Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caliber vs all

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Caliber vs all

Thanks. Most of the races have been on highways just outside of town and late at night. Not exactly safe, but I do try to keep the racing to more reasonable places/times.

When the car was stock, it would push about 12 psi of boost at WOT. With the Mopar Stage I, the throttle is a LOT more responsive (drive-by-wire), but could still be better. I also now see about 16 psi of boost at WOT. I also installed a set of 1-step cooler NGK Iridium spark plugs. Also, I always shut off the factory traction/stability control when racing, otherwise the boost and throttle gets cut pretty agressively when there is wheel spin. I have about 28k miles on the car now with the original Goodyear F1 tires. Doesn't seem to have any problem roasting the tires through 1st and 2nd gear despite being 27" diameter. It will spin a bit into 3rd if the road is too smooth as well. I have an ND Performance TCS system (aka driver mod) ready to install to help with launches.

Lately I've been spending most of my spare time working on old school turbo Mopars, so I haven't gotten around to modding the Caliber at all. I do kinda like the fact that it is still so quiet with the stock exhaust though.

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Out of curiosity, at what altitute are you guys running at in Wyoming? I know there are some places there up quite a bit and the N/A cars will fall off significantly more than a boosted car in the mountains. Just check out the videos of the Mexican turbo Mopar guys! That's why even Ma Mopar offered Turbo IIIs in more cars and offered turbo 2.4Ls in the Stratus and Cirrus sedans in the '90s. This could explain how some of the Camaros, GTOs, and Mustangs, etc. are easier than anticipated. (Not as must explaining the EVO/WRX cars but from what I've seen with them, their drivers usually aren't great and they don't pull as hard once the AWD isn't a factor when rolling or at speed already.

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Elevation where I am here in Gillette WY is about 4550 ft.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

That's getting up there a bit. I could tell my Daytona was breathing a bit harder when we went to the Black Hills and Devil's Tower this summer. I could only imagine the effect on some NA cars.

Hybrid booster

Does your caliber have vvt? I know that could make up quite a bit compared to the n-srt4

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I believe all Caliber SRTs got the 2.4L dual VVT turbo engine.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

All world engines use vvt with cam phasers. Except the new 2.4l tiger shark world engine which uses multiair.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    That's getting up there a bit. I could tell my Daytona was breathing a bit harder when we went to the Black Hills and Devil's Tower this summer. I could only imagine the effect on some NA cars.
    elevation has zero effect on turbo cars, ask anyone on here...............

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    elevation has zero effect on turbo cars, ask anyone on here...............
    I disagree. Elevation WILL have an effect on turbo cars, just not as much.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

I'm with Reaper1. I live an hour away from the Rocky Mountains, and I notice a difference when driving at high altitude.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I'm with Reaper1. I live an hour away from the Rocky Mountains, and I notice a difference when driving at high altitude.
    I know......just most people on here will argue that it dont

I used to live in Laramie WY, which is at 7200 ft. I noticed a big time decrease in power. At WOT when under full boost, the difference may not have been as much. But just getting there took longer, and I would see less vacuum at idle even compared to Gillette at 4500 ft. The engine was downright sluggish and much less repsonsive at 7200 ft. My Shelby Lancer would only show about 12 in/hg vacuum at idle there and the boost/vac needle slower to respond to throttle changes.

We're at 1200 feet elevation give or take, and I know we found one spot on our trip that was listed as 6000 feet. I think it was in Custer State Park, or maybe around Jewel Cave. Either way, the Daytona was definately feeling it.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good read Jeremy. The point about elevation isn't the effect on turbo cars, it's the effect on the NA cars. Long ago, in my GLHT, with four guys with their gear and 4 sets of skis on the roof, we seriously outran a Vette but that was at altitude, near the Big Bear ski area. Poor Chevy was wheezing.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Well it happened again! Beat another newer Mustang GT (2011-2014?) in the Caliber. This time it was from a dig. I had just left my apartment when a blacked-out GT turned out the McDonalds drive-thru and followed me out of town. I could see him getting on the throttle in my rear-view mirror in town, so I decided to see if he would follow on the highway going out. Sure enough he does and attempted a flyby in the other lane which I promptly put an end to. About a 1/2 mile up the road we get a red light together. I'm thinking, "Oh ---- I am toast now"!

I pulled up to the light just behind him and he actually rolled back so we were lined up and started revving a little. I shut the traction control off, and just tried as hard as I could not to spin. It must have worked because he never even got a fender on me. By the time I got to 3rd gear I was pulling away good enough that he gave up and didn't try again.

I'm just telling it like it happened. I don't know if the guy just couldn't drive or what and I know it doesn't make much sense. :shrug: The Mustang sure sounded good though!

Hybrid booster

That is awesome, though the coyote is awesome i have seen people running mid 13s mostly 5spd so im not shocked at all. I wish i could say i have had the same luck. Im going low 13s and i get destroyed by all those but i havent lost to a honda yet and 2 were turbo. Good kills

turbo addict

Pretty sure you haven't met this porky thing...I'm not like most Camaro owners...no mullet!

http://www.indycarz.com/forum/attach...2&d=1423845461

http://www.indycarz.com/forum/attach...1&d=1423845430
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hybrid booster

I also own an 08 CSRT and it is an absolute blast. If I may offer a bit of advice, go with the Real Tune MS1K computer flash (www.realtune.com). It absolutely transformed my car into a totally different ride. I did a lot of reading up on it before I decided to have it done and I didn't quite believe the stories guys were telling about how much different the car was but they are true. Other supporting mods on my car are AGP front mount, full 3" exhaust with catless dp, k&n drop in, AGP adjustable wga, hallman MBC and a mopar blue plate bov noise maker.

As it sits now my car will fry the front tires from a third gear roll at 65mph with TC off. Not only does the flash give you more power, but it sets the "nanny" limit for torque production way higher. The stock computer and MS1 will start pulling throttle and timing if it feels like you are making too much power. This makes other mods useless because the computer won't ever let you see the full potential of the mod. Throttle response is much much much better, traction control is much less invasive, boost is nearly instant. It makes the car in stock form feel like a slug. If you have the scratch laying around to buy that computer I HIGHLY recommend it. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Congrats on the street action too btw, I believe every bit of it.

How did the MS1K affect your fuel mileage? Which version did you get?

Hybrid booster

Fuel mileage did go up slightly, I get right around 33-34 highway between 65-70mph. I got version 3.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast