Thread: 89 Lancer Shelby Restoration, via 88 Z parts car, a few ?'s

Hybrid booster

89 Lancer Shelby Restoration, via 88 Z parts car, a few ?'s

Seeing as how I have a bunch of free time right now I'm looking to finally tackle a project I've been wanting to get to for a while now. I bought a 89 Lancer Shelby Shell (no drivetrain or engine bay wiring ) a while back and have a 88 Shelby Z donor. The Daytona mechanicals are all new or very freshly rebuilt. I managed to find the correct H body T-II harness (big +). I'm not worried about swapping over the engine/trans radiator stuff. My big questions are about the brake system and differences between 88/89 front suspension. My plan is to swap over the booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve from the Daytona to the Lancer and swap the entire rear axle with all the 88 Disc brake stuff (brand new calipers on the parts car) Can the existing brake lines on the lancer body be used otherwise? Should the lancer have big brakes on the front being an 89? If so will they work ok with the 88 Daytona rear disc brake stuff mentioned above, or should I swap over the 88 Daytona front brake stuff as well to keep it balanced? I have no idea if it even mounts up or not from an 88 to 89 front. Plan on swapping the eibach and koni's from the Daytona onto the lancer as well, and pretty sure they should mount ok from a G to an H if I recall correctly. Anything I should be looking out for on my swaps? Sorry if I have asked stupid or repetitive questions here. I'm not the greatest or most experienced here when it comes to these kinds of projects, so wanted to ask before I dive in.

Hybrid booster

Re: 89 Lancer Shelby Restoration, via 88 Z parts car, a few ?'s

I would stray away from the 87-88 rear disc on the daytona. They use a different design than the 89+ units, and have a pin that is used to retract the caliper piston or e brake parts tbat siezes itself to the caliper unit.

Hybrid booster

Being how I have these parts and haven't had any problems with seizing here in rust free socal, I'd like to use what have and wondered if it will work. Had hoped more folks might chime in...hoping to start on this very soon.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Everything will swap over. You will be able to use the existing brake hoses near the trailing arm attachment points for the rear axle (assuming you can separate them without ruining them, common problem in my experience). I would keep the 89 k-frame from the Lancer and all the Lancer front brakes as they should be either the same, or functionally equivalent to whats on the front of an 88 Daytona Z. The springs, struts, and shocks are all a direct swap although ride height may change due to weight differences.

Should be a very straightforward operation. Post pics of this Lancer somewhere. I just sold an 87 Shelby Lancer and still have an 88 Lancer Shelby which i will be doing some work to.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Yes, plan on keeping the dual pivot 89 K frame. I figured most of it would swap over, but wanted to know from someone who knows. I figure I will just use my 88 front disc set up for now, since everything on the parts Daytona is new. I'll post up some pics in a day or two. Spent some time this afternoon removing stuff from the Daytona ( interior wiring & dash wiring ) that's going in another daytona with a great body, but chopped up wiring with issues. Thanks for the response!