Thread: turbo work good on my t3

Hybrid booster

turbo work good on my t3

Turbo has 55.28 inducer 78 millimeter exducer 25c 12blade compressor wheel. exhaust side is 67.2 inducer 58.8 exducer turbine housing is a 14cm2. I have a larger turbo to run a precision sc61s iam trying to gain a broader powerband and faster spool my goal is 450 550whp how do you guys think it will work it a banks sidewinder turbo

Hybrid booster

Re: turbo work good on my t3

Anybody know what its comparable to in size

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

What hot side is on the SC61? The Banks sidewinder hot side is comparable to a 90 A/R GT35 size turbine wheel (maybe a tad smaller) IF it had a 62mm compressor it might be an alright match. For eg. a stage 3 .82 A/R SC61 should kill the banks for spool up and over all power.

Hybrid booster

Not sure on the 61 its the exact same turbo larry j had 4sfed4 had on his rt full spool on my woreout car was around 41 to 4300 probably better off just going with a gtx 35 spendy but to help widen the power band will be a huge improvement the car is mostly a streetcar but its main purpose will be dragged and a little autocross so I think the GTX is probably my best optionis asking 500 wheel horsepower and 3500 rpm fully spooled asking too much

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The closest thing to those wheel sizes is a holset hy35 or he341. So i think it will hit your power goal although it would be really pushing it to get 550whp. Given that the holset-on-t3 thing is already so figured out, though, i would consider trying to sell yours and get one of those if it makes the install a lot easier. Just something to consider.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by 440dart View Post
    Not sure on the 61 its the exact same turbo larry j had 4sfed4 had on his rt full spool on my woreout car was around 41 to 4300 probably better off just going with a gtx 35 spendy but to help widen the power band will be a huge improvement the car is mostly a streetcar but its main purpose will be dragged and a little autocross so I think the GTX is probably my best optionis asking 500 wheel horsepower and 3500 rpm fully spooled asking too much
    500WHP is no problem for a GTX35r, full spool by 3500rpm in 4th gear.........Maybe doable, but all the stars would need to be aligned in your build for that to be a reality. More likely 3700-4000ish from what I've read. You'd want the .63 A/R turbine housing for sure if your really wanting spool that low.

Hybrid booster

I have a couple 351s have a salvage yard n repair deal alot with cr cummins so not really gaining much going to a 351. Shadow I guess i am just trying to take the same thought process of Pat, as i am wanting a multi role car good wide powerband although its going to be used for drag most of the time and I also plan on driving it to work in the summer 550mi ea way.

I have a couple 351s have a salvage yard n repair deal alot with cr cummins so not really gaining much going to a 351. Shadow I guess i am just trying to take the same thought process of Pat, as i am wanting a multi role car good wide powerband although its going to be used for drag most of the time and I also plan on driving it to work in the summer 550mi ea way.
    Holset HE351? Not gaining much compared to what? The HE351 will out spool and out power the 55mm turbo you mentioned and IF the SC61 is a stage 3 .63 A/R it will spool as fast and make better power as well. IF the SC61 is a .63 A/R stage 5, the Holset will spool faster and Might just give up a little up top, but for the difference in spool vs power difference, the 351 still wins.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Holset HE351? Not gaining much compared to what? The HE351 will out spool and out power the 55mm turbo you mentioned and IF the SC61 is a stage 3 .63 A/R it will spool as fast and make better power as well. IF the SC61 is a .63 A/R stage 5, the Holset will spool faster and Might just give up a little up top, but for the difference in spool vs power difference, the 351 still wins.
    v

Not sure what 61 I have I thought my turbo and the 351 were very close to eachother the reason I got my turbo was larry was useing it and was the only one making big power back then you are really talking me into a 351 lol I've only had my car above 24psi once and it blew the tires off in 3rd that was on 130k engine with bad blowby in a heavy rt

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

I put my GT35r on the shelf and went with a GTX 3076r and so far with the little driving I've done it spools waaaaayyy faster and with the new tech they have the map is alot wider now too ... it's pricey but so far I'm VERY happy..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

If you're willing to pay for it a gt3076 is an awesome street turbo for one of these, probably one of the best. But, for 550whp it's not the turbo i would pick.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

why not? the GTX3076 map clearly shows it flows as much as a reg GT3582 but spools quicker.. I think its the perfect turbo for a street duty car that can make respectable HP... no?
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Mostly because if you're trying to make that much power i would want a larger turbine section (and a larger compresor side although that is less of an issue in this case, i think). The map you're talking about is probably only the compressor map.

turbo addict

I wanted to throw in these things.

3500 rpms full boost of 30psi would put you deep into the surge area of the GTX3076
    I seriously doubt people are getting 30psi at 3500 rpm without seeing a datalog. A TIII won't even spool a ruined "improved" S70 to 20psi at 4000 rpms.
    GTX3076 is also not fair to compare against a non gtx 35 series turbo. Adam is right that on the higher hp setups, you want the exhaust side to compliment. Nobody maxs out a compressor wheel by going small on the turbine side. Pick a turbo that stays in the sweet spot of the map in the rpms you make your racing power. Wide powerbands are a problem because these garret compressor maps are all very narrow in the small sizes. That means you need perfect map fitment between boost threshold and maximum rpm/flow requirements.

With the new turbos, you have the choice of staying the same size and making more power then before, or dropping a size and keeping similar driving characteristics and boost response and boost threshold. There are other manufacturers making billet turbos, you don't have to stick with garrett but they provide maps which is very nice.
    ---

The real answer to this question is to ignore 550whp and shoot for 450whp if that meets your range and you want a wide powerband. Then the smaller turbos are less of a problem.
    ================
    Quick google search shows people saying the small turbine of the gtx3076 kills power around 475-500whp and the gtx3576. Both turbos making 26-31psi at 4000 rpms depending on where they start pulls from, heat soak, etc. It also claims the gtx3576 spooling sooner. Possibly because it has a better balance of turbine and compressor wheel. The final tally was gtx3076 for hp below 475 and gtx3576 for above. Of course, most people out there run these turbos on pump gas at those numbers, something nobody here except Aaron at Heffner ever does. We seem to like to overcome the wrong turbo choice with race fuel and nobody seems to run 30psi on pump gas though that is all the rage in evo world and they can back it up.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

v

Not sure what 61 I have I thought my turbo and the 351 were very close to eachother the reason I got my turbo was larry was useing it and was the only one making big power back then you are really talking me into a 351 lol I've only had my car above 24psi once and it blew the tires off in 3rd that was on 130k engine with bad blowby in a heavy rt
    The 351 is a Hard turbo to beat for a fast spooling 500-550WHP turbo, on the 8v 2.2/2,5 or the 16v TIII. Up until the GTX series turbos, there was really nothing out there with the kind of PR that the HE351 has in a Garrett platform. (4.5 I believe?) So it's a great pump gas 400-450WHP turbo and when asked to, it will run as much boost against the restriction of your mtr as any of the turbos out there. (45+psi)

These are the reasons I chose it over all others and am not done with it yet

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!