Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, need new shocks ASAP!

turbo addict

Help, need new shocks ASAP!

Strut decided to sieze up on me tonight. Need struts quick but want the stiffest bolt on strut I can pick up at NAPA, Advance, Autostoned etc. It's for my New Yorker and I just put ShelbyZ springs on the front and the left front won't rebound at all.

Now TURBOVANMAN recommended struts to me in a post oh maybe last year or the year before but I didn't write it down or bookmark it and I can't for some reason find it or send him a PM.

If anyone is good at searching that type of stuff and can find it I'd appreciate it. Also accepting recommendations of what strut to get too. NO SENSA-SH1T's though. Been there, done that, never again.

Thanks guys.

Garrett booster

Re: Help, need new shocks ASAP!

I have kyb gas a just shocks on the back of the daytona... they work good

turbo addict

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Shelby-...b8850a&vxp=mtr

FORMULA GP Shocks

You won't find better shocks for the price.

turbo addict

I'm sorry in my panic last night I should of put "STRUTS" in the topic

turbo addict

I tried KYB struts on my stock 89 Daytona Shelby, the struts lasted maybe 3 months and the ride was floaty again.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I have Gabriel Ultras up front on Mopar lowering springs and they seem to work really well.

FYI, I originally put Sensa-Crap shocks in the back. Absolute junk. Right now, I have the KYB Gas-A-Just monotube shocks. The car is lowered 1", and I've packed the back of that car FULL of stuff before. Those shocks are great.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

For the Spirit R/T, I found Ultras for $43.99 per at AutoZone.com. I also ordered what they call "cushions" but I call them shaft protector/bellows with built in bump stop at $13.99 per. AutoZone/Fed Ex screwed up the order though, shipped only one strut, and then their internet online customer service was inept and it took them another two weeks for them to ship the other strut.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

John, how do you feel about the Ultras after using them? Are they on stock spirit r/t springs?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Jon J and JohnL THANKS! That's what simon recommended. Couldn't remember what they were called.

Now If I search for 89 Daytona I find some SACHS struts that have this in their description "StrutOE Replacement; Super Touring; Strut."

Super touring??? What's that mean? is it better than the Ultra's? It's $61 vs the $43 for the Ultras???

I'm torn on what to do, I want/need struts now! But also want the parts that are going to match those 87/88 ShelbyZ front springs and the 89/90 Kmember with ES LCA bushings and my end linked front sway bar.

What would you guys do?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I'm in the same boat. I soooooo wish that stock type Konis were available. Or Monroe Formula GPs. Or KYB AGX.

Considering the market for a true factory replacement without having to go FULL ON coil-overs that a vendor hasn't made this happen. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

turbo addict

I have the SACH struts in my GLH for about 2 years. No complaint.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I will try the Sachs next. I've tried KYB GR2 and "Excel-G" and am not impressed with those at all. Particularly on my Shelby Lancer with Eibach springs they were not a good match at all. Pogo city! On the other hand, I feel that the KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks and stock or Eibach springs are a good match. But for the front struts there is a LOT to be desired with what is available on the market today.

I like the ride height of my Shelby Lancer and most stock turbo Dodges to tell you the truth. It's not coil-overs, adjustable ride height, or major lowering that I'm after. What I really want is a performance strut that can handle stock and Eibach springs and fit like stock. I think I speak for a lot of turbo Mopar guys out there.

turbo addict

Thanks Tryingbe, I'm kinda leaning towards those but would really love to know the difference between the two choices.

Garrett booster

I have the kyb gr2s. W/ the drop springs from awhile back... I think they are 300ish springs... I dont get good feedback until I start pushing through turns... mild driving is crappy.

Vigo - Haven't installed them yet, partly because I want stiffer springs, but mainly because the second strut arrived within the week. Hey, can you, or anyone help me out on that part? the springs. Not to thread jack but yeah to jack a teensy bit - part numbers/recommendations/weights for the Spirit R/T?

I passed on the Sachs Super Touring, IIRC someone on a Porsche board diss'd them.
    Last edited by johnl; 09-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

The guy at Autozone said the Ultra's aren't a performance shock but the SACHS are more performance orientated. Who knows if he knows what he's talking about but I think I'm gonna go with the SACHS ones for now.

turbo addict

Sachs are just stock replacement.

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/...r_touring.html

Yes, that is my understanding too, the Sachs Super Touring are OEM equivalent, nothing extra, while the Gabriels are stiffer.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

welp, I ordered the SACHS, Got 20% off of them so out the door $107. Guess we'll see how they do. They won't be here till next wednesday though. My energy suspenion bump stops will be here monday and I picked up some Pro-Comp shock shaft boots since ES decided to discontinue them. Stops were $14 and the boots were $7.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and help.

John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast