Thread: cold start idles low/dies till warm

Hybrid booster

cold start idles low/dies till warm

89 2.5 T2 mitsu turbo W/ boostbutton SMEC Cal transplanted into a 5spd Dakota - Its been running great all summer, filled up at sheetz (93 oct) & drove it 80 miles on the highway during a heavy rainstorm, got home parked overnight on the front lawn - rained hard all night and next morning sounded horrible on startup idled around 300 and died. Now won't run right till warm (2 miles of driving to work, temp gauge reading low)...... So I'm thinking CTS is bad (it's been around 50F in the morning) and not kicking the AIS up for fast idle or richening the A/F. But I've got no codes. So I cleaned the TB (disconnected IC line but didn't disassemble things) and sprayed it good - but it's still warm and I won't know if I fixed it till tomorrow. Does my diagnosis seem sound?

Hybrid booster

Re: cold start idles low/dies till warm

update, cleaning the TB didn't change a thing - ideas? Link to CTS data that I lost (table for resistance/temp indications) - what should it read cold versus hot?

I'm an old geezer and that sounds like a drowned distributor. Do you have the shield on the distributor yet? OR the SMEC is drowned. Is the SMEC still sealed? If not open it up and let it dry out.

Hybrid booster

hmmm, that's why I posted it'd been raining - the SMEC has been opened but it's closed..... not sealed though. 3 days of driving hasn't cleared it up either (its been dry those 3 days). As for the dizzy- it's on the side of the motor in the truck so I'm not running the splash shield (trucks never had it). But that's definitely an angle I'll look at. Thanks

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by gears351 View Post
    hmmm, that's why I posted it'd been raining - the SMEC has been opened but it's closed..... not sealed though. 3 days of driving hasn't cleared it up either (its been dry those 3 days). As for the dizzy- it's on the side of the motor in the truck so I'm not running the splash shield (trucks never had it). But that's definitely an angle I'll look at. Thanks
    Good direction - If the socket area is open (and or the entire board) is exposed then predictability on engine functions may be compromised.

Hybrid booster

I'm really hoping it's not the SMEC - I don't get any codes but the 55 and it runs fine after it warms up..... I'm still crossing my fingers that the CTS is just crapped out and I haven't noticed it all summer since it's been 70+ so "cold start" wasn't an issue.

If it did get wet will it dry? or is it toast? or do I need to hold it closer to the computer so you guys can see it better

Hybrid booster

Ok, problem fixed - IAC took a crap and wasn't moving, swapped a spare in and I'm good to go. Thanks for the ideas everyone.