Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginner Minivan Build

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Beginner Minivan Build

It depends on what you want to do with the van. If you want to keep it auto you have to be concerned with lag. How do you feel about lag as it is? An s60 would spool about the same.

My opinion is that people can take the basic tII-style turbo a lot farther than they usually do. If the rest of the setup is good enough you can make a little over 300hp at the crank with a tII turbo and if you upgrade the compressor side and port the turbine housing and modify the swingvalve housing etc, you can probably do a bit over 400chp. At that point you are deep into the 12s if not high 11s in a minivan.

So, i would just put an upgraded compressor side on the tII style turbo and keep on trucking. If you never want to make more than low 300s hp i would just stick a 60 trim or a60 compressor wheel in the stock-style turbo and leave it at that. Most people would be better served building a custom swingvalve housing before going any bigger than that on the compressor anyway.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Vigo according to the pics earlier in the thread it's a 5spd?????

The S60 is a nice street turbo, with 3" exhaust on a mostly stock 2.5 mine would hit full boost by 2500rpms. Lag was a non-issue. IMO like CS said, if you have lag you aint driving it right. Turbo choice IMO is what you plan to do with it and your end goals. If you just want a fun street vehicle the S60 is hard to beat especially if the head is stock. And with things like the ATP swingvalve setup will make good power. Though will probably spool like a Mitsu. Can be lots of fun but if you're just lighting up the tires all the way across the street you're not going very fast and a little lag could be a good thing to allow the car to hook up.

Isn't that the 2nd time i've forgotten this van was 5spd? hahahah

Garrett booster

Haha, yes this is a 5 speed!

The last two times I've driven it I havn't noticed any smoke, maybe I'm going crazy. I'm still going to be looking for another turbo. So is my best bet to send it in to one of the vendors and have them rebuild and modify it for me?

Also, my end goal for this van is just to have a fun street car I can embarrass some people with, and maybe a few trips to the drag strip.

turbo addict

Then a S60 is probably about right.

Yeah, just upgrade the compressor side to 60 trim or s60 and call it a day.

Garrett booster

Unfortunately this project has taken a back seat to my jetski builds lately. That and I blew up the transmission.. Work is slow but a few more parts have arrived.

Here is how I plan on setting up my intercooler. (Ignore how messy my vacuum lines are... I'll clean those up when I finalize how I want it set up.) I'm gonna take it into work tomorrow to try and get the blow off valve mount welded on. It about as straight of a shot as you can get between the turbo and intake.

Now what do I need to do with that tube that comes from the valve cover into the air box?

turbo addict

is that the 350hp i/c or the 600hp ic from frozen boost?

Garrett booster

Yes, this one. But I bought it in the kit.

http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water...ler-p-210.html

Garrett booster

So far this has been a great read for my own 89 5spd Van build. I will be using an IC/RAD from an 87 shelby though instead of water cooled. Plan on having fun with the stock mitsu for a bit until it poops or the engine poops, then rebuild with a Garrett T2 modified .60 wheel.

I read in here that the T2 Garrett is almost a bolt on, but won't bolt into the van's swingvalve 2.5" or do I have that backwards? I thought in 89 the 2.5 t1 got a 2.5" swingvalve for the little mitsu and that the t2 Garrett's bolt right to it, just need new oil and coolant line?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The DP works but the Mitsu SV won't work with the Garrett. You need new oil and coolant line's, buy the TU or FWD braided kit.

I 2nd the S60, haven't driven one but my friends 89 plain jane van with just a TII turbo swap, auto, was a completly different animal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Not to steal the thread... But, are 20+ injectors going to be a gain with stock head/bottom, FMIC, BOV, grainger valve, wide band 02, Garrett T2 3"TU swing valve, electronic exhaust cut out on 3" down pipe, fooled map sensor w/Dioed.
    I bought these and was hoping I would need them and may have jumped to buy to soon.
    Thanks! (90 Turbo Voyager)

Technically the parts you have are capable of slightly more power than the +20s can actually support, but that's still 50+more hp then stockers can do, so i'd say they will be useful to the tune of 50hp if you run the combo hard enough.

Garrett booster

Alright, I guess it is time to get back to work on this van after a short three year break. I had a couple transmission problems that slowed me down. First on my was home one day I shifted out of second gear and that was it. Shifter got stuck and I could only go back and forth from neutral to second. I limped home and there it sat for two years while I was busy (lazy) with school and work. I ended up buying another A555 from a member on here and last year I swapped that into that van. Then I had a weird problem where it was hard to get into gear after installing the new trans. I ended up draining the 5w30 conventional oil I originally filled it with and replaced it with ATF. Problem solved. I'm not sure why, but that worked. Link to that thread --> http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...eferrerid=7390

Garrett booster

Now back to the fun stuff. I purchased a bunch of go-fast parts years ago and completely forgot about them. I have been going through the boxes recently trying to piece together what I planned on doing. I have a new turbo (.63 ar, 50 trim), w2a intercooler, +40s, 3 bar, and a 4 stage boost button cal that was setup to progress to the next cal level as I added more parts.

I can't find my spec sheet for the cal and I don't remember what I needed to do for the fuel system. Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or will the updated cal usually adjust the fuel curve as required to account for the bigger injectors without the need for the afpr?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

send me a PM. ill help you learn to tune if need be.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    send me a PM. ill help you learn to tune if need be.

Brian
    - advice to OP: take notes!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123