging!

What would also be cool is if you made a cable that did just what you suggest..reroute the diagnostic connector from the engine bay to somewhere in the cab, with a roving networks bluetooth dongle on the end, and perhaps a little screw hole to mount somewhere logical.

Or if you didnt want to get into stamping-approval onto a bluetooth adapter, you could make the cable that just relocates the diagnostic connector (a good idea anyways! Even just for an OTC2000, and I did it years ago so I could use the OTC while driving!) You already have the SCI connector designed!

Is there any particular Roving Networks adapter model number that you have at least heard of working? I'd like to buy the "best guess" so far..

turbo addict

I notice the chinese bluetooth adapters on ebay are going for less than $3. Im totally up for trying to get something that cheap to work. Wowzer, can you tell me what your app needs to see so I can pick out an adapter that will probably work with the bluetooth?

turbo addict

okay I just bought this for $5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30ft-Wireles...item4867a45748

if it doesnt work, i'm sure itll come in handy for something else...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'll fill in more information tomorrow when I have time
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

if i was just starting and wanted to be able to flash and log my ecu i would use a boostbutton flash module with a ftdi boost button cable. basically plug the cable into the diag port and the other end into your pc usb port. benefits are high speed everything (flashing / logging). an alternative is the ostrich but its only real benefit is real time tuning and the down side is that you cannot log with it installed. still have to burn the tune to a regular chip. plus, some day rob and i hope to come up with a "crude" way to do real time tuning with a flash chip.

so for usb:
    diag port -> BB ftdi cable -> pc (allows flashing with mptune and scanning with mpscan)
    diag port -> BB ftdi cable -> otg adapter -> android phone (only can do logging with mpscandroid at this time)

this is the otg adapter i bought several years ago off amazon. don't know if there are better ones out there or not. i did no research on them before i bought it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    your android phone must be version 3.1+ and support usb host mode or you need to load a custom rom that supports usb host mode.

bluetooth is a bit more complicated. when i used it before here is the setup:
    diag port -> ttl serial inverter -> roving networks rn240 -> pc (w/ bluetooth adapter)

link to the roving networks adapter http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2H-hoCSTTw_wcB
    (at the time i bought it i got it directly from roving networks).

the ttl inverter i used was from a kit i purchased from one of the old time guys on the dcal/chem site. i think the 2nd one i bought was from rob (don't know if it was something he had put together or where he got it from). i would guess some of the electrical geeks on here could put together a kit on a single board that combines the ttl inverter (max232 chip i think) and the rn240 board. not only do you need to be able to convert the signal from ttl to rs232 it also needs to be inverted.

to get the bluetooth to work was complicated. since our ecu's use a couple different none standard rates i needed to make sure the bluetooth adapter could support them. also, it needed the ability to change the rates on the fly. the rn240 did that. however, it requires the adapter to actually be rebooted during the "connection" process so the baud rates would sync. i had contacted the RN guys directly to try to get them to change their software but had no luck. they said the cost to do it outweighed the demand. so, the connection process takes a little more time but it did work. also, it was quite a bit slower than the usb connection due to the inability to change latency settings.

as mentioned. i'll get my bluetooth stuff out again and confirm if it still works with the current version of mptune/mpscan. if not i'll get it working for the next releases. that way you could at least use a pc that has bluetooth in it.

as far as bluetooth for android phones it might be hard to do for a number of reasons. if i only had to deal with one baud rate it would be fairly simple. but as mentioned earlier, it is a fairly complicated process to change baud rates on the fly and reboot the adapter. also, the way the serial connections work in the android OS is problematic in that everything is "queued" and timing of data sent/received is hard to keep synced. i'll give it a whirl but it won't be for a few months i would guess.

