Thread: 2.4 engine failure

Hybrid booster

2.4 engine failure

So my daily driver is/was a 99 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4/41te. She just turned 212,000 miles on the original engine/trans. On the way home from work yesterday the low oil pressure light randomly came on, right after I filled up with gas lol. I immediately shut the car off and pulled over, taking up the right lane of a two lane road as there was no shoulder in that area. I checked all the vital fluids and checked for leaks, everything was full. I just changed the oil a week and a half ago, and it still was full and very clean. I started it back up and the light was still on, but no strange engine noises or anything. I drove up the road to a Home Depot parking lot where I double checked everything. Still good and no strange engine noises. I decided to drive the 15 miles home as I figured this car doesn't owe me anything anymore and that the damage was probably already done. Also, I was thinking maybe I had a sensor issue. Anyway, by the time I got home it was making a few strange noises so I just shut it off and left for a seminar that I had to attend. Today I brought an oil pressure gauge home from work and checked the oil pressure, 0 PSI AT ALL RPMS!! I removed the oil filter and starter the car again, absolutely nothing came out from the oil filter mount! The engine runs great still and only makes noise above 2000 rpm. You wouldn't notice anything strange with the car at idle. Also, the oil pressure light decided to stop working completely, it doesn't even bulb check anymore. Anyway just ranting because I was hoping this car would last until tax time next year, and I've owned it for 7 years and am kind of sad about it lol. Is this a common failure for a high mileage 2.4?

boostaholic

Re: 2.4 engine failure

oil pump stator is probally broke

Hybrid booster

Re: 2.4 engine failure

Well, I pulled the valve cover and a couple cam caps. They look like brand new still, no scoring whatsoever! I'm going to pull the oil pan and oil pump tonight and see what exactly went wrong. I'm pretty amazed so far.