Thread: Replacing Rod Bolt

Garrett booster

Replacing Rod Bolt

Doing a stock rebuild with LW rods and cast pistons. Rods were resized at the machine shop and new pistons pressed on. Went to assemble the short block and one rod bolt just didn't feel right on that last 1/4 turn. Was going to loosen up both nuts and re-torque but it was seized on the bolt and broke. I have another rod but what is the best option. Take piston and replacement rod to machine shop? I've heard cast pistons can break when pressing the pins out. Can I take a bolt out of the other rod and press it in place of the broken one, without unmounting the piston. Does the rod need to be resized again, even if it is another stock bolt going in. Say eff it and run on 3 cylinders???

Need some advice.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Replacing Rod Bolt

Did you install new rod bolts when they were resized last? If you had the machine shop install new ones I would take it back there and hope they would fix it. Regardless, I would have a machine shop at least check the rod for size if you install new bolts.

Hybrid booster

Why would the rod size change when replacing rod bolts?

I've replaced rod bolts with new ones when I used to have to replace stock pistons on a bi-weekly basis way back when. Bang the old ones out and bang the new ones in and done.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Why would the rod size change when replacing rod bolts?

I've replaced rod bolts with new ones when I used to have to replace stock pistons on a bi-weekly basis way back when. Bang the old ones out and bang the new ones in and done.
    Replacing a bolt can change the roundness of the bearing bore slightly. Is it enough to worry about? Well, doing a stock type rebuild, maybe not. If your building a close tolerance racing engine, it could mean the difference between spinning a bearing and not. Any time you apply force to parts like that, you can move them.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Did you install new rod bolts when they were resized last? If you had the machine shop install new ones I would take it back there and hope they would fix it. Regardless, I would have a machine shop at least check the rod for size if you install new bolts.
    No the bolts were not replaced they just ground the caps and resized the big end

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would take it to the machine shop for a check before installation.

turbo addict

I try to torque to the bottom of the tolerance if there is a range for rod bolts.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56