Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo radiator fan amp draw.

turbo addict

Volvo radiator fan amp draw.

So I picked up 2 Volvo fans today at the pick and pull for 30 bucks and was wondering how everyone is wiring them in. Will the stock fan relay handle the amps this thing is gonna pull? Is anyone running a fuse or what not in case the fan fails or what not. Thanks a bunch. Regular grocery items are what you may possible spot on the Food Lion Ad.
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Volvo radiator fan amp draw.

Use the relay that comes with the fans since they are two speed fans and the relay controls each speed separately. I have the computer turn the high speed on and then have the low speed wired to my defrost switch as an engine-off cool-down timer. You'll also have to run a 30 amp or 40 amp maxi fuse. The fan amperage spikes when they first kick on but then settles down.

turbo addict

I didn't snag that relay and most of them that I saw we're already gone. Planned on just using the high speed only

- - - Updated - - -

If that would work

- - - Updated - - -

Main question is will the stock relay handle it or no.

It should. Our fan relays are pretty beefy. I just checked my Dakota and I'm running a 40 amp maxi fuse for my Volvo fan. I think the fusible link on our cars is rated for 30 amps. I think you'd be alright using the stock relay.

turbo addict

Awsome thanks for your info. Im looking forward to my new radiator with a new fan also. Gonna have to get a maxi fuse and wire that in somewheres

turbo addict

No need to put a fuse on that fan. Stock Volvo setup does not have a fuse.
    I had a Volvo fan motor seized, no problem what so ever. Put in a new used motor and I was good to go.

I would only use the Volvo fan relay and wire it directly the battery.

turbo addict

I was thinking just run it off the factory if it can handle it. One speed on and off and be done with it. Cut and splice the plug and done. The Volvo relay setup is a nice piece tho but I don't think I'm worried about a low speed

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I was thinking just run it off the factory if it can handle it. One speed on and off and be done with it. Cut and splice the plug and done. The Volvo relay setup is a nice piece tho but I don't think I'm worried about a low speed
    If you run the green wire that powers up your factory fan now you stand the chance of burning up the fusible link. The maxi-fuses act like a replaceable fusible link. They can take larger but quicker high amp load unlike normal fuses. I believe that the fusible link is only rated about 30 amps. You're going to have to run a thicker wire and a 40 amp maxi-fuse with the factory relay for this to work. OR you can use the factory relay to turn on another relay that will send power to the fan via a 40 amp maxi-fuse.

turbo addict

Here's a really handy chart to look up the maximum amp rating or each gauge of wire. Be sure to use the chassis wiring column and use a fuse rated at 10% less than the maximum rating of the circuit.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

turbo addict

Thanks for the chart and I think I will grab a 40 amp circuit breaker that way there is no replacing fuses. Ill have to check out what size wire is run factory

turbo addict

The gauge I have in my fsm for 88 and 89 cars is 14ga, so 32 amps max and you want to go 10% less, so 30 amp fuse would be a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    The gauge I have in my fsm for 88 and 89 cars is 14ga, so 32 amps max and you want to go 10% less, so 30 amp fuse would be a perfect fit.
    IF you are running the factory fan. The OP wants to run a Volvo fan that spikes to over 30 amps and then settles down below 30 amps. When I get to work today I'll put my amp clamp on my Dakota's Volvo fan and post what it's values are.

- - - Updated - - -

The Volvo fan spikes as high as 68 amps when I turn it on and then settles down to 27 amps. I doubt the fusible link or a regular 30 amp blade fuse can handle that. Maybe a 30 amp maxi-fuse but I've been running a 40 amp maxi-fuse with no problems.

turbo addict

What gauge wires are you using? That's a hell of a spike!!

turbo addict

That is a hell of a spike I'm impressed. And you would probably need at least 10 gauge to run that many amps

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the plug I stole from the Volvo it is definitely 10 wire on both of the 2 speeds.

What gauge wires are you using? That's a hell of a spike!!
    The factory wire that supplies the Volvo fan relay and the wire that came with my maxi-fuse holder measures 1/4" in diameter including the insulation. So whatever gauge that would be.

turbo addict

Well that doesn't really help. What makes this fan so desireable? What model does it come from? Got any pics or dimensions?

Well that doesn't really help. What makes this fan so desireable? What model does it come from? Got any pics or dimensions?
    It moves a sh*t-ton of air over the factory chrysler fans. Depending on the model you get it off of, the fan shroud is almost flat making it ideal to customize.

Volvo fan on a '94 Dakota radiator.

Same Volvo fan next to a T-II radiator

Volvo fan and shroud trimmed to fit T-II radiator for my Dad's '85 T&C wagon

turbo addict

The wire is at least ten gauge. And while I was at the junkyard Friday and almost every model I found used the same fan. Shrouds were different. Anything from a s60 to a v70 wagon

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

AJ, does the defrost switch incorporate the timer?

If so I think I just found the "brains" for a turbo timer! Even better that it is camouflaged!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

If so I think I just found the "brains" for a turbo timer! Even better that it is camouflaged!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    The wire is at least ten gauge. And while I was at the junkyard Friday and almost every model I found used the same fan. Shrouds were different. Anything from a s60 to a v70 wagon
    Ya there are two different shrouds. Harry (tryingbe) knows what years have the one I pictured. I've asked him a dozen times but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Mike
    Yes, a 9 1/2 minute timer that I use to run my fan after I shut my engine off. I did a write-up on it but it got lost in the format change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast