Thread: lbody ps axle question a568 in lbody

turbo addict

lbody ps axle question a568 in lbody

I have a problem with the PS axle being too long by an inch. using 88-90 omni Auto axles. The stock 87 axle is the right length. I can't get any plunge on that side. can I swap the inner joint and use the old axle? Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: lbody ps axle question a568 in lbody

Is it equal or unequal setup? If it is equal then try switching sides. Sound like you have a Daytona axle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Double check axle application. On l-body if I recall correctly, the 88-90 auto LH omni axles are slightly shorter than the 525 turbo l-body axles.
    Is your motor close to being centered correctly? Are you using the correct tranny mount? Modified 525 manual L-body? Should be part # 4295256. Wrong tranny mount for l-body is 4295257. If you use the wrong tranny mount (non l-body) your axles won't fit and motor won't be close to being in proper location.
    If using 2 LH 88-90 auto omni axles, you should be using the larger car j-shaft and hanger, not the l-body jack shaft stuff.
    Todd

boostaholic

I believe the K-frame mounting points are adjustable too and can be shifted left to right to center the engine/trans.

turbo addict

I'm using the old 525 mount that I modified to fit the a568...is it possible to install this backwards? I'm using the unequal length setup out of a 88' auto. The engine is pushed all the way over onto the driver side and I have maybe an 1/8" plunge on the passenger side axle. The drive side has at least a 1/2". I pulled the unequal setup off of a car in the junkyard with 75,000 original miles on it. From what I could see the axles appeared to be original to the car. Comparing the lengths there's an inch difference in the old style axle to the new one. If the only difference is the inner joint I should be able to just swap the joint to the old axle correct? If anyone who is using the 88-90 setup and has measured the plunge and gets a satisfactory amount on both sides would measure their passenger side axle I can verify I do have the correct one.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Generally, I get about 5/8" plunge depth, but the most important thing is that they're both equal. I don't see how you could install the trans mount backwards; the bolt pattern makes that pretty much impossible. FWIW, when I did the TII/555 swap in my Charger, I had to return the passenger axle three times before I got one that actually fit.

turbo addict

Looking at the cast units that seem to be the only thing we can get aftermarket I really don't want to use one of those unless I absolutely have to. Does anyone know if I can simply swap the inner cv joint onto the old shaft and just use that? I know for sure that axle is the right length just has the wrong joint on it for the A568. Thanks.