Thread: 1989 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5 Turbo 5 speed

1989 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5 Turbo 5 speed

Date: 23rd August 2013
    Username: Tim
    Full Name:
    Lower Burrell, PA
    Selling or Wanted Price: Asking price is $700.00

These car photos were taken on 8/17/13. >>I don't know how to post photos here, I have 4 photos in the same named for sale ad at over at turbododge.com , and / or email me and I will email you photos <<

The time has come to put my 1989 Turbo Spirit ES 2/5 Turbo 5 speed up for sale. It's been mostly just sitting since April when I got a newer car, I got it from this site back in July 2008 with 107,500 miles, and now, 5 years later, it is up to 210,000 miles. A friend of mine wanted to get it, but I know he wouldn't appreciate it or take proper care of it.

It is an original J code 2.5 turbo car. The previous owner has this car and a rusted 1990 Spirit ES Turbo, and he put all the 1990 wiring into this car throughout. It has the 1990 SBEC and associated wiring.

I've never had the engine apart, the biggest jobs I ever did on it was to change the clutch at 170,000 miles, a new heater core in October 2012, and a new fuel pump and filter at 201,000 miles in September 2012. I also changed the alternator in November 2012. It has a stock style Garret Turbo 2 turbocharger, I've never had to mess with it. I've never had the engine apart beyond changing the valve cover and timing belt / water pump. The previous owner told me the engine was all stock internally, no ported head or cam. It has the 2 piece intake and a LoneWolf Performance fuel rail.

The transmission is a 523 5 speed with 3.50 gears. It used to be intercooled, but the stock Turbo radiator was in bad shape and I replaced it with a full size radiator.

The exhaust system is a 2-1/2" system with a Magnaflow cat, put on over 4 years ago. It recently got a small hole right behind the cat.

It needs a good going over and cleaning up, once that is done you can have a nice cruiser / drag strip racer car.

Back when it was intercooled on 13+ psi, it would touch high 14's @ 92 at the dragstrip, non intercooled and 11 psi, as it is now would get low 16's.

I had changed the timing belt and intermediate shaft seal back in January 2013, but a few weeks later the new seal started leaking again. Most of the engine seals leak or seep somewhat, a nice freshening up and total seal change would make a positive difference. The engine itself runs fine, no knocks or noises that shouldn't be there.

I've had a lot of fun times in this car. I drove it in PA, then loaded it up and drove out to Los Angeles for a little over 2 years and went all over that city ( I had a job for about 1-1/2 years on and off driving women at night to their "appointments", lots of memorable times there!), and then back to PA and more riding around here until April 2013 when I got a newer Neon (which is Teh Suck for power and speed compared to the Turbo Spirit), and now it is semi-retired for me, as I'm heading back to L.A. in a couple months and I need to find a good home for the Turbo Spirit.

I always tried to keep on top of any rust spots, worst spot was at the bottom rear of the left rocker panel, every year or so I'd wire brush it real good and spray the hell out of it inside and out with the rust converter spray and seal it up with RTV and a piece of sheet metal. The left side of the spare tire well has a few little pinholes, I always kept those sprayed as well. I once saw a bit of rust in the front floors but I blasted it with rust converter spray and fiberglass and expanding foam sealer to keep moisture away!

Asking $700 as is, it has a clean Pennsylvania title and can be driven home. The car is about 20 miles outside of Pittsburgh, Pa, come and get it! Clean it up, tune it up, and give it another 100,000 miles of Turbo Dodge fun!
    Last edited by Tim; 08-23-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: new info