Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Four turbos gone bad

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Re: Four turbos gone bad

Todd, I assume that was because it uncovered the oval shaped feed through for cooling the power module which is located in the radiator bulkhead. WOW 107 from and intercooled log manifold 2.2! Stock Corvettes and Buick regals around that time must have been very wary of you car. It would have cleaned house.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'm running 10w30 right now, about to switch to 5w30. I wouldn't run 10w40 unless you have oil pressure issues, like a missing restrictor in the block. In that case I'd run 20w50 But if everything is correct, 30 weight is plenty.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    suprckrbx, I should have included the following information. The engine was cold, 10W40 oil, pressure was 55 psi and idle was about 1100 rpms. I would assume that once the oil was up to temp it might flow more or less, I don't know which, because I don't know what actually happens to the viscosity of 10W40 when heated. The drop point should decrease.
    Should I use a different grade of oil?
    Jeff
    I'm not the guy to ask. I'm in the same boat you were six months ago but somehow getting a completely different answer than you did.

Today I discovered that the noise might have been from my map feed. The line blew out of the rubber nipple today. I am going to cement the line to the nipple tommorow. I think I will dump the 103 40 tommorow and put in 10W30.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

I don't know about I have been screwing up turbos pretty regularly. That is referring to the turbo killer post. Lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    This made me question the whole site.

Along with frequent oil changes it is also advisable to allow the car about one to one and a half minutes of idle time before the engine is turned off if you have been driving at higher speeds, for example on the interstate.
    Driving on the freeway should have your car running about as cool as it can. Why let it heat up when shutting it down? Haven't we gotten past the cool down after driving deal now that we use water cooled turbos anyway? Perhaps this site transferred all of the advice they were giving in the early 80s directly to the internet?

^Some of it applies....I def. dont find the first website and believe everything I read, with some searching probably find some good articles along with that one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345