lastly, as mentioned elsewhere, the usb serial port driver for the android system does not currently support the ability to turn the RTS signal on/off. this becomes a problem trying to flash the newer sbec/fcc chips. if i create a version of mptune for android it would be limited for now to the older smec/sbec chips. hopefully this winter i can get a limited version going of mptune for android. interestingly though, it "appears" that the bluetooth adapter DOES support the rts/cts stuff so maybe that actually will work better than the ftdi cable. we'll see.
    Last edited by wowzer; 07-29-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Morris - I think the way around the BT latency and connection issues will be to pair the BT module with a small microprocessor. The uP will do the connection to the ECU, then just stream data out BT at the high baud rate. Of course, this will require some setup info be sent from the PC via BT. But, I think it can work. This would basically be like an OBDII ELM327 module, though a different protocol.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I think we something like this connected to the ECU to log the data, then send it to the RN BT Module in packets like BT wants. This little guy is pretty cheap, and I'm sure I could write the logger firmware for it. It could just plug into the SCI port for power. Though, it could NOT be used for flashing. The cables would have to be swapped. Kind of gets complicated...

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I think we something like this connected to the ECU to log the data, then send it to the RN BT Module in packets like BT wants. This little guy is pretty cheap, and I'm sure I could write the logger firmware for it. It could just plug into the SCI port for power. Though, it could NOT be used for flashing. The cables would have to be swapped. Kind of gets complicated...

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
    what would you need this black box adapter to be in order to do the whole shebang? I might be able to whip something up

I'm assuming on one side it would do the 7512/65200 baud rate, along with an I/O pin to act as the "RTS" for flashing

On the other side, interface to one of the $3 chinese TTL to bluetooth adapters at some high, standard speed, (115200?)

Maybe control the RTS line using a special sequence of escape characters from the android, something that would never be seen in the normal data stream..

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    what would you need this black box adapter to be in order to do the whole shebang? I might be able to whip something up

I'm assuming on one side it would do the 7512/65200 baud rate, along with an I/O pin to act as the "RTS" for flashing

On the other side, interface to one of the $3 chinese TTL to bluetooth adapters at some high, standard speed, (115200?)

Maybe control the RTS line using a special sequence of escape characters from the android, something that would never be seen in the normal data stream..
    You only need the RTS line for a Neon (or EATX in the future).

What we need it to do is, run the logging - automatically - when the power is on (12v @ the SCI port on key-on). It would need to log the data via a UART to the ECU, at the various logging rates required; then temporarily store the data in a large amount of on-board RAM until it's ready to be sent out via BlueTooth.

But, it also has to act transparently when flashing - IE, whenever something is plugged into it's USB port. And, it probably needs to act like an FTDI chip in USB/flashing mode (otherwise, we may have to write a driver for Windows to make it work).

So, we need a board with a fast micro (preferably with a good amount of on-board RAM; ~64k min), a BT module, and an FTDI chip. It also needs program storage, and a way to update the on-board program (probably thru the same USB port - so that adds a complication in that it needs to detect whether the user is flashing the ECU, or flashing a new program to the logger board).

To add complication, make it truly universal and add the RTS functionality so that the EATX, FCC, and suitable SBECII's can be re-flashed using the factory chip. That should be no problem if you put an FTDI chip on-board.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

You only need the RTS line for a Neon (or EATX in the future).

What we need it to do is, run the logging - automatically - when the power is on (12v @ the SCI port on key-on). It would need to log the data via a UART to the ECU, at the various logging rates required; then temporarily store the data in a large amount of on-board RAM until it's ready to be sent out via BlueTooth.

But, it also has to act transparently when flashing - IE, whenever something is plugged into it's USB port. And, it probably needs to act like an FTDI chip in USB/flashing mode (otherwise, we may have to write a driver for Windows to make it work).

So, we need a board with a fast micro (preferably with a good amount of on-board RAM; ~64k min), a BT module, and an FTDI chip. It also needs program storage, and a way to update the on-board program (probably thru the same USB port - so that adds a complication in that it needs to detect whether the user is flashing the ECU, or flashing a new program to the logger board).

