Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MPScanDroid

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Re: MPScanDroid

I can test with LM in my '87 CSX. I was going to try it later today, but I guess I need to wait for the next version?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

you'll need to wait... sorry. i need to get my bench unit set up for a smec t2, burn a cal, and then test it out. the android system does not play well with the ftdi cable and the ecu streaming bytes.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    The tablet is seperate from the keyboard (edited)? Like a bluetooth keyboard?
    You need to use the usb port on the tablet itself, using a USB on-the-go (OTG) cable adapter. Then the ftdi cable plugs in to that.
    The tablet docks with the keyboard using the tablet's (weird, asus proprietary) USB port. The OS recognizes that a device is plugged in. MPScanDroid won't even let me click the "start" button unless the cable is plugged in. Maybe it sees it, but isn't communicating properly because it's essentially going through a hub?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    also, i would guess using an lm ecu is going to be very slow. first due to the latency in the ftdi cable and second due to the fact that the lm streams data.

and now the BAD news i just remembered!!! i never set it up to work with the lm (or any ecu that streams bytes fwiw). sorry. i'll need to add some extra code to do this. you can be the guinea pig if you want. i think, though, it will be frustrating for you due to the speed of the logging. what i'll due is burn a t2 smec cal (which streams) and test it with that.
    I mean sure I'll test it out if you think its an avenue worth exploring. Will the sci device you guys are working on work with LMs? Cause if it does, and it saves the hassle of trying to get ftdi code working with the LM then is it really worth it?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    The tablet docks with the keyboard using the tablet's (weird, asus proprietary) USB port. The OS recognizes that a device is plugged in. MPScanDroid won't even let me click the "start" button unless the cable is plugged in. Maybe it sees it, but isn't communicating properly because it's essentially going through a hub?
    So the main tablet doesn't have a micro usb port?
    Do you have an android phone you can try?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

So the main tablet doesn't have a micro usb port?
    Do you have an android phone you can try?

it does not. i'll have to get a usb otg cable for my phone and try that.

the usb to serial driver in android is limited to a select number of identified cables. the ftdi cable is the main one. plus it's the only one that mptune/mpscan supports. you will need the usb otg cable to make your phone/tablet a usb host.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    I mean sure I'll test it out if you think its an avenue worth exploring. Will the sci device you guys are working on work with LMs? Cause if it does, and it saves the hassle of trying to get ftdi code working with the LM then is it really worth it?
    the mpscilink device will work with all ecu's. at this point only the smec has been tested, although the sbec should work also. i need to do some testing with it on a smec t2 sometime soon......

the usb to serial driver in android is limited to a select number of identified cables. the ftdi cable is the main one. plus it's the only one that mptune/mpscan supports. you will need the usb otg cable to make your phone/tablet a usb host.

Morris, I have an OTG cable that I use for my Android devices and FTDI and can log on my Windows 10 laptop with MPScan, but when I try to connect my Samsung Tab 3 or my Samsung Edge 7 and use MPScanDroid, I get either USB not connected or the logging button works, but the gauges don't have dials or do anything. On my phone only I've gotten a log file generated, but not on the tablet (Tab 3). Is there any debugging I can do or anything I can teset/work on to see about getting either one to work?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

i've also got a samsung edge 7 and nexus 10 tablet. i need to do some testing with the drb2 so will pull out the old ftdi cable and get things hooked up that way again. have spent the last year or so purely doing the bluetooth stuff. i'm not quite sure where i left mpscandroid at as far as usb. the problem i was having is the built-in latency of the usb cable in conjunction with the way the android OS works made it virtually impossible to make things reliable, without making it incredibly slow. that's what made me look at doing the mpscilink device.

what ecu are you working with? i can only test on a smec. give me a week or so to take a look at what may be happening.

Also, make sure you manually download the latest version of mpscandroid. there have been a lot of changes. i quit using the autoupdate for a while since things were changing so often. and then make sure you download the latest layout csv files.

He is on a LM Morris.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

an LM ecu will totally suck with the mpscandroid program, if it works at all. i'ld pass!!

Jon also is using an ostrich.
    And he joined the mpscilink purchase group.
    Will he have any expected issues with that?
    Wayne H.

Jon also is using an ostrich.
    And he joined the mpscilink purchase group.
    Will he have any expected issues with that?
    What he said. After talking to Wayne, the issue I understood was the FTDI to OTG to Android process was lacking and the MPSCILink bypassed some of the issues. I should have one in a couple weeks or so, which will tell me whether or not the Ostrich causes an issue. I did power up the screen and saw the menu interface, looks really cool.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

the ostrich shouldn't have any effect, although you will still need to flash tunes using the ostrich usb cable vs the mpscilink device. all communications take place through the sci port only.

So for now Jon, if you need logging capabilities, use MPScan until the new device arrives.

However, the layout you setup in MPScandroid will be able to be used with MPSciLink so it wasn't wasted effort setting things up.
    Wayne H.

the ostrich shouldn't have any effect, although you will still need to flash tunes using the ostrich usb cable vs the mpscilink device. all communications take place through the sci port only.
    That's fine, it's the only way that it works anyway without jacking up the ability to load a tune. I went a while with making incremental changes that had no effect because something in the Ostrich stopped loading the new cal to the computer. It was really weird because MPTune would show it loaded fine and the car ran, but the updates that were being made weren't being realized at all. No idea when it happened, but when Cordes and I were trying to tune the car, we at some point realized the issue. After dropping the PE table to around 5% with no change, it was obvious that the cal loading wasn't working. Had to reset the Ostrich, but as soon as I did that fixed that issue. So for now I plan to not use MPScan on my laptop and just wait for the MPSCILink device.

So for now Jon, if you need logging capabilities, use MPScan until the new device arrives.

However, the layout you setup in MPScandroid will be able to be used with MPSciLink so it wasn't wasted effort setting things up.
    Yep, just need my device and I'll be good.......still waiting though.... :-|

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Jon, didn't your old charger have a smec swap?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

if you are using the ostrich you should be able to run mptune and mpscan at the same time. each uses their own usb cable. mptune will interface with the ostrich and mpscan will use the sci port via the ftdi cable. the only thing that will change with the mpscilink device is that you will now connect the sci port directly to it and use mpscandroid or the nextion display instead for scanning, mptune will still do the flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    Jon, didn't your old charger have a smec swap?
    I did. Still have the setup, but like the simplicity of the lmsince it's the stock electronics.

if you are using the ostrich you should be able to run mptune and mpscan at the same time. each uses their own usb cable. mptune will interface with the ostrich and mpscan will use the sci port via the ftdi cable. the only thing that will change with the mpscilink device is that you will now connect the sci port directly to it and use mpscandroid or the nextion display instead for scanning, mptune will still do the flashing.
    Well I'm not saying it can't work simultaneously, I just know that at some point updating my cal stopped working and I'm not sure why. There may be conflicts with the two FTDI cables when they are both connected. They sometimes didn't work unless I unplugged and then replugged them back in. Not blaming the software, just now avoid running MPscan when I update the cal.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast