Thread: Power windows (G-body)

turbo addict

Power windows (G-body)

Power Windows... First off, THEY SUCK!

They go down fine but going up is painfully slow and at times I'm not sure if they are gonna make it closed....

What maintenance can I preform on them? Grease? Oil? New motor...? Ones in question are on an 88 Shelby Z.

I'm at a loss since I usually stay away from cars that have them at all costs, but now I need to deal with them....

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Jerk

Hybrid booster

Re: Power windows (G-body)

Grease on the plastic regulator tape.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    Grease on the plastic regulator tape.
    That helps for sure. I would also make sure there isn't a voltage drop going to the motor and that the "ground" is good and clan.

turbo addict

Kewl thanks fella's!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

It helps to clean as much of the old dried up grease off the moving parts as possible, as you'll also be removing 20 years of dust and dirt that stuck to it. Grease the motor gear, the plastic track, the metal guide (big long tube), and saturate the felt damper on the guide tube. Personally I use white lithium grease.

And btw, that looks like a very sharp Z.

Hybrid booster

good luck. I ripped everything out of mine. new motors, new tracks, new grease, everything new. still slow (though not as slow) and need to be pulled up at the top. Check the voltage like cordes said, that's another big part of it...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

If the car sits for long periods of time, make sure you get out there and use them on a regular basis. Those parts need to keep moving.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Option A. Clean out old grease. Use white lithium spray grease. Spray on all moving parts. Move window up and down a couple of times. Spray more grease. Move window again. Usually this really helps. If you need new motors, Rock Auto has driver's side for $29 and pass side for $51. I have the large rivets for the window motors if you need some.

Option B. Sell car to me for $300 before you dump any more time, effort and $ into it!!!
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Option B. Sell car to me for $300 before you dump any more time, effort and $ into it!!!
    duly noted and denied....

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    duly noted and denied....
    $400. That's my final offer, not a dime more.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

You may also want to look at the adjustments for the window glass. If it isn't set up correctly it will cause more drag on things and cause them to go really slow. The felt covered "feet" at the top of the door might be missing the felt by now and the rubber underneath might be acting like a brake. It also will trap dirt and scratch the living crap out of the glass!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    You may also want to look at the adjustments for the window glass. If it isn't set up correctly it will cause more drag on things and cause them to go really slow. The felt covered "feet" at the top of the door might be missing the felt by now and the rubber underneath might be acting like a brake. It also will trap dirt and scratch the living crap out of the glass!

About that! Where can you find adjustment instructions for the windows? I am having fits with my Shadow windows too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

I just mess with them until they do what I want them to. It's tedious, honestly. If there was some sort of adjustment instructions, man, I'd be down for that!

I'm sure there are instructions in the FSM.

The original factory grease that's used to lubricate these power window tracks seems to dry up with age and turn into a thick paste. From my experience it seems the most important step is to make sure the track/plastic regulator tape is as clean as possible before spraying it down with the white lithium. Liberal doses of carb/brake cleaner while moving the assembly up and down seems to do the trick for me...best of luck, and damn sharp looking Z!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

FYI folks. Joan Fabrics sells black velcro in 18"X 3/4" strips for ah couple bucks that work great for recovering the guides to prevents scratching the side glass. The fuzzy part BTW, the hooky part you can thro' away! BTWX2, It also works great for relining the channels of the front run on old vent window frame carz too. Ah little 3M 080880 spray and you're good to go, Jer

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    FYI folks. Joan Fabrics sells black velcro in 18"X 3/4" strips for ah couple bucks that work great for recovering the guides to prevents scratching the side glass. The fuzzy part BTW, the hooky part you can thro' away! BTWX2, It also works great for relining the channels of the front run on old vent window frame carz too. Ah little 3M 080880 spray and you're good to go, Jer
    Nice tip! Thanks!

I'll look in my '90 FSM, but I'm pretty sure there really isn't anything about adjusting the windows. If there is I'll be stoked! (Not that it applies here , but the FSM does explain how to correctly adjust the convertible top on LeBarons.)

It even tells you how to rebuild your own power steering pump and rack, recalibrate your speedometer, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Mitsu booster

Shows how remove and grease in my 92 and 93 FSM

turbo addict

I seem to remember there being a motor speed adjustment screw on the motor

I know GM's have one