Thread: quit running after an idiot

Mitsu booster

quit running after an idiot

I let someone test drive my car today I was thinking about selling it and needless to say this retard revved it up to redline and it started to lose power and chugged and died. After getting the car towed home and this idiot walking away leaving me with a broken car im able to turn the distributor and it will run barely. My guess is the timing belt jumped, these engines are non-interference correct ? is there anything else I need to check other than the timing to see what the problem is ? btw... its a 87 SC,,

turbo addict

Re: quit running after an idiot

Non interference engine.

Cam and ignition timing.
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/timing_belt.html

One shouldn't be calling the operator names, when it isn't the operator's fault.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

ETA: I posted the video so you could see the easy way to check if the motor is in time. Look at the window in the trans and also at the cam sprocket. If the timing somehow jumped at the int. shaft only that can be taken out with a simple ignition timing adjustment.

Hybrid booster

The mirror method works beautifully. Makes it much easier to line up.

turbo addict

I took the thread title completely wrong.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

One shouldn't be calling the operator names, when it isn't the operator's fault.
    Yup, sounds like the buyer did a smart thing and uncovered an issue he didnt want to deal with, or would rather have fixed BEFORE he buys it. If i'm going to drive the piss out of a car after i buy it, im going to drive the piss out of a car BEFORE i buy it to make sure it isnt going to fall apart on the first try.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

So an engine isn't designed to run through the entire rev range up to redline?

I always say the redline is the maximum rpm that the manufacturers will guarantee the motor for 3 years at. Although back in the 80s maybe it was 1 year? My brothers Hyundai accent is warranteed to run 6500 rpm for 10 years.

Mitsu booster

Last car I sold, the first guy that test drove it flogged the snot out of it. Didn't find a single weakness in it, and I didn't care because it was about to be his. But then he didn't buy it! WTF? So the poor next guy that test drove it like a little old lady did buy it. Whatever! Selling cars is sooooo stressful.

That's the truth! And the people who suffer the most headache selling stuff are the people trying to get top dollar. Once you start adding up the value of all the time and frustration of dealing with selling something, you usually find out you could have just sold it for less in the first place and had no headaches. I've sold a lot of cars and i usually sell them cheap and fast. I dont have a lot of regrets because i always manage to buy even cheaper than i sell.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I always say the redline is the maximum rpm that the manufacturers will guarantee the motor for 3 years at. Although back in the 80s maybe it was 1 year?

I don't remember which, but in '87 Chrysler was either doing the 5/50 or 7/70 warranties.

Hybrid booster

7/70. 5/50 was in 86

Mitsu booster

Well... I guess im a lil more respectful to someone else's property. I don't have a problem with someone test driving a car and making sure its in good shape but, if you know any little about cars you don't have to rag on it to see if its in good shape or not. I don't need to redline a car. IF you know what to listen or look for you don't need to drive it like a retard, so to me doing that all your doing is ragging someone elses stuff. You cant hide a rod knock, or a lifter tick. Itll show at 4k rpms just like at 6k rpms. Someone doing that tells me they know nothing about cars and don't need to be buying a 30yr old, turbo, 5 speed, car anyways. He gave me 30 bucks for a new timing belt... Learned my lesson, for now on... cash is in my hand, drive it any way you want, break it, you just bought it... Anyways... Luckily it wasn't the timing belt. It was out of gas LOL. My fuel gauge was stuck and when he got on it hard, I guess the fuel sloshed and it died. Its running fine. I text him the next day and said it had ran out of gas, you didn't damage it, and thanks for the 30 bucks and.... in Regards to those that comment its the operators fault or agree its ok to rag a person's car, ill gladly come and drive the snot out of your car and if I break it, hand the keys to ya and walk away. Please let me know what time and place I need to be there....

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by philsxt; 08-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.

turbo addict

So, the title should be been, "quit running after an idiot forgot to put gas in"

Mitsu booster

Tryingbe... No, it should read... Another idiot response. Dude what is your problem ? Obviously your incapable of reading and understanding so ill break it down for ya... first of all I stated the fuel gauge must have stuck ( so I thought gas was in it ) secondly... its not about how I fixed the car its about some retard driving my car on city streets like a idiot and what I thought messed my car up and then walkedaway Thirdly... I would be more than happy to come and drive your ride and beat the snot out of it and walk away since you know everything im sure you would be first in line willing to do so ? NO, ? I didn't think so. Nuff said.

- - - Updated - - -

Its funny to me how you get "some" people willing to make smart a** comments but, when its time to put up or shut up nothing is said. So, ill say it again, anyone that thinks im wrong for getting upset the guy ragged on my car.... Please let me know when and where I need to pick up "your" car and ill drive the hell out of it and see how you feel ? Any takers ? Didn't think so.

turbo addict

Well your also talking to a guy that go pro'd people and stupid mistakes on the road cause you know e is the perfect driver.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by philsxt View Post
    Please let me know when and where I need to pick up "your" car and ill drive the hell out of it and see how you feel ? Any takers ? Didn't think so.
    Hey, if you want come to Phoenix and test drive my car, go for it.

When people test drive, they test drive the car, that means making sure everything works which include taking to redline, but that's "ragging" to you. How do you know what is the maximum PSI the turbo is set to? How do you know the car doesn't overboost? How do you test boost creep? How do you test boost spike?

Garrett booster

You kept his $30?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    That's the truth! And the people who suffer the most headache selling stuff are the people trying to get top dollar. Once you start adding up the value of all the time and frustration of dealing with selling something, you usually find out you could have just sold it for less in the first place and had no headaches. I've sold a lot of cars and i usually sell them cheap and fast. I dont have a lot of regrets because i always manage to buy even cheaper than i sell.
    I find that a lot with TVs. I always have someone offer a lower price (most are fair offers), but I always hold out waiting for that top dollar. In the end though, I end up selling for the price of the first offer, just 2 weeks later.