Thread: Cams: CompCams Super 60 vs FWDperformance F4

Hybrid booster

Question Cams: CompCams Super 60 vs FWDperformance F4

I'm trying to decide which cam to use, my setup is very modified. I have a super 60 turbo, Lengel upper plenum, ported 58mm tbody, ported lower runners, ported big valve DC head, pt lifters and comp beehives, ported exhaust manifold, +40s, 3 bar, 2.5" intercooler piping, wiseco pistons, turbo 2 rods and crank, ss turbo lines, 4th cylinder coolant mod, big fmic.

I can get the comp cam for 1/2 the price of the F4 from my work.

I'm unfamiliar with cam specs for turbo cars, and what would be best for my build.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Frank

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Cams: CompCams Super 60 vs FWDperformance F4

subscribed
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

The only negative thing I've heard about the super 60 cam is wear issues. Never heard anyone say they made less power, or it felt slower, or it ran worse. Consider the billet rollerised version of the super 60 cam as well sold through "turbovanman" on here as well because it sounds like he's got the wear issues sorted out.

I've heard only good things from the f4 users as well. I'd like to hear more opinions as well.

Hybrid booster

Oooh he makes a billet roller s60 cam? If the price is right I might pick that up instead!

Garrett booster

I have Simons s60 cam. same setup as you minus the plenum (ported 2peice) and beehives (061 springs) (2.5 litre) I'm pulling 20 inch vac at idle.... i havent been able to really push it yet, but driving around the block seems ok...

Hybrid booster

Wow, your car sounds awesome! what exhaust are you running? How much boost?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
    I'm trying to decide which cam to use, my setup is very modified. I have a super 60 turbo, Lengel upper plenum, ported 58mm tbody, ported lower runners, ported big valve DC head, pt lifters and comp beehives, ported exhaust manifold, +40s, 3 bar, 2.5" intercooler piping, wiseco pistons, turbo 2 rods and crank, ss turbo lines, 4th cylinder coolant mod, big fmic.

I can get the comp cam for 1/2 the price of the F4 from my work.

I'm unfamiliar with cam specs for turbo cars, and what would be best for my build.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    The only negative thing I've heard about the super 60 cam is wear issues. Never heard anyone say they made less power, or it felt slower, or it ran worse. Consider the billet rollerised version of the super 60 cam as well sold through "turbovanman" on here as well because it sounds like he's got the wear issues sorted out.

I've heard only good things from the f4 users as well. I'd like to hear more opinions as well.
    Couple things I'd like to point out. The Comp cams s-60 is a slider profile. History has shown us they have about a 90% or higher failure rate due to ramps of cam profile being to aggressive for that style of camshaft follower. Yes there are a few guys that have had some success running them, but unless you are willing to roll the dice and play very close attention to open and closed spring pressures, I would stay away from it. The stock slider cams had problems with longevity, imagine a camshaft profile with .070 more lift. If your camshaft does not survive, where is all that debris going inside your engine and turbo? Think your oil filter is catching it all? Why take that chance to save a bit of cash.
    IMO, the roller camshafts from our vendors are a better choice than the slider s-60 for a number of reasons. Better durability, better driveability, slightly better idle quality, and a little better low end torque than the original s-60.
    FOR THE RECORD the camshafts being touted as "billet" are not billet. They are merely hardened CAST camshafts cut from roller cam blanks. Not saying a roller cam blank is a bad thing at all, just saying it is not billet. In other words just like a stock roller camshaft, but with a different cam profile. I have yet to see a single true billet camshaft from any of the vendors selling them for our 8V SOHC applications.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Good info, thanks! The whole reason I don't want to go slider is I had a brand new rocker that busted the hardened part, then caught on the cam, breaking the lobe of the lifter, I only found all the pieces of it once I finally pulled the motor 6 months later.

turbo addict

I sit corrected about the billet comment. What I was getting at was to differentiate the regrind from the new blank because it sounds like the OP has his PT lifter shim thing already sorted out.

So who has an F4 that wants to give an opinion?

Hybrid booster

Well I've been asking around at work (a very big speed shop, don't know if I'm allowed to say the name on forums and such) and the engine builder for our race team said that the f4 cam will be allot better, the only good thing about the s60 is the lift and the F4s other specs blow it out of the water for my build.

Garrett booster

the exhaust was off at that point... but a 3".

The plan is to run it till i hear a scottsman yell "I'm Givin' Her All She's Got, Captain!"

Hybrid booster

Hehe, I was thinking about an open downpipe out the passenger side behind the front tire ^_^