Thread: Warning when installing Energy Suepsnion 89/90 LCA bushings

turbo addict

Warning when installing Energy Suepsnion 89/90 LCA bushings

Just installed a set today. The instructions are wrong IMO They have the sleeves in the wrong spots. The short sleeve should go where the long sleeve goes and the long sleeve where the short goes. After doing that they look and seem to work much better to install. Haven't driven on them yet. Here's the instructions to show what I'm talking about. Pictured is how you recieve them from ES.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: Warning when installing Energy Suepsnion 89/90 LCA bushings

Last time I used a set of those the metal inner sleeve was too small OD, had to reuse the factory piece with the new bushings, they fix that yet?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Talk to Johnny Spiva. When I got my kit from him, he had some special instructions. Problem is I can't remember now. It may be like Alan says and you have to reuse the factory sleeves.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

I just did my control arms two months ago and had to reuse the factory sleeves. The ES ones were too small as stated. My bushings were purchased awhile ago though. I had the stub strut control arms.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In for the future. I have a set of these in the basement which I'll be installing this winter.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Last time I used a set of those the metal inner sleeve was too small OD, had to reuse the factory piece with the new bushings, they fix that yet?
    Alan where yours for the dual pivot 89/90 arms? My sleeves were nice and tight in the bushings. If you look at the instructions they give the dimensions of the sleeves and they're right on as I double checked them with my calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Talk to Johnny Spiva. When I got my kit from him, he had some special instructions. Problem is I can't remember now. It may be like Alan says and you have to reuse the factory sleeves.
    Nope, won't talk to Johnny about LCA bushings, Tried his when they 1st came out, just about put the car into a cement K-rail because of them, took them out went back to stock bushings and won't run them in any car ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    I just did my control arms two months ago and had to reuse the factory sleeves. The ES ones were too small as stated. My bushings were purchased awhile ago though. I had the stub strut control arms.

These are for the dual pivots, the stub strut are a completely different design. But the last time I did them which was back in 2002 probably I remember having to pound the ES sleeves in with a hammer so they weren't too small.

Please to everyone posting in this thread this is ONLY FOR THE 89/90 DUAL PIVOT ARMS. If you have stub strut 88 and earlier then this thread is not for you.

Other than reversing the sleeve positions they fit great. Everything is nice and tight.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Sorry for your previous experience. But to clarify, I meant talk to him about the ES ones.
    I had ordered a PB lca stamped dual pivot kit from him and when I found out they didn't work, he said I would need the Energy Susp bushing kit. (And he sent one out to me. ) There were some special instructions but can't remember exactly what they were.
    If the included sleaves don't match the lengths of the factory ones, then you may have to reuse the factory ones. I think the bushings had different thickness "flanges" also? In that case placement to which side fore/aft is important.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Sleeve's match the factory lengths within .005" they just need to be reversed in their location. Other than that the directions are spot on. I'm going to try and contact ES to let them know of the mistake. This thread is just to inform everyone of the correct way they need to be installed.