Thread: 89 Turbo Caravan K-frame to 92-95 K-frame Conversion

Garrett booster

89 Turbo Caravan K-frame to 92-95 K-frame Conversion

I have an 89 turbo Caravan and have been reading different posts but can not find any real consensus on putting a 92-95 caravan k-frame, control arms, and sway bar onto my 89 turbo Caravan.

Some people are saying you have to do the spindles as well do get proper geometry while others say it is not necessary and makes little or no difference. I would rather keep it simple for now.

I will eventually go to 11.25 front rotors, so my understanding is that I will eventually have to get the 92- 95 caravan spindles. So my second question is, would the 92-95 spindles, calipers, rotors, and brake lines be all I need to do the 11.25 rotors? Would I also need a 92-95 master cylinder or proportioning valve?

Thank you.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: 89 Turbo Caravan K-frame to 92-95 K-frame Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by mr b View Post
    I have an 89 turbo Caravan and have been reading different posts but can not find any real consensus on putting a 92-95 caravan k-frame, control arms, and sway bar onto my 89 turbo Caravan.

Some people are saying you have to do the spindles as well do get proper geometry while others say it is not necessary and makes little or no difference. I would rather keep it simple for now.

I will eventually go to 11.25 front rotors, so my understanding is that I will eventually have to get the 92- 95 caravan spindles. So my second question is, would the 92-95 spindles, calipers, rotors, and brake lines be all I need to do the 11.25 rotors? Would I also need a 92-95 master cylinder or proportioning valve?

Thank you.
    I recently converted my '88 van to the '95 K-member with 11" brakes. I think it rides much better than my old one did. I used the K-memeber, sway bar, lower control arms, spindles, and brake calipers off of the '95 van that had 11' brakes. I used front wheel bearings/hubs from an early '90s car ('93 P-body to be exact) so I could keep the same bolt pattern for my rims. I used 11' rotors off of a '92-'93 Daytona Iroc R/T. I think I used the brake lines off of my '88 van because they were fairly new. You might have to open up the holes on your rack & pinion because I believe the earlier ones are 8mm and the later ones are 10mm bolts that bolt the rack to the K-member.

I wouldn't try to cut corners by using parts off of your '89 to save money. Either go all the way or wait. It might cost you more if you try to cut corners.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I recently converted my '88 van to the '95 K-member with 11" brakes. I think it rides much better than my old one did. I used the K-memeber, sway bar, lower control arms, spindles, and brake calipers off of the '95 van that had 11' brakes. I used front wheel bearings/hubs from an early '90s car ('93 P-body to be exact) so I could keep the same bolt pattern for my rims. I used 11' rotors off of a '92-'93 Daytona Iroc R/T. I think I used the brake lines off of my '88 van because they were fairly new. You might have to open up the holes on your rack & pinion because I believe the earlier ones are 8mm and the later ones are 10mm bolts that bolt the rack to the K-member.

I wouldn't try to cut corners by using parts off of your '89 to save money. Either go all the way or wait. It might cost you more if you try to cut corners.
    If I am not going to do the brakes yet can I just install the k-frame, control arms, and sway bar for now or do you have to install the spindles?

I don't know. I just posted what I did. I didn't want to run into problems so I did everything.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Interested in this too. But in the future.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

I knew there would be more people interested in this.

I got your text last night but I was at a concert and couldn't respond. In your text you listed "93 hub." Just to make sure we are discussing the same parts, the hub is the bearing and the part that has the lug nuts in one assembly. The spindle is the part that connects between the strut, lower ball joint, outer tie rod end, and the caliper bracket bolts to it. The hub bolts to the spindle with four bolts. You need the SPINDLE off of the '93 to match the K-memeber. You need the HUB off of a '91+ car so you have the same bolt pattern as the rear so you can use the same rims.

Garrett booster

I got your text last night but I was at a concert and couldn't respond. In your text you listed "93 hub." Just to make sure we are discussing the same parts, the hub is the bearing and the part that has the lug nuts in one assembly. The spindle is the part that connects between the strut, lower ball joint, outer tie rod end, and the caliper bracket bolts to it. The hub bolts to the spindle with four bolts. You need the SPINDLE off of the '93 to match the K-memeber. You need the HUB off of a '91+ car so you have the same bolt pattern as the rear so you can use the same rims.
    Sorry bro I didn't know Mariah Carey was playing last night lol. Thanks bro for the info, yes I just wanted to make sure I had it correct about the hub assembly info for the 91 cars not the 92 and later Caravans. Thanks for the help. I will post after its all done with a cleaned up list of parts used and results for others trying the same thing.

Sorry bro I didn't know Mariah Carey was playing last night lol.
    Whatever brah, don't judge.

I will post after its all done with a cleaned up list of parts used and results for others trying the same thing.
    I think I covered it all here. But if you just want to confirm my awesomeness, that's cool:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive swapped newer spindles onto older control arms and newer control arms onto older spindles and as far as bolting together it works both ways. The only time i EVER ran into something that wouldnt bolt up was when i was putting 90 5-lug spindles on my 82 lebaron and found out the 82 had smaller ball joints. So now it has a 90 k-frame and arms too. Other than the REALLY old stuff, all ball joints and spindles will bolt to each other.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Ive swapped newer spindles onto older control arms and newer control arms onto older spindles and as far as bolting together it works both ways. The only time i EVER ran into something that wouldnt bolt up was when i was putting 90 5-lug spindles on my 82 lebaron and found out the 82 had smaller ball joints. So now it has a 90 k-frame and arms too. Other than the REALLY old stuff, all ball joints and spindles will bolt to each other.
    Good info thank you. I'm glad most people here are very helpful. It makes a huge difference. Thank you.