To add complication, make it truly universal and add the RTS functionality so that the EATX, FCC, and suitable SBECII's can be re-flashed using the factory chip. That should be no problem if you put an FTDI chip on-board.
    Wouldnt it be easier to make it a true pass-through without doing the logging itself? I.e. make it so that MpScanDroid cant tell its even there, besides the baud rate being a standard one, so that the cheap chinese bluetooth to ttl will work (instead of the $50 to $70 roving networks bluetooth).

So right now I'm guessing MPSCANDROID sees everything as just a com port. And the reason you cant just connect the chinese $3 bluetooth to ttl to the ECU SCI on one side, and the droid on the other (via bluetooth) is because the chinese crap doesnt support the weird ECU baud rates (unlike the RN which does). So thats where a little bit of brain would need to be added to talk to the SCI at whatever weirdo baud rate, and pulse out that data at a much faster baudrate the chinese converter likes. Wouldnt that work? It would just be an MCU that does a simple baud rate conversion, buffering only a few bytes at a time?

From the perspective of MPSCANDROID, the overall data rate would be the same, but the data would come in much shorter bursts with long delays in between, caused by the slow baud rate being buffered and then spat out at a higher rate.
    I thought you needed one more I/O pin to turn on the flashing for our ECU's?

Actually, I don't know why you couldn't do it with this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-RKM-And...item3f3a4b31ba

I doubt we could make anything cheaper. It only needs an FTDI cable plugged into it's USB port, and an app written for it. You could even then plug a small screen into it, like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8-USB-TFT-...item27e7d7724f

For when you want direct access to the ECU. Since it's Android-based, it can probably be convinced to do the flashing, too. Just need to be able to send it the file wirelessly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I actually already have one of these plugged into an old monitor on my desktop. It recognizes the FTDI cable when plugged into a USB hub. Plus, if you need more memory, just plug in a USB drive to the hub.

Morris - how hard would it be to setup MPScanDroid to stream data out over BT? IE, use an Android Stick with an FTDI cable (and no display) to read the data in the ECU, then stream it out over a BT connection to another device running MP ScanDroid? That way, we can use one of these Android sticks to do the actual logging, and a phone or tablet to display the data wirelessly.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Morris - 2ndly, I noticed that MPSD just updated itself. I like the red lines to help with the layout alignment. Anything else I should look for?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

More thoughts I had forgotten about...

1. Add the ability (MPSW & MPSD) to read and log a microphone input (Windows via a soundcard, Android via the headphone/mic input). This can be used to read a secondary knock sensor and correlate the data directly to ECU data. Could be much more helpful than just listening on headphones and trying to look at a screen or something. Would be even better if MPSD/W could playback that data as audio do you can hear while watching the data playback.

2. Add GPS logging to MPSD. I think this would be a big help especially for road racers / auto-xers. I'd probably use it for drag racing too, if it was there.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

1) i think it would be relatively easy to stream out the bluetooth stuff. basically, on the stick just write the logging/sending routines vs having the whole MPSD app. have MPSD pair with the stick and then when you want to log MPSD would just send the locations and a start command and the stick would collect the data "packets" and send it to the MPSD device that is "listening" for a complete packet, which would then be displayed/logged using the MPSD program. or something like that..... Could work the same way for flashing. send a flash or read command to the stick and then send/receive the data as needed and let the stick do the rest. basically have it set up so when the stick is booted the necessary program is run as a service that is always available to mpscan/mptune.

2) there are libraries available in the software i'm using to capture the mic info. i'll need to see how well it works to get the clarity needed to ID engine knock. playback would be the easy part

3) gps logging is available too. would need to determine how the gps data would be integrated into the program. might be easier just to use one of the already available android apps out there, unless you can see a benefit of using mpsd.

i need to get me a stick to test........... this might be a nice, cheap alternative to the RN bluetooth module. also i like the idea of using the ftdi chip to do the interfacing. it is a quality, proven unit that anybody that tunes/logs should have anyway. then just buy a simple stick setup and off you go. as you mentioned to me earlier, you could even have the stick log directly to a SD card which could be analyzed later. just use an in car touch screen to control the stick actions. hmmm.....

