Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
1st question - How/when do you select the parameters to log? You can't log all of them, there's too many. You'd lose useful resolution of any single channel. In my experience, 10-12 is the most you want to get. So, how would you propose to send a setup file to the logger? Via BT from the 'host' program on Android? Then, you have to worry about syncing them. For example, if the setup changes on the phone while NOT connected, then 'dongle' may send data that the 'host' doesn't understand. Just more stuff to consider when trying to implement this.

I think space shouldn't be a problem even without compression. Unless you want to log a full day's worth of data. That then becomes an analysis problem. Too much data to parse by a human.
To be clear, I am not suggesting that this new piece of hardware do anything besides act as a blind pass-through to serial data. I dont think it should be any more complex than that. It should be just a dumb, brainless bluetooth to 7812/62500 (and a few other custom chrysler baudrates). At most it will buffer a couple bytes of data, and change baud rates as needed based on escaped command sequences from the Android app. In fact, it could be used with any Android app that needs a bluetooth to TTL converter. Or a laptop even. It should be just a dumb piece of hardware, just like the FTDI cable, IMO.

So all logging would be done by the Android app. The variables to log and everything else would be configured in there.

As far as data storage, I'm thinking the logger logs every time I drive, forever. It could break the logging data up into separate files based on each "drive", or maybe into each "WOT" event". But basically, I don't ever want to miss something that happened in my car that I wish I had logged, whether it be for tuning, or because there was some engine trouble/anomaly that occured that I'd like to see ECU data for to help me troubleshoot it.