Thread: Will a 2.2 intake bolt to one side of a SOHC Neon head & the 2.2 exhaust bolt on too?

turbo addict

Will a 2.2 intake bolt to one side of a SOHC Neon head & the 2.2 exhaust bolt on too?

Thinking of a wild idea....lots of people switch to the Neon heads for better flow and less heat soak troubles. I have a spare SOHC Neon head and was wondering...will the 2.2 intake bolt up to the intake side and will the 2.2 stock header bolt up to the exhaust side? I am cheap, so hopefully this will work. The current motor being used is a common block 2.5 from 1994...how will the compression be affected? I DO NOT have an extra intake or header laying around and refuse to pull mine off to see if they fit the spare head. Thanks.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Re: Will a 2.2 intake bolt to one side of a SOHC Neon head & the 2.2 exhaust bolt on

Unfortunately, they will not bolt up.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Will a 2.2 intake bolt to one side of a SOHC Neon head & the 2.2 exhaust bolt on

Purchasing some SOHC neon manifolds shouldn't cost hardly anything.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Purchasing some SOHC neon manifolds shouldn't cost hardly anything.
    True, but then I would need some sort of adapter to stick my carb on it....love the 3 minute changing of the jets for tuning!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

I read somewhere YEARS ago that a 8V turbo manifold could be bolted to a sohc head by redrilling the sohc head for the 8v pattern. The "meat" is there and the port spacing is the same. Ports however are a completely different shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    I read somewhere YEARS ago that a 8V turbo manifold could be bolted to a sohc head by redrilling the sohc head for the 8v pattern. The "meat" is there and the port spacing is the same. Ports however are a completely different shape.
    It would be easier to weld a turbo flange to the collector area of the Neon exhaust manifold.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

It sounds like a horrible idea to me but thought it pertained. But honestly, why not just swap to a full 2.0 engine with the neon harness. If you use a 95 harness, it shouldn't be that hard. Or just megasquirt and then you can make all the tuning changes you want in less then 3 min...

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you could probably have an adapter machined to run the carb intake on the neon head but it would be super restrictive and may not clear the hood.

bike carbs would be easier.

long tube neon header would work fine on a sohc neon head in an omni.

you know the neon head requires some creative plumbing and plugging of various areas that dont quite mate up right?

oh... im not sure but i think the CR would go up. i thought neon heads had smaller chambers but thats just a hunch.

all that said, i think a 2.5L with a DOHC neon head with big cams and high CR and a long tube header and either individual throttle bodies or large bike carbs would be fun to hammer around.

btw, the sohc head doesnt flow all that well unless its the 2000+ neon rt magnum head.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    It sounds like a horrible idea to me but thought it pertained. But honestly, why not just swap to a full 2.0 engine with the neon harness. If you use a 95 harness, it shouldn't be that hard. Or just megasquirt and then you can make all the tuning changes you want in less then 3 min...
    The main reason for this idea is....I have the head on hand and since I make a good amount of cash bracket racing I LOVE the fact that if I jet the carb right and have the EGTs right at 1390 degrees at the finish line the car runs dead on. Getting more power should help on days of headwinds. At least I have the answers I was looking for and I don't think making an adapter to mate my carb to a SOHC or DOHC intake would take much work. I also was thinking of going to a Neon DOHC top end AND using its electronics...but the current SOHC motor with minor mods in my stick 95 Neon , very slightly modded is darn consistent too and about 25 hp more. Old Matchbox has about 94 hp at the tires while the Cheap Skate has about 119. The both run the same ETs but the Neon is 84 mph compared to Matchbox's 78...short times are a great 2.1 for the Box and 2.4s for the Skate. The Cheap Skate...currently 2nd in points in the United Manual Transmission Racers series...the ONLY car driven to and from every event! http://hyperperformance.smugmug.com/...0259&k=MNf7v62

So why not just gut a Neon to make it as light as the Omni? Probably wouldn't take much gutting. Problem solved.
    You can probably pick up a rough-looking good-running SOHC neon sedan for a few hundred bucks.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    So why not just gut a Neon to make it as light as the Omni? Probably wouldn't take much gutting. Problem solved.
    You can probably pick up a rough-looking good-running SOHC neon sedan for a few hundred bucks.
    The Matchbox is 1889 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas....I think that there would be no way to make a Neon that light and still drive it on the street.