Morris - 2ndly, I noticed that MPSD just updated itself. I like the red lines to help with the layout alignment. Anything else I should look for?
    not really, i thought the red lines were already displaying in the first version. i basically just tweaked the code used when displaying tables. also, you may want to update the .csv files since i added a 3bar map sensor description.

is there something in particular you are wanting?

1) i think it would be relatively easy to stream out the bluetooth stuff. basically, on the stick just write the logging/sending routines vs having the whole MPSD app. have MPSD pair with the stick and then when you want to log MPSD would just send the locations and a start command and the stick would collect the data "packets" and send it to the MPSD device that is "listening" for a complete packet, which would then be displayed/logged using the MPSD program. or something like that..... Could work the same way for flashing. send a flash or read command to the stick and then send/receive the data as needed and let the stick do the rest. basically have it set up so when the stick is booted the necessary program is run as a service that is always available to mpscan/mptune.

2) there are libraries available in the software i'm using to capture the mic info. i'll need to see how well it works to get the clarity needed to ID engine knock. playback would be the easy part

3) gps logging is available too. would need to determine how the gps data would be integrated into the program. might be easier just to use one of the already available android apps out there, unless you can see a benefit of using mpsd.

i need to get me a stick to test........... this might be a nice, cheap alternative to the RN bluetooth module. also i like the idea of using the ftdi chip to do the interfacing. it is a quality, proven unit that anybody that tunes/logs should have anyway. then just buy a simple stick setup and off you go. as you mentioned to me earlier, you could even have the stick log directly to a SD card which could be analyzed later. just use an in car touch screen to control the stick actions. hmmm.....
    That sounds even better. Could you do all the configuration from the 'master' (phone or tablet), and let the 'slave (Android Stick) do all the interfacing and direct communication with the ECU?

- - - Updated - - -

not really, i thought the red lines were already displaying in the first version. i basically just tweaked the code used when displaying tables. also, you may want to update the .csv files since i added a 3bar map sensor description.

is there something in particular you are wanting?
    No specific requests, I just saw the red lines and thought maybe it was a bigger update...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

That sounds even better. Could you do all the configuration from the 'master' (phone or tablet), and let the 'slave (Android Stick) do all the interfacing and direct communication with the ECU?

i think that would be the goal. pair a bluetooth phone/tablet/laptop with the stick (or wifi instead?) have the stick "listen" for a command from the master, whether to log, flash, read, etc. then the stick would communicate directly with the ecu and just send/receive data as needed. we'll see. i'll buy a cheap stick this weekend so i can play with it. additionally, with a stick you could have the mpscan app loaded on it and buy a cheap touch screen monitor and directly run the app from the stick in the car. the other benefit would be to offload all the ecu processing from the phone. the only downside would be using a pc. the bluetooth method would be alot slower than directly plugging the usb port in the pc. i suppose you could unhook the ftdi cable from the stick and plug it in the pc easy enough if you want to.

i think that would be the goal. pair a bluetooth phone/tablet/laptop with the stick (or wifi instead?) have the stick "listen" for a command from the master, whether to log, flash, read, etc. then the stick would communicate directly with the ecu and just send/receive data as needed. we'll see. i'll buy a cheap stick this weekend so i can play with it. additionally, with a stick you could have the mpscan app loaded on it and buy a cheap touch screen monitor and directly run the app from the stick in the car. the other benefit would be to offload all the ecu processing from the phone. the only downside would be using a pc. the bluetooth method would be alot slower than directly plugging the usb port in the pc. i suppose you could unhook the ftdi cable from the stick and plug it in the pc easy enough if you want to.
    Wifi might be better, if possible. I was just looking at some of the Android sticks, and the cheaper ones do NOT have BT. If it could be done with Wifi, the cheaper sticks could be used.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast