Thread: Charging issue

Hybrid booster

Charging issue

Finally got to the point where i could allow the car to run for several minutes and noticed after it started it was obvious that i am having a charging issue.

i am watching my voltage though megalog viewer. Before i start the car voltage is a tick over 12 (battery is not fully charged by any means but still cranks the car just fine). Immediately after starting it will hang out around 11.9 for a couple minutes, then 11.8 for a minute or so then 11.7 and so on until about 5 minutes pass and i am hitting low 11 high 10 and then i will shut the car off.

Here is my setup:
    Alternator: 90 amp Bosch (i believe it is the factory unit out of my 90 Shadow. Tested GOOD tonight at autozone and always worked fine in the sbec shadow)
    External voltage regulator: (wired per the Knowledge center article. Replaced tonight with a new one (for 86 horizon) still to no avail).
    Battery: Braille no weight (couple years old but not used very much at all).
    new alt belt. good tension.
    megasquirt 3 extra
    pretty much no factory wiring remains. Alternator ground spits (one to head, one to battery (-) aux side post). Alternator (+) directly to battery (+) aux side post. There is a small internal thread the side of each main battery terminals for additional wires. This is what i am referring to when i say aux.
    the main negative from battery goes to the head. the main positive from the battery goes to a master switch inside. From the master switch lug i have 2 wires. 1 goes to the starter and the other powers my master relay/fuse board.

i get 12 v at the alt field terminals when i turn on ignition.
    No voltage difference from positive of battery to positive of alternator while running) (these were tests someone told me to do to check sufficient wiring..not sure if they mean anything or not)
    No voltage difference from negative of battery to alternator housing while running)

No increase of voltage seen while revving to 2k.
    Battery reads 12.2ish directly on leads with multimeter while running while megalogview will show 11.8-11.9 at same instant.

regardless of initial battery charge i would think a proper system would jump to the normal range while running correct?

What could it be? is it likely something with the wiring? should i tie the alt positive in somwhere else besides directly to the battery? more grounds?

thanks,

turbo addict

Re: Charging issue

What terminals from ext reg go where? I haven't read the KC article on doing this. I'm using the stock wiring/ ext regulator on mine and it works just fine.

Hybrid booster

Re: Charging issue

the two wires from the ext reg go to the two field terminals on the alt. The blue one also gets a switched +12 v from the ignition as well.

i was messing around with it two nights ago trying everything under the sun (checking wiring, adding an extra ground, cleaning terminals) then it magically started working. to my knowledge nothing changed in the actual wiring of the car which kinda bugs me since i cant pinpoint exactly what the root cause was...works good now tho. High 13 volts while idling.