Thread: Minivan Transmission Issues?

Garrett booster

Minivan Transmission Issues?

I'm considering using a Grand Caravan as a work truck for my new business. I've been looking on craigslist for cheaper ones and they all seem to have transmission issues. Some say it won't shift out of first, some say stuck in 2nd (limp mode I assume), and some say needs new torque converter.

I was just curious what could really be wrong with some of these. And if it could be something I could fix myself? I have 91 thru 93 FSM's and have been working on EEK cars for years. I've never had to dive into the transmission other than swapping a valve body on a 3 speed Acclaim.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm itching to get back under the hood of a Mopar.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Minivan Transmission Issues?

Transmission problems with the electronic 4 speeds usually occur when people or shops use Dexron III instead of Chrysler's ATF+4. The Dexron attacks the clutch material. If you see a Chrysler mini-van for sale and it says it has transmission problems, assume it's going to need a rebuild. Maybe a computer or reflash but most likely a new trans.

Garrett booster

What about 3 speeds? I've been seeing some that say no forward gears work. Or needs a new torque converter. I always assumed the 3 speeds were indestructible.

My assumption is that if someone had a "shop"do any tranny work, it probably has Dexron in it.

Were 3 speeds available in the later years? Would I see any in V6's?

You'll only see 3 speeds on very early 3.0's, maybe '87 through '89. You will never see a 3 speed on a 3.3 or 3.8. 3 speeds are pretty indestructible but the higher the miles the more wear and tear it's seen and nothing lasts forever.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LowSL2 View Post
    What about 3 speeds? I've been seeing some that say no forward gears work. Or needs a new torque converter. I always assumed the 3 speeds were indestructible.

My assumption is that if someone had a "shop"do any tranny work, it probably has Dexron in it.

Were 3 speeds available in the later years? Would I see any in V6's?
    They were used less and less but chrysler did use the 3spd/3.0 through the end of 99/00 in the 3rd generation minivans.

Garrett booster

Talked to a guy selling a 99 with 3.0 and 3 speed. Says that the valve body is full of small black bits. He cleaned it out, and it worked for one trip around the block and it won't go forward again. I'm thinking the clutches are shot. Just a rebuild maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    They were used less and less but chrysler did use the 3spd/3.0 through the end of 99/00 in the 3rd generation minivans.
    I know they used the 3 speeds with the 2.4 in the mini-vans but I didn't think they were still using them on the 3.0's that late.

Quote Originally Posted by LowSL2 View Post
    Talked to a guy selling a 99 with 3.0 and 3 speed. Says that the valve body is full of small black bits. He cleaned it out, and it worked for one trip around the block and it won't go forward again. I'm thinking the clutches are shot. Just a rebuild maybe?
    Probably just needs a rebuild. Something is letting go. It's probably the clutches. But it doesn't make sense that stuff is getting past the filter into the valve body.

After 1988, 3 speed and 4 speed automatics were used in minivans equipped with the 3.0L V6 or the 2.4L 4 cylinder. It really depended on the trim level and options selected when new. The last Caravan to use a 3 speed automatic is the 2002 Caravan SE with a 2.4L engine and even then it could be optioned with the 4 speed. By this point in time though, there was no reason to stick with the older transmission and in those later vans the extra gear really helps.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

For a 'normal' car id rather have a 4spd than a 3spd. On the 4spds if it is really stuck in 2nd it could be as simple as an input speed sensor, output speed sensor, or solenoid pack. I did have a 94 give me fits last year with intermittent limp mode that i literally could not diagnose over the course of months (it's a family member's car). Every time i would do something it would not act up for a while so it took forever to diagnose. Turned out to be a bad TCM!

Pre-96 the 4spd transmission codes come through a separate diagnostic connector that is to the left of the steering column under the dash. So, if you plan to have any codes pulled on an obd1 4spd van, make sure the shop you're going to has the right connector for it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I have an OTC 4000 scanner. I'll have to see if I have the connector for the TCM. Is it thru the CCD interface? I think I need a special adapter for that.

Mitsu booster

As a Factory trained transmission tech i can tell you a few things I found common in the 41TE, or A604 Ultradrive transaxle.
    1. Always use a highly friction modified fluid ATF+4. Some have used Lubeguard, but i prefer the mopar fluid.
    2. Try to have the latest software installed in the TCM, it really does make a big difference in the expected life of the transaxle.
    3.Do upgrade the cooling system, capacity, and airflow in the AS, and NS vans, the number one cause of problems stem from fluid degradation due to overheating.
    4. Dextron in itself will not attack the clutch linings, more acuratly it will cause the clutch material to scorch, due to incorrect coefecient of friction, you see the fluid must produce the correct amount of slip. To little slip and the clutches shudder and cause poor shift quality. The build up of heat will also cause the steel plates to heat check and create hot spots, which in turn destroy the clutch packs, drivehubs and clutch assemblies.
    5. Torque converters cannot be Flushed and expected to operate correctly, have a quality remanufactured TC installed.
    ( The small black particles refered to earlier in this thread are likely bits of LU clutch lining).
    6. Always scan and record all trouble codes, if you encounter a speed ratio error along with a code 36 immediately after shift, the failure is mechanical in nature. Speed ratio errors w/o 36 can be simple speed sensor issues.
    Also record clutch volume readings, as this will show the fill volumes for each clutch pack. Too high an index reading and the clutch pack is worn or broken.
    7. I recommend a flush or fluid exchange every 15-30K and filter and sump inspection at 30-60K miles. Remember the fluid must lubricate the bushings, bearings, and gears as well as provide lube for the clutches, and transmit forward motion thru the TC. this process builds up a great deal of heat, with out a good working cooling system, the fluid will break down and the transaxle will fail.
    I rebuilt hundreds of 41TE transaxles while I worked as a dealership technician,
    . Most of these were under the factory warrenty. In the end the transaxle turned out to be a fairly good unit, like all transaxles, transmissions, they do fail, and many time this was due to incorrect fluid, poor driving habits, or lack of proper maintenance.
    Many times the transmission c an be repaired if it has suffered a drive hub failure, but typicaly if an overheat condition has caused the defect, the entire transaxle must be reconditioned, as all the rubber seals will be compromised!A

Hybrid booster

Keep in mind the 3.3 and 3.8 have more ecu type failures, in 1996 1 for the engine, 1 for the transmission, 1 for the body, which can't be fixed by common tools or tuning that i know. - So you get to pay every time it stops working.
    Also, A604, the 2nd gear planet before a certain year (i dont remember) tend to break in half without warning.
    The 3.3 and 3.8 engine also have a weak spot in the timing gear on the cam either breaks the keyway or gets loose and slips and destroys the engine.
    My MPG experience w the 3.8 was 17mpg on a good day. Ran well til it broke at around 190k not sure if engine was original but it was well maintained.
    The 604 I have here I had to rebuild with a cnc 2nd gear planet/gear set, i got 10k out of it then the engine broke as described above.

Every a413 i rebuilt worked well, only ones that failed had black metallic fluid in them when I bought the car/van.
    /.02 trying to help...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

My relative's 94 3.8/604 grand van that i found for him averages 16-17 in town, but on the highway i regularly hit 25mpg with it. You can drive that thing to get 25-26 on the highway, which is impressive to me. However, if you just get in it and drive, normal highway driving with all of the subconscious speeding up and slowing down usually lands at 22-23.

I think they get good mpg for what they are. I have a 92 Montero that has a smaller motor, less interior space, is way slower, handles worse, and doesnt even get CLOSE to the highway numbers of the 3.8 van. They average a similar mpg in city driving. So it just depends on how you will use it whether a grand caravan gets 'bad' mpg